It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is writing to my MP a waste of time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Thoriumisbest

Nice OP...
Concise and to the point..

Voting for your MP is a waste of time so writing to them certainly is..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I always believe it is better to at least do something so that you can say that you tried rather than admit you never did anything. Otherwise if you don't do anything at all then you have no right to complain.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
It's a complete waste of time.

Some minion willl likley just send you a form letter back stating that they thank you for your point of view and will do thier best to represent your thoughts to the government.

The reality is you're gonna get whatever they tell you.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Some minion willl likley just send you a form letter back stating that they thank you for your point of view and will do thier best to represent your thoughts to the government.

I disagree..
I think they read some over free drinks and have a good laugh at the expense of the poor smucks they suckered into voting for them..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

I disagree..
I think they read some over free drinks and have a good laugh at the expense of the poor smucks they suckered into voting for them..

So it has good entertainment value.

Have you considered becomming a comedian?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

So it has good entertainment value.

Have you considered becomming a comedian?

Nah, I laugh too much..

Life's too short to worry...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

To quote a famous Australian saying "They're a Weird Mob". Unless it will get them more votes or make them look like the best person in the world it's a waste of time. No matter what your country is!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
MP's hold surgery's where you can go and see them face to face. This maybe a more effective way of contacting your MP. Im thinking about going to see mine, just need to make sure im fully prepared with research before hand.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Total waste of time and effort.
I could go on and tell you about the ignorance of all three parties here in the UK but i`d bore you with their ignorance.
I suggest the only way you`ll get them to take notice is to protest.
We need to start protesting again ( like we used to ) to get them to listen but we`ll have to get a move on because
it looks like they`ll be out-lawing protests soon.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I believe it is important. If enough people do it it sends a strong message... imo.

second

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
I believe it is important. If enough people do it it sends a strong message... imo.

second

Yeah right....

Secretary: "Mr MP, you know we are receiving 10000 complaints a day now? "
MP: " OMG, elections are close.Get my spin doctors together to write up another lying speach.We'll promise them tax cuts in 2013..Oh, and is my bunker berth booked?"

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
You’ll do far more by writing to your MP than any of these useless cynics do by sniping from the sideline.

Do as Woodward said, the best thing would be to meet them in person but if you need to write to them actually write to them, as in pen and paper and don’t email. Email is good for minor things but they do get a huge number of them and yours is not likely to stand out.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Do as Woodward said, the best thing would be to meet them in person but if you need to write to them actually write to them, as in pen and paper and don’t email. Email is good for minor things but they do get a huge number of them and yours is not likely to stand out.

Good advice and exactly what I heard the ABC radio announcer say the other day..
A letter is so rare nowadays that they tend to get read more than an email..
Funny how that works..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
It's not a cut-and-dry crosscut among politicians; some will care more than others about a healthy issue. You stand a chance of reaching a decent person if you send a letter, but I'll bet you could do far more if you made an actual attempt to line their pockets, as all good lobbyists know, 101. The system isn't that hard to work with now, is it?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

second

Yeah right....

Secretary: "Mr MP, you know we are receiving 10000 complaints a day now? "
MP: " OMG, elections are close.Get my spin doctors together to write up another lying speach.We'll promise them tax cuts in 2013..Oh, and is my bunker berth booked?"

Until the country has become totally fascist, public opinion does still count in certain cases at least. Or, alternatively, let's just do nothing and let them do what the hell they like.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
It’s also worth remembering that your MP probably has little if any actual power, unless they’re in a cabinet/shadow cabinet or committee position then they only really have the ability to lobby others. Make sure that there isn’t someone better you could be talking to; if it’s a local issue it might be better to get in touch with your council. If it’s a national/international issue then get in touch with your MP but don’t stop at just them; also contact select committee members, the cabinet and shadow cabinet minister responsible and the PM but make sure it’s relevant to them as you might just end up on a spam list.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

If you happen to write to them with an issue that they think would lead to some good PR then you might get a reply

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

reply to post by Mike_A

Good advice and exactly what I heard the ABC radio announcer say the other day..
A letter is so rare nowadays that they tend to get read more than an email..
Funny how that works..

An email, a phone call, a letter...each of them has different weight in terms of how many people's opinions that missive might represent. Folks pay attention. If you don't get a timely response, complain about that, too...keep ramping it up til you hear back. Another avenue is an open letter to the editor of your local fishwrap. That puts your topic of concern in front of other folks as well.

It's imperative to pass your thoughts along to your local reps...when they do a good job as well as when they screw up. But the bottom line is that they DO have to get re-elected so they DO have to respond to their adoring public.

Another thought? Join the party and you have better access to your rep and the policy makers. I pay $10 a month to a Federal party...not much BUT...it gives me a voice.

You write off the system, you don't vote and you never contact your MP or MPP...then you may as well not complain cuz you have become part of the problem and nobody wants to hear your whining.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join