It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The GAP Anti American? GAPs Made-In-USA Bag.....MADE in CHINA!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
LINK

The Gap is having branding problems. Two months after their logo misstep, they are now selling a "Made in USA" branded "FEED" bag. But, oh my, how awkward: The tag inside Gap's bag says it's actually made in China.

At least someone's feeding the Chinese kids? U-S-A! U-S-A!

For every "FEED USA" bag it sells, Gap donates an American-earmarked $5 to FEED, Lauren Bush's charity for fighting hunger

Well, the GAP seems to have had a nice idea to gain some decent publicity with the Feed charity donations.

But to market something that has Made In America emblazoned on its product, when the product itself was made in China is really something.

I don't know if this will negatively affect their bottom line, but in my opinion it makes the GAP look really bad. I know plenty of Americans who would have GLADLY made these bags.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well, I suppose China does own America now, so it's only kind of false labeling eh?
definitely a facepalm moment

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
A similar thing happened with Burberry in the UK.

They spent years and years telling people not to buy Chinese copies because they were inferior and to support a British company and then they moved their whole production line to China and made nearly all of their British workers redundant

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Gawd over here in Australia the companies only have to meet minor requirements in order to slap a "Made In Australia" sticker on it. Something as small as the buttons on a shirt being made here is cause enough to whack a Made In Oz label on it.

I think you will find that America is much the same these days.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Can anyone here on ats direct me to someplace that sell "made in the U.S.A" computers? Really, I want a computer made entirely in the U.S....is there no such thing? Did we skip the last 40 years of computer developments?

In regards to gap, it surprises me they would slip up like this considering that it could have an effect on sales, though, I buy my clothes at Wal-Mart... ...
edit on 16-12-2010 by SmokeandShadow because: added

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I'm not sure they are anti-American as much as they are pro-profit and totally stupid about foreseeing how it would look. They may have not thought beyond.... "Ok, we are giving away $5 on each of these we sell. Where can we get the bags the cheapest so we can still make the most money on them?!" It follows the general outsourcing trend.

Heck last year even the army faced a lots of bad press when people found out the they were giving the troops berets made in China and had to backtrack on it.

The reason for the GAP doing it is the same with many things companies do. Their thought process often ends with figuring out what will generate the maximum profit.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Your best bet if you are looking for a "made in USA" computer is to either find a small local shop (or individual) that builds them and have them do it - or just buy the parts and put it together yourself (it isn't that hard).

You'll basically be getting "assembled in USA" - but I honestly don't know if you could even find all the parts (motherboard, CPU, ram, etc) that were made in the USA - they may not exist anymore.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Gawd over here in Australia the companies only have to meet minor requirements in order to slap a "Made In Australia" sticker on it. Something as small as the buttons on a shirt being made here is cause enough to whack a Made In Oz label on it.

I think you will find that America is much the same these days.
Wow, so much for truth in advertising.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I just replied in another thread about this. I have a pair of boots (Irish Setter) that are the cats meow as far as I am concerned and are of top quality. I was positive that they were made by my neighbours to the south but upon inspection of the tag, it does indeed state "made in China".

Now they must have great quality assurance there but I still would rather they be made by my friends to the south. It really does come down to the bottom line I guess.

You can find something like a shirt here that is made entirely in Canada, but the price is three of four time that of one made in China. A real shame for sure as many cannot afford to support their own countries due to the cost difference.

top topics

join