It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HIV cured with stem-cells in Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
L ink to article

Timothy Brown, an American living in Berlin, was given stem-cell therapy and chemotherapy in 2007 to treat leukemia, a condition that developed after he was infected with the AIDS virus.

Three years later, doctors believe the 42-year-old has been cured of both cancer and HIV.

"Our results strongly suggest that cure of HIV has been achieved in this patient," wrote study author Kristina Allers in this month's issue of the medical journal Blood.

Doctors say they treated Brown with stem cells and bone marrow from a healthy individual with a genetic predisposition to resist HIV.

Doctors believe Brown is the first person ever to be cured of HIV and say the treatment could pave the way for a new approach in fighting the virus.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, I used the search function but found only 4 articles, non-related.

This is a breakthrough, so now we have to see who wants to make money off of this cure. Maybe someone will patent the stem-cells that resist HIV? There's so much money in giving people treatments rather than cures, it would be bad business to release a cure to a disease like this. And how could this play into the conspiracy that HIV was man-made to control population? Will we now see a similar disease wreak havoc on humanity now that this one has been cured? Or, and this is a stretch, but an entertaining one: can the virus adapt to the treatment, and maybe cause a ZOMBIE OUTBREAK!?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
didnt they say steroids cured HIV? anyways my question is So now we can have sex without condoms and not worry?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It's great to see some positive news for all of those infected un-willingly by the virus living in a sustainable environment.

I do reserve my feelings that this will be quietly swept under the rug for at least a decade...and it will be scrutinized... heavily... I do hope for the best.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This is certainly going to be controversial to say the least. The arguments over stem cell research is already a hot debate in many places, and the fact that these German scientists have discovered that stem cells and bone marrow from an HIV resistive patient can possibly cure an infected person is monumentally encouraging.

Hopefully they will discover if it works well enough to bring to the forefront and accurately discern what causes the blindness and speech problems so they can be omitted from the equation. I would absolutely love to see this brought forward to help those suffering from the virus. I would also love to see stem cell research funded across the board to help the millions with various ailments from viruses to birth defects. Less bombs, more medical research! Screw the pharmaceutical companies and the corporate douche bags. Stem cell research can possibly pave the way for less suffering and a better, healthier planet.

Thank you for the article, OP
edit on 15-12-2010 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Question is will the pharmaceutical lobbyist let this hit the general medical treatments. A lot of money in treating symptoms and not curing anything.....I truly hope that HIV and cancer van be cured.....But we all know that after these are cured we will be facing some kind of alien virus of some sort.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondthepast
didnt they say steroids cured HIV? anyways my question is So now we can have sex without condoms and not worry?

Never heard of the steroid thing. Google only tells me steroids help HIV people gain weight.

Sex without condoms? Still other STDs out there... and this treatment has yet to be adopted by the world's medical community, so chances of getting this treatment are close to nil at this point.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
Question is will the pharmaceutical lobbyist let this hit the general medical treatments. A lot of money in treating symptoms and not curing anything.....I truly hope that HIV and cancer van be cured.....But we all know that after these are cured we will be facing some kind of alien virus of some sort.

You're correct in asking those questions. The big pharm corporations in the U.S. are nothing more than a medical mafia of sorts. Money certainly does make the world go round and it's disgusting. We can debate this until we are all blue in the face. From whether or not AIDS and Cancer research have had breakthroughs in the past and were buried, to whether or not AIDS is manmade for an agenda. It's all just disgusting.

It really is refreshing to actually read an article such as this. Gotta hand it to the Germans. Often, they are on the cutting edge of medical research.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

ive seen it on the documentary Bigger Stronger Faster* about steroids and its side effects and other stuff about it,anyway then they interview a guy whos diagnosed with HIV and how steroids saved his life.I think it repairs many blood cells and make his life longer or something like that

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
There is no profit in a cure unless the cure is more expensive then the overall treatment cost.

Why bank say 30k for a person that is going to die in a few years if you can benefit more by charging them say 50k for a cure. That way they can still make the gov money by paying taxes in the long run aswell.

top topics

join