It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$6.2 Million Ad, A Extravagance I can do without

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I came across this today, and I have to say in a way it kind of made me mad. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the art and creativity of it, but the waste is what bugs me.

The fact that it took 6.2 million to create this little masterpiece that only last for 90 seconds, and was probably not even aired that many times disturbs me.

People are always asking what they can do to change things... How about one little step here and letting the producers of this ad know you would have rather them spend 1 million if they must to show us a picture of what they are selling and feed hungry people with the other 5 million.

I would be way more impressed with a commercial that opened with a scrolling script something like this:

"We could have spent 6.2 million to make a fancy commercial, but we decided to spend 1 million and show this picture instead. We thought it was fancy enough to stand on its own. We gave the other 5 million to feed and help house our fellow man because we thought that was important too."

I would be way more impressed with a commercial like that. I would be sitting on my couch saying Good for You. I think I can support that.

I would applaud it and share it with as many as I knew, or I sure would be talking about it. Im sure people are talking about this ad as well, but I highly doubt it is because of the Vehicle they are trying to sell. Nope, I bet it is just because it is a cool ad. I bet three quarters of the people have no idea who the ad was for.

We get so much waste in advertisement and it could go to so many better causes. I wonder how many millions were wasted on the pervert Burger King, and that used to be my favorite if I was going eat something like that. Now all I have is a creepy vision of some kind of pervert in my head. Needless to say, I dont go there anymore.

I don't know, maybe we are protesting the wrong things. Maybe if we come from a different angle. It still hits in the pocket and that is a must as it hits ours too. After all, you know we pay for the ad somehow. The Whopper might only cost $2.00 if we weren't absorbing the price to watch a creepy king.

Even the Superbowl is out of control. I mean I do like to watch them, but I could certainly live without all the fancy trimmings if I new the money was going to something worthwhile and benefiting man. Face it, Billions are spent that day.The fact we are all ready paying players outrageous amounts to entertain us to begin with is enough for the day I think.

I can only speak for me, but this is one form of extravagance I can really live without if I know the obvious excess was going to a good cause.

What do you think?

The video:

edit on 14-12-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Flag for you young man/lady. I cant see the vid because its blocked, but i know the type it is. I thoroughly agree with your idea, that sort of advert would stay in my mind for ages and maybe give the company some credence for their philanthropy.
By the way, i thought it was just me with the burger king king, but he freaks me out, hes really creepy.
Good post.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Should have had these guys do the commercial...maybe save a few bucks and make a better Rube Goldberg machine as well.

THAT'S how it's done folks...that car commercial is fisher-price in comparison.

Also- I agree with the OP...total waste of money.

MM

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Seriously.

The most boring $6 million 60 seconds ever.

Remember 20 years ago when this display of physics was interesting?

If only Honda used the $6 Million to do something productive for once they would get a lot more loyal customers that buy their vehicles because they respect them as a company... not because they saw them make a bolt hit another bolt and roll down a board for $6 million.

I will never buy a Honda because I now know that they have tunnel-vision for corporate growth and don't give a damn about how much money they blow on useless nonsense during the most detrimental economic crisis we've ever known.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Flag for you young man/lady. I cant see the vid because its blocked, but i know the type it is. I thoroughly agree with your idea, that sort of advert would stay in my mind for ages and maybe give the company some credence for their philanthropy.
By the way, i thought it was just me with the burger king king, but he freaks me out, hes really creepy.
Good post.

Thank you for the response. Maybe if you can see the video Mr Mask posted below it will give you some idea of how the other one went.

That King needs to go in the Bin forever, he is not doing anything constructive at all. Well wait, maybe he is, I dont eat that kind of food anymore! Friggin creepy pervert! No it is not you, I have heard many say that actually.

Yes, I must agree, a form of Philanthropy would go way further with me. Least then the price is well worth it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Mr Mask, I see State Farm had their finger in that one. I do have to agree video to video that one definitely rocked, but how much was spent there? That is another big waste of money too really, Music videos, but I do have to say I so enjoy them. Some videos have really brought a song to life for me. Could I give that up? Of course, If I Knew it was bettering man.

The first video took 606 takes, thats a few man hours, wonder what yours took.

I guess I just feel this is another classic example of messed up priorities. Lets get our world straightened out first then create to our little hearts content.

Thanks for posting that though...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

We totally agree on the unnecessary waste of money in the entertainment/advertising fields. Really, so much of the world has gone insane watching movies be made that cost enough cash to feed entire cities for a year or more, and commercials costing more money then any of use will ever see in one lifetime.

The world is filled the starving and poverty stricken...and yet we all watch these frivolous forms of entertainment while we assume we are innocent and not part of the problem.

That car commercial you posted is a crown jewel on the brow of a glutinous king of depravity and waste.

MM

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

We totally agree on the unnecessary waste of money in the entertainment/advertising fields. Really, so much of the world has gone insane watching movies be made that cost enough cash to feed entire cities for a year or more, and commercials costing more money then any of use will ever see in one lifetime.

The world is filled the starving and poverty stricken...and yet we all watch these frivolous forms of entertainment while we assume we are innocent and not part of the problem.

That car commercial you posted is a crown jewel on the brow of a glutinous king of depravity and waste.

MM

Very well put. I concur.
The question to me now is, how do we start a ball rolling that we dont want or need this anymore, or at least until we fix the things that need a lot of work?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by onehuman

The question to me now is, how do we start a ball rolling that we dont want or need this anymore, or at least until we fix the things that need a lot of work?

I spend many hours a week contemplating that question. I've been on a war against the media for a few years now and have completely removed most media from my life (still watch Dr Who, and about 6 movies a year, but I should stop).

I think the best way to kill this beast is for people to ignore it...hate it...remove it from their lives and let it starve. But try telling anyone who watches TV that it is wrong, ad you just made a very loud enemy instantly.

I swear...people defend that box like its a parent.

But I really think the media is dying...with the pirates stealing it, the growth of the internet's user-made media, and the increasingly "bad" content...I think its dying.

But to won't be dead until people start being angered by all these famous movie stars and stop worshiping them.

The best I can do is quit watching it all, and boycott the products advertised by them...Its all I got.

MM

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The short answer is that we can't. This is why we have the ridiculously regurgitated propaganda of "our forefathers". The people that founded this country were greedy narcissists, and put themselves at the top of the ladder... and then claim that this country is a "democracy" that is run by "the people"...
. The politicians love this method since it puts them at the top of the ladder, so they often sensationalize the ideals of "our forefathers" and "our freedoms". They got wealthy exploiting it and it won't change.

This country is full of too many nationalists who hide behind a veil of patriotism to even realize that the only way to stop this nonsense is to overthrow those in charge who allow it to happen on a regular basis because it is making them millions of dollars in all those tax dollars from huge productions like this that mysteriously disappear every year.

Like pretty much all of our modern problems in this country, the solution lies at the source of the problem. Fortunately these people reside in only two federal buildings. Too bad only a "terrorist" like Timothy McVeigh would want to do something about it... right? Cause that's exactly what Fox News told us, bunch of "terrorists!"
. I'm sure I don't have to post the ridiculous amounts of tax grants Fox News and CNN get from the federal government to make sure that the population is too busy worrying about Katy Perry's boobs to realize what a fascist sh*hole this country is turning into...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

They actually filmed a section of an advert like this outside of my flats last year, I can't see the original video but for the one they filmed here the filled up the entire walkway with old wardrobes and then used them like dominoes. It took them several days.

If your spending 6.2 million on an advert I guess the company believes they will make at least 60 million out of it.

I don't even know what company it is as I can't see the ad, what are they selling?

Edit to add
Is this it?

edit on 14-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Edit to add again

If it's for the Honda Accord then the car is $21000 base price, so they only have to sell 300 cars to make the money back (obviously it would be more depending on their profit margin on the car) so if they sell 3000 based on the ad then they are in good profit
edit on 14-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Yes Dave that is it. Kind of sad a beauty of it is pretty much useless and a waste isnt it?

I have said so many times I wish the people would strike and just stay home one day... Maybe that is too extreme for starters. Maybe if they just turned off their tvs for a day. Would the Nelson ratings notice?

The night the lights went out... the light of flickering secrets and mind boggling waste. Is that as useless a dream as the dont buy gas day, or any of the other hundred other things people have tried to attempt to make a change?

Probably so....gezzzz Louise... where do we start? So frustrating really

new topics

top topics

join