It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mapping facebook friends-worldwide: (Cool & Interesting mapping)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Facebook has changed the world. This is what happens when you show who's friends with who

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d05a896cdb93.jpg[/atsimg]

How do you visualise a social phenomenon? Paul Butler at Facebook has just produced this visualisation of pairs of facebook friends around the world. He says of the process: Visualizing data is like photography. Instead of starting with a blank canvas, you manipulate the lens used to present the data from a certain angle… When the data is the social graph of 500 million people, there are a lot of lenses through which you can view it. One that piqued my curiosity was the locality of friendship. I was interested in seeing how geography and political borders affected where people lived relative to their friends. I wanted a visualization that would show which cities had a lot of friendships between them. It shows a map of the world with great holes in it: Russia, China, Africa and South America. Facebook is very much a western beast.

Source: www.guardian.co.uk...#

Me, I am not into Facebook but I do recognize it's value and potential-from what I knon of it. Looks pretty freaking cool. Way to go.

A real game changer but my problem is the accessibility of info people have on you. I use Facebook on several types of my cases and with good finds. People love to show them selves off-to feel connected/wanted.

I am sure it will be used against many more people. I hear stories almost every week how an employeer used things they found on Facebook against potential hires-or even current employees.

Good luck with all that. I can still be reach by mail or my landline. Take care.

PS: The map/photo is one of those ones you can click on to make bigger (at the main article)

edit on 12/14/2010 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I got to thinking about this map and what it represents-IMO.

It represents what I feel is the biggest problem of Facebood. Privacy.

Think about this. The creator(s) of this map was able to follow the established electronic path to the persons residence. Weird-to me.

Too much of a good think can be a bad thing....

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Interesting.. But no thanks.. Want nothing to do with farcebook I value my privacy.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

If you never thought that prior, this map would make me think the same.

I must have heard Facebook in 5 different news stories on the media tonight. Kind of creepy.

top topics

join