It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question about collapse of dollar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
if a person exchanged their dollars now for another foreign currency (not euro) would that protect what money a person has when/if the dollar is devalued? i can't buy gold (too expensive now) so what's the next best thing?

have any of you watched the Stansberry & Associates Investment Research video?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
My guess would be silver, first, if not then perhaps the currency of a resource rich, more stable country....
Canadian bucks maybe?
Or canadian bonds?
Switzerland would be a very stable currency too perhaps....?
maybe even the best bet would be safest with swiss cash? anybody else got an opine?
Ive got some bucks to save from drowning too....thanks

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Most currencies in the world are tied directly to the dollar,the US dollar is the worlds reserve currency and a collapse of the dollar is really a world currency collapse. Think mad max on steriods. Check on silver,not paper silver but real physical silver.

I'm sure some people more knowledgable than me will come along to answer your question better than I can.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Personally I would go for silver...

Unless the currency I planned to invest in was a country I planned to escape to.. as it would still only be paper..

Edit to add: But I don't think they'll ever allow that to happen...
edit on 11/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Simple diversification of your limited assets:

Silver, Copper jacketed lead, and Long Term storage food.

In the event of massive dollar devaluation (of god forbid massive hyper-inflation) your Food will cost a fortune.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
1) Diversification is key

2) Don't be afraid of gold. You can buy 1/2oz, 1/4oz, 1/10oz coins as limited funds permit - which might prove more usable as a medium of exchange in a SHTF scenario. Picture this ... "I just need some food for a couple weeks for my family. Got change for a kilo bar of gold?"

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Physical Silver would be best, if price is an issue

Caution: Be sure to have any commodities you purchase checked out, and verified as pure.

There have been reports of lead sealed with gold/silver plating being passed off as pure.

Do not buy stock in silver, allegedly, these are false stock options not backed by physical assets
edit on 11-12-2010 by thewholepicture because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2010 by thewholepicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
A few items that might be more fun to invest in right now and will gain value are classic autos,boats and motorcycles. The classic autos I've been looking at are currently priced at about 2/3 of real value or less.

I'll give an example,my friend was recently able (last week) to purchase a totally restored 66 ss396 Chevelle for $20K,two years ago this same car would have been somewhere between $30 and $40K so it was a real good buy and its an investment you can use and enjoy.

If the economy picks up so will this market and you can sell and make a tidy profit too. I think some of the new tax codes will prohibit selling and putting all that profit in your pocket but you'll probably not want to sell once you posess your dream car anyway.

If you dont know what your doing though you can get burned here buying a clone or a shoddy restoration. Either find someone who does know this market or study up on it before throwing that kind of change around. Also a car like this must have a nice indoor safe parking spot so a garage is in order. Same for classic boat or motorcycle.

Collecter guns are always a safe investment that have dual use again knowledge is needed to purchase wisely but the research materials are readily available.

top topics

join