It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-WikiLeakers to launch new Openleaks site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Ex-WikiLeakers to launch new Openleaks site

news.cnet.com

WikiLeaks will soon have some competition on the whistle-blowing front.

Several people who resigned from the WikiLeaks project amid conflicts with organizer Julian Assange are planning to launch a new site called Openleaks on Monday, Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter reported today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www .smh.com.au
[url=http://thenextweb.com/media/2010/12/10/wikileaks-defectors-launching-openleaks-in-protest-of-methods-used-by-julian-assange/]thenextweb.com[/ur l]

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Fantastic! I actually predicted this in another thread about a week ago and wondered what would start to happen if WikiLeaks created dissent within their organisation. Looks like the time has come, Open Leaks will be more of a peer to peer journalistic media sharing service as opposed to having everything stored onsite in a single data center.

I actually approve of this greatly, the more the merrier i said once before. Perhaps this competition may even speed up the release of Cablegate and perhaps even more.

I was aware of some friction within the group, but not to this extent. Let the games begin!

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Let the leaks pour in. After hearing what John Young had to say today about the potential truth about Wikileaks, I am way more interested. Good looking out.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Good find, I guess it was inevitable but now we have to figure out which organisation is genuine and which isn't. Who knows they could both be bogus for all we know still? Lets hope Openleaks can show which side it's on clearly.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This might also shed a bit more light on the situation

A purported transcript of the chat provided to Wired.com by a WikiLeaks insider shows the conversation grew heated.

“You are not anyone’s king or god,” wrote Domscheit-Berg in the chat. “And you’re not even fulfilling your role as a leader right now. A leader communicates and cultivates trust in himself. You are doing the exact opposite. You behave like some kind of emperor or slave trader.”

“You are suspended for one month, effective immediately,” Assange shot back. “If you wish to appeal, you will be heard on Tuesday.”

Domscheit-Berg did not provide the transcript to Wired.com, but confirmed the substance of the chat in an interview with Wired.com. The promised “appeal” was never heard, and Domscheit-Berg’s suspension was followed by his resignation last Saturday.

“Julian is a really brilliant person and he has a lot of very, very special talents,” Domscheit-Berg says. “We’ve always [thrived by] a diversity of qualities that different people bring in…. That works as long as you’re working in a team. But whenever you lose that spirit, then one of the qualities just becomes too dominant in some ways — such as taking solitary decisions and thinking that you’re in a position to do that.”

Domscheit-Berg announced his resignation in an interview with Der Spiegel. By then, a key WikiLeaks programmer had resigned as well, sources say. The coder was responsible for building the software tool WikiLeaks’ volunteers were using to perform a painstaking, line-by-line harm-minimization review of the Iraq logs.

Then Snorrason, the Icelandic university student, resigned after he challenged Assange on his decision to suspend Domscheit-Berg and was bluntly rebuked.

“I am the heart and soul of this organization, its founder, philosopher, spokesperson, original coder, organizer, financier and all the rest,” Assange wrote Snorrason. “If you have a problem with me, piss off.”

“I believe that Julian has in fact pushed the capable people away,” Snorrason said in an interview with Wired.com. “His behavior is not of the sort that will keep independent-minded people interested.”

Snorrason says he does not know the source of the Iraq documents, and made clear he wouldn’t identify that source if he did. But he expressed some concern that Assange’s decision to release the massive database would impact the legal case of Pfc. Bradley Manning, who has been charged with improperly downloading and leaking classified information to WikiLeaks. Manning disclosed to a former hacker in May that he had given WikiLeaks a database covering 500,000 events in the Iraq War between 2004 and 2009. Manning said the database included reports, dates, and latitude and longitude of events, as well as casualty figures.

FULL CHAT LOG

edit on 9-12-2010 by plexus because: additional information added

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Maybe he know what in the insurance.aes256 file
may get a much faster release of info

But I don't think he know the password and if he did he would release it

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is obviously a propped up/disinfo/shill/ organization. They want to track who is leaking where so they can further tighten their grip.
"Openleaks" Oh wow, that sounds so inviting and safe, and its not so filled with controversy like wikileaks, cuz that would be like real life and that makes me uncomfortable, so openleaks is way better!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I just hope it does not turn out to be one of those useless sites with a "catchy" name and zero substancial (real things, not just hoaxes and other attention seekers) data. Example: disclose.tv

Peace

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So now we have Leaks about the Leaks, and these leaks ain't pretty. Turns out Assange is a POS Napoleonic type egocentric figure, which I suspected all the way.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
So now we have Leaks about the Leaks, and these leaks ain't pretty. Turns out Assange is a POS Napoleonic type egocentric figure, which I suspected all the way.

May be a good thing after all could get into a race to see who disclose it the fastest and has the most good content
Bad if any of the two is a honeypot may take time to find out thou

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Is it true that open leaks will not be hosting any leaked files on thier servers? I understand they are only acting as middle men between the leaker and the media.

I am a bit wary of this as this could be a means for the MSM to filter what leaks out. If real juicy bits of infomation leaks out on alternative news sites than I be assured.

I got a feeling deep down that the goverments know that people want leak sites to exsit. So with Openleaks its like here you are, you got the truth, forget wikileaks. Im very skeptical about this at the mo.

top topics

join