It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London Student protests live (BBC feed)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Looks like it's been getting fiesty. Big fire in parliment square earlier, looks like they've set fire to the chrsitmas tree now. The students have been fighting back, broken windows at the treasury and I gather a fair few arrests.

Just as it was kicking off again (they gave the broadcaster a helmet) feed went off (can't be filming police brutality now, can we) aah, it's back on just as I type this.

Tune in.

Edit. these kids are hardcore. they're trying to storm the Treasury building! (it's full of riot cops too, but they don't care, they're ramming the doors)
edit on 9/12/2010 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Power to the people, Long live humanity and not dictatorship.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Feed isn't working, is it for anyone else?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

No heroism there, no real protest, just a group of people out trying to beat up policemen.

Been watching it all afternoon. Its the usual fayre. Its perfectly possible to make a point without resorting to violence, but the "cause" that is happening there is nothing to do with student fees and everything to do with having a ruck for the sake of it.

Its sad to see.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

US Gov't censoring feed? Hmmm...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Not sure, try going to the bbc website and getting on it direct. maybe it only works in the UK?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I believe its more to do with the tuition hikes... Screw that. Pay more for school, that's a laugh.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

So the average college student over there pays around 5,000.00 a year from what I understand..they will jump to 14,000.00 a year after it trickles out to completion. So is it that the government cannot afford to continue this? I guess it would be the same thing if people from the U.S. were severly cut through their welfare pay....seems to me that this is what happens when people feel entitled..as with all government sponsored acts of charity all money will eventually run out or your taxes will increase...you would think that the parents would be protesting...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
For those who can't get the bbc link to work, try the sky one
news.sky.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

sky news works, just not live footage of protests yet... Waiting...will update asap.
edit on 9-12-2010 by TSAisaSCAM because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2010 by TSAisaSCAM because: O it's good click!!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Students are worried they will get into debt, boo hoo, everybody gets into debt when they get older, thats life, stop bloody moaning, they want free higher education, look, nothing in this world is free, get over it, man up.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

hey it's basically free for the top 1%... Right?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

Who's protesting for free education? none of that lot are, they're protesting over the trippling of the fees, when the people they voted for promised to lower fees. They have the right to do this, yes it's ugly, yes it's violent. When peaceful protests fall on deaf ears, what are you supposed to do?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

There may be legitimate peaceful protestors there, who are afraid for their financial future because of a hike in tuition fees.

The violence however, is - in my opinion - nothing to do with that at all. That is being undertaken by people who want to actively engage the police, for the sake of it, in the same manner as the violence that occurs at the G20 summits.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Screw sky news, I don't care about your national politics... All I want is the protest... Stupid british station.
edit on 9-12-2010 by TSAisaSCAM because: In fact I believe it's looping... Propaganda...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TSAisaSCAM

That 1% should pay aswell, these layabouts just want to get something for free, if they want it bad enough they will have to pay for it, if they borrow £9000 for the rights to go to a top school it only costs £68 a month after they get a job earning £30,000 a year, £68 a month is nothing when you are earning £30,000 a year.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Free higher education is just another part of it according to one student who just said it on bbc news, I just saw him say it, its not just the triple increase its lots of other "excuses" aswell.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

but we all know the 1% stays within the 2%... Go students! hikes IMO are unnecessary. Screw the dictatorship that's trying to tighten its grip.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

you vote people out of office...just like we did with the this year....violence is not the answer

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Prince charles and camilers car is now being attacked, and its thought they are in it,,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join