It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd Line - What it is, and what it is not.... (One-Liners)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I keep seeing a lot of this, and I think it's only because folks don't really understand the rule about one-liners. So, thought I'd help clarify...

FIRST, Typing "2nd Line" in no way exempts you from getting a one-liner warning.

SECOND, In the Off-Topic forums (i.e. former BTS forums), a 2nd line is not needed.

THIRD, If you do make a one-line post, and it contributes to the thread in a meaningful way, then a mod will NOT one-line you.

I think it helps to understand the reason behind the one-liner, and then members will know it when they see it.

Here are a couple of examples.

An actionable one-liner (in a forum that isn't an Off-Topic one)...

Yeah, great idea! or I agree!
Second Line

In this case, the poster should have said WHY it was a great idea, or WHY they agree.
The "second line" does not remedy that.

A non-actionable one-liner....

Actually, that's a proven hoax, check here: www.website.com

In this case, it's only one line, but you've contributed to the thread by providing valuable information, etc.

Granted, these are just examples, but the real importance is that if a post adds data and value to a thread, even if one-line, it isn't violating the spirit of the rule. In addition, just because there is "technically" a second line with adding "Second Line", it still violates the spirit of the rule.

I hope this helps clarify the rule a bit. Thanks for reading.

edit on 9-12-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I agree.

I see more people circumventing the automatic censors than one liners though
edit on 9-12-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

THIRD, If you do make a one-line post, and it contributes to the thread in a meaningful way, then a mod will NOT one-line you.

This is untrue. I don't do the "second line" thing because it seems silly. i just make up another line of something to say.

But i used to put up one line posts when they made sense and still added to the conversation. It was warned by a mod. I asked the mod to explain, and was subsequently apologized to when the mod realized that the one liner DID add to the conversation.

I have also had posts removed as "off topic" when they were wholly on topic.

Regardless, you are correct. The whole "second line" thing is a meme that needs to die. It makes the user look like a teenager, going through silly motions to appease their overmasters at school.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the clarification.

Now i will type my second line. Oh wait...this is my second line.

Oh well here's my third.
That counts right?

Just kiddin'.

Either way it seems there's an influx of new members that just type for post count.
Maybe the mods should delete the entire 'one-line' posts.
So they don't count.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The second line is a bulls eye to me. What would normally just be an insertion of a Mod Note into the post, also gains the member a points deduction as well.
:

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
typeing " 2nd line " , as a 2nd line is a sign of feeblemindeness

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Thank you. I did this yesterday in a post, and was given a "bad girl". My apologies.
I know I don't contribute much, there are so many outstanding indiviuals here, I hesitate to add my 2 cents at times. Usually what I want to say is said by others and much better put.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Sometimes I do make comments that are short but I do try to keep them on topic. Hence the
2nd line issue. I prefer to 2nd line a thread post instead of making up more content just to add an additional line...
edit on 12/9/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I have also had posts removed as "off topic" when they were wholly on topic.

Regardless, you are correct. The whole "second line" thing is a meme that needs to die. It makes the user look like a teenager, going through silly motions to appease their overmasters at school.

That is quite 'funny,' actually, about the removal of fully On-topic posts as off-topic. It has happened to me too, but as no one is messing with me, I just re-wrote the whole thing again and explained that it was indeed on topic, and so the post stayed.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

But i used to put up one line posts when they made sense and still added to the conversation. It was warned by a mod. I asked the mod to explain, and was subsequently apologized to when the mod realized that the one liner DID add to the conversation.

You did the right thing, by questioning it. We're human too (well, most of us, I think a few mods may be reptoid, and at least one gray, but they still feel the same), so we too can make a mistake, but the policy is what I stated above.

As for the removal of off-topic posts, same thing...question it. Ask the mod. If it was in error, they can fix (or get a super or admin to help). You certainly should feel free to question any staff action. We'll definitely give you a reason.

(the reptoid and grey comment are of course tongue-in-cheek...shouldn't have to point that out, but if I don't....)

edit on 9-12-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Its what is it is, but its also what we make it....

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Brevity is the soul of wit. I don't see the point in writing an entire essay, when one can convey the same thing in one line.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is all very good information to know. Especially for a new poster, like me.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Whenever I see "2nd line" I get this twitch in my left eye, and the voices start speaking to me... Just saying...

Some people have the gift of brevity. They can sum up a thread in 7 words. Others don't and must ramble on for paragraphs to get to the same point. Don't add "2nd" line to your post to show us that you think you have the gift, when you don't have the gift...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Is there a petition somewhere where one can vote for 20 lol smileys in a row not accounting as a line of any count but is in fact a permabannable offense with extreme flailing?

That would rock!

edit on 9 Dec 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
one-liners are great, one sentence just isn't

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yeah-Alright
Brevity is the soul of wit. I don't see the point in writing an entire essay, when one can convey the same thing in one line.

Wit though is often about humor and not always intellect or substance. Often it's just used as a form of deflection or to gain attention at the expense of the topical content of the thread. Some members come to mind who actually almost exclusively do this in all their posts.

While I believe some comic relief plays well in very heated debates, wit as it's described in this saying is more or less simply an attempt to be cute, or trite, and typically not brevity for brevity's sake.

Everyone contributes at their own level, as it should be, but formulating a couple of lines to add to the substance of the thread is not really that daunting a task.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
First line

can we do it this way instead?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
A one line post and second line lie, cause Sauron and Gemwolf destroy your reply.

Just hit me and it made me smile internally.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Posts like this is what I hate about this site.. Why let something like this bother you.

Somebody above posted writeing '2nd line' shows febleminedness. Is that even a real word? How could you know something like that. Have you done tests on feblemindness?

ATS MOD SQUAD need to relax

<<   2 >>

join