It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Rarest Fly Rediscovered in Kenya Cave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

World's Rarest Fly Rediscovered in Kenya Cave

www.indyposted.com

There was excitement in the insect world today, as scientists stumbled upon the rarest fly in the world. The Mormotomyia Hirsuta, which is known as the “terrible hairy fly,” was found in a cave in Kenya by Dr. Robert Copeland and Dr. Ashley Kirk-Spriggs.

A statement about the discovery said:

“The re-discovery of the species, which has been collected on only two occasions before, in 1933 and 1948, has caused excitement in insect museums world-wide.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newsdaily.com

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I find it incredible that nature keep wow´ing us.. I love earth

A fly without wings, thats just silly.. guess thats why its very rare

"What do you call a fly without wings? A walk…"

Here is a picture of it...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9e6d0ea54f00.jpg[/atsimg]

The “terrible hairy fly” was found in a cave in Ukazi Hill east of Nairobi, the flies only known habitat. Copeland says that the reason the “terrible hairy fly” has never been found outside of the cave, is probably due to the fact that the “terrible hairy fly” has non-functioning wings.

Copeland said:

“Since Mormotomyia cannot fly, there is a strong possibility that it is really restricted to this tiny habitat. If that is the case, it would be wonderful if the entire Ukazi Hill, on which it is found, were declared a national heritage area and given suitable conservation protection.”

Here are some more info
www.indyposted.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-12-2010 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Nice find. Nature never ceases to amaze does she.
I wonder (and hope) that other species which went extinct through direct or indirect help from humans do somehow manage to re-appear and thrive.

Thanks for a refreshing bit of news

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
huh. looks like we're finding new species all the time. Too bad were endangering them as soon as we do. This reminds me of that story where a scientist found a new species of lizard in Vietnam, on the menu at a street vendor...

Self-cloning lizard

top topics

join