It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily Aspirin Linked to Steep Drop in Cancer Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
MONDAY, Dec. 6 -- Long-term use of a daily low-dose aspirin dramatically cuts the risk of dying from a wide array of cancers, a new investigation reveals.

Specifically, a British research team unearthed evidence that a low-dose aspirin (75 milligrams) taken daily for at least five years brings about a 10 percent to 60 percent drop in fatalities depending on the type of cancer.

The finding stems from a fresh analysis of eight studies involving more than 25,500 patients, which had originally been conducted to examine the protective potential of a low-dose aspirin regimen on cardiovascular disease.

The current observations follow prior research conducted by the same study team, which reported in October that a long-term regimen of low-dose aspirin appears to shave the risk of dying from colorectal cancer by a third.

news.yahoo.com...

The Lancet, a very respected medical journal, did this study. The article is available online free right now.

Interpretation
Daily aspirin reduced deaths due to several common cancers during and after the trials. Benefit increased with duration of treatment and was consistent across the different study populations. These findings have implications for guidelines on use of aspirin and for understanding of carcinogenesis and its susceptibility to drug intervention.

www.thelancet.com...

They didn't receive funding for the study, so obviously they aren't "biased"...
Also, who would really fund an aspirin study, the scope of this?
Aspirin is non-patented. Consumers can't be raped on the price of
it.

I really think that this is a great thing.

The Lancet is coming out and showing people that all that crap Big Pharma drug stuff that one has to get liver function panels every month to make sure that the drug isn't turning their liver into that of an end stage alcoholic's may not be the end all- be all.

Aspirin is one of the very oldest drugs on the shelf.

In low doses, it is safe. I really think that the hype given its potential to cause "bleeds" may be overstated
by Big Pharma to keep people away from a cheap, effective anti-inflammatory, analgesic medication that has a lot of other health benefits and is NON-prescription.

Am I saying to rush out and take tons of aspirin?
No.
Be aware, however, of all those drug ads and the fine print.
The fine print has a heck of a lot worse side effects than a very small chance of increased susceptability for bleeding.
And one must take a LOT of aspirin over a LONG time to have such a thing happen, or already have ulcers, be on Coumadin, Plavix or another clotting inhibitor.

A consistent minimum 10% reduction (up to 60%!!) in the chance of getting many different cancers, simply from taking baby aspirin a day?
With the effects lasting long afterwards, even if one stops after 5 years or so?

Pretty good advertising, for a pill that costs a few pennies.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Man! This is welcome information. I've dealt with chronic pain for about 20 years from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. Long story short, when weighing "pain management" options, I wound up deciding that aspirin was the best choice and have taken 2 to 4 a day, nearly every day, since.

Over those years loved ones have reminded me, quite often, about the digestive problems that might develop from taking an NSAID on a daily basis... Now I have something to source as a defense!

S&F for medical relevance and for personal relief!

~Heff
edit on 12/8/10 by Hefficide because: grammatical travesty

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

I remember a friend of mine who is prone to nosebleeds according to the weather, and who also has a bad lower-back problem even though he is 19. Anyway, he took Aspirin one morning to help with the pain as he was out of pain killers. It turned out that later that day the temperature rose and it got really hot, so he got a nose bleed. The nosebleed continued and continued, it just kept gushing out, he went through tissue after tissue and it would not stop. He had blood all over his shirt and such, it was real bad. He had to go to the doctor so that he could get some form of liquid or dissolvable material inserted inside his nose to stop the bleeding.

My point is, would you take aspirin every day to help prevent cancer?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I am an aspirin taker too, and I am so happy to see this article, as I also get flak.

I always tell people that Advil & Motrin are worse than aspirin, and the prescription stuff
kills my stomach. Aspirin has never killed my stomach, caused heartburn, or any of the
dread symptoms I have been "warned" of for so long.

Yes, I had brain surgery a few years ago so I am also familiar with pain and the trials and errors of pain management.
It's a crappy world, isn't it?

Glad I could help you out_
edit on 8-12-2010 by thegoodearth because: spelling

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Your friend had a pre-existing condition that would lend him to be in the "do not take" crowd, wouldn't you say?

If I had a bleeding condition as such, then I would be cautious. Some people can take it, some can't.
Your friend can't.
Did he ask his doctor before he took it?
Did he read the label, where it states clearly not to take if one suffers from any condition where bleeding is a factor?
Did you read what I posted, as I said "unless one already has a condition"
Sorry, didn't think of nosebleeds...

God Bless.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Remember this is about ACETYLSALICYLIC ACID not Ibuprofen,etc.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Yes...
I am sorry, did I posted something erroneous?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

No I didn't read that part actually. I'm somewhat spaced out from my recent cardio venture. But yes, even though he has that issue, he still gets prescriptions for similar pain killers.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

They are probably tylenol based (acetominophen), which wreaks havoc on the liver,
but not the platelets, so they are "safer".

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
My father is on Cartia daily and I believe this truly works.

He should easily be dead by now but it still living strong.

top topics

join