It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1949 Air Crash in Scotland B-29 Superfortress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I first heard about this a couple of years ago on a podcast from the BBC which was covering the general cleanup of the monument site (Scotland outdoors podcast). It was mentioned in the podcast that there was an old rumour that some of the dead were wearing nazi uniforms, but I cant find this mentioned anywhere else. They also mentioned the later discovery of the 21st body and it's burial at the crash site. I think I remember reading also somewhere that German weapons, i.e. Luger pistols were found at the crash site at Succoth Glen.

I surmise a lot of these tales might be due to exaggeration and embelishment over the years, and that the crew may well have had lots of souvenirs on board.

Only recently did I see the article that speculates about missing diamonds etc. and it makes me wonder if foul play was involved and that maybe there was more to this incident than just the wings icing up.

www.secretscotland.org.uk...

www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
When i first read your thread, i thought about a secret Luftwaffe unit called KG200.
They were a special mission unit that mainly used captured aircraft to fly agents around during the war.
During the war KG200 flew captured allied aircraft, such as the B-17, B-24 and the DC-3/C-47.
But they didn't appear to fly the B-29.
Also the crew were definately American.
I think this one will remain a mystery.

edit on 7-12-2010 by HEREFORD 1969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The crew wearing German uniforms wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me. How would they explain that when they jumped off the aircraft? The black market trade is a possibility, which would explain the firearms and souvenirs.

That KG200 unit is interesting but ultimately irrelevant to this thread because this occurred nearly 5 years after the end of the war. It's safe to assume the crew were Americans- it's the most logical thing.

Good thread OP!

join