It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain's Architecture Makes Our View of the World Unique

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Why we all see things differently

We are all familiar with the idea that our thoughts and emotions differ from one person to another, but most people assume that how we perceive the visual world is usually very similar from person to person. However, the primary visual cortex -- the area at the back of the brain responsible for processing what we see in the world around us -- is known to differ in size by up to three times from one individual to the next.

Our work is the first to show that the size of part of a person's brain can predict how they perceive their visual environment," explains Dr Schwarzkopf.

sciencedaily.com

I find this vary interesting that, what we directly see is how we all come to understand what we know. The thought that we all see the same way would not show why we all see things differently.

But now coming to the understanding that the size of our visual perception shapes our world as we see it, I can now see how other people come to different conclusion on differing perspective, it's because they do not see the hole picture but just part of it. So it's not the fault of the person seeing a different picture but the lack of information in that picture that gives them the different perspective, that gives them a completely different take on the same information.

If we are all different to the extremes of our visual differences, that might explain the wide ranges of our augments, that is do to the lack of information that we see and proses in our brains.

If this is in the wrong then move it.

JS

edit on 7-12-2010 by jsettica because: spelling

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsettica
I can now see how other people come to different conclusion on differing perspective, it's because they do not see the hole picture but just part of it.

Great article. I only pull out the above to warn against presuming that you see the whole picture. I have learned through the years to rarely act certain of anything, even when I am certain, because I almost always ended up eating crow. Sometimes it was more like crow roadkill.

Consider that the visual aspects are only part of this. Certainly, visual input is among the "noisiest" signals we have with which to build our perception. We also have some of the other "noisy" ones, such as smell, taste, touch, and hearing. Each of these has varying degrees of proficiency. Then there are more sublime senses, such as the senses derived from the VNO, or magnetics, or other "psi" type senses (again, each with varying degrees of proficiency). These sublime senses are often completely overwhelmed by the more mundane 5 senses.

My youngest son and I both have an inordinate amount of taste buds. My wife has a lot, but he and I double hers. It would explain why as toddlers and young children we would tend to taste things that were new or unusual. Our sense of taste is heightened and that provides additional information to us about what it is we are dealing with (and it also makes a huge mess in the kitchen, and larger waistline).

We cannot tell where the "mind" is. But we know the brain has something to do with it. My guess is that the brain is a modem, accessing the mind remotely...but that is another topic. All we can tell for sure is what we can study: the brain. And with these studies it appears that we construct reality based on how our perceptions comix with psychotropic chemicals in the brain. Yes, your perception of reality is just a hallucination.

But it would stand completely to reason that your sensory inputs would then have a profound impact on how you perceive the world around you. The other wildcards being processing capability ("intelligence") and just exactly how many and in what combinations those hallucinogenic chemicals that we call "neurotransmitters" are in within your body.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

I have often wondered if what I think is the color red or blue or whatever is the same as other people see it. Or taste do pork chops taste the same to you as they do to me? Very interesting.

Now a little off topic,

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

We cannot tell where the "mind" is. But we know the brain has something to do with it. My guess is that the brain is a modem, accessing the mind remotely...but that is another topic. .

I am intrigued, maybe you start a thread?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Ya it's all true we live in a world made up of so much information that some times we don't know what part of our body we need to use to figure out what is going on.

What the eyes don't see we hope our ears pick up, what smells we miss we hope our ability to pick up vibrations fill in the blanks. What we can't touch our brains fill in with past experiences. As people we have a lot to proses and I all ways wonder what I might have left out and what is missing from this picture.

JS

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCar

I wonder if I see is what you see, and if what I taste is what you taste, that is an easy answer, no one does we are all see it in a different way, that's what make ATS what it is. For if we could all see the exact same thing them what type of debates would there be on this forum, not vary interesting.

Good thing we do.

JS

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
It is this basic truth to organic, self-assembling networks (like the brain) that gets me so up-in-arms when people suggest that "one day, I can download all the knowledge of the world into my brain!" Not going to happen, because your brain handles pretty much everything on an individual basis.

On another note - I remember talk of a study where the visual cortex of London cab drivers was observed to be far larger than, say, a factory line worker.

It's pretty interesting how our brain works - and just as interesting how it doesn't work (in the way we expect it to).

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Until we are drugged enough by the stuff they are putting in our food and water. Then it won't be so unique.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Ya it's all true we live in a world made up of so much information that some times we don't know what part of our body we need to use to figure out what is going on.

even more, you have sensory organs whos output into your brain is so sublime that 99.99% of people are not even aware that they are there, or what they do.

Ingo Swann, on his website, goes into a lot of detail around this idea.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

If we are all different to the extremes of our visual differences, that might explain the wide ranges of our augments, that is do to the lack of information that we see and proses in our brains.

S&F!!

This partly explaines why some people believe in the OS of 911. It's clear they do not see the bigger picture and only view what was put in front of them, without understanding how all the anomalies relate.

Korg.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
While we may perceive things differently from others (and this is quite interesting in itself), let's keep in mind that the main thing vision does is adapt us to our environment.

Stick a chair the middle of the hallway and everybody is going to walk around the chair. Regardless of how they internally experience the situation.

Yeah, subjectivism is great, and it's cool to speculate on whether you and I experience the same thing when we look at something, but let's not forget that our senses still adapt us to an objective reality.

edit on 8-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is amazing. I think this is why some people are born visually artisic then other people. Makes sense to me.

new topics

top topics

join