It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not such wicked leaks [Umberto Eco]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Not such wicked leaks [Umberto Eco]

www.presseurop.eu

Secondly, the very notion that any old hacker can delve into the most secret secrets of the most powerful country in the world has dealt a hefty blow to the State Department’s prestige. So the scandal actually hurts the “perpetrators” more than the “victims”.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
My favorite paragraph of this article has got to be the following... and as a hacker myself, this is why I have never ever feared NWO... I have power that most don't, yet is freely available to all, with the proper mindset...

We are the elite...

But let’s turn to the more profound significance of what has occurred. Formerly, back in the days of Orwell, every power could be conceived of as a Big Brother watching over its subjects’ every move. The Orwellian prophecy came completely true once the powers that be could monitor every phone call made by the citizen, every hotel he stayed in, every toll road he took and so on and so forth. The citizen became the total victim of the watchful eye of the state. But when it transpires, as it has now, that even the crypts of state secrets are not beyond the hacker’s grasp, the surveillance ceases to work only one-way and becomes circular. The state has its eye on every citizen, but every citizen, or at least every hacker – the citizens’ self-appointed avenger – can pry into the state’s every secret.

www.presseurop.eu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Great post, star and flag. Eco is absolutely right.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Eco has a point.

But he misses the fact, that there are perhaps 80% or more people who had never heard about wikileaks and it's "leaks".

Anyway, good article to be read. So the real shadow operators still have to resort on symbolic expression of secrets, meaning steganography and such. Or perhaps sending encrypted letters or something alike.

-v

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I like this section of Eco's article :
"But when it transpires, as it has now, that even the crypts of state secrets are not beyond the hacker’s grasp, the surveillance ceases to work only one-way and becomes circular. The state has its eye on every citizen, but every citizen, or at least every hacker – the citizens’ self-appointed avenger – can pry into the state’s every secret."

Another case of 'who watches the watchers', isn't it?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Exactly... this is it precisely.

top topics

join