It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you burn the Bible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
double post... had to hit refresh resulting in a double post.
edit on 6-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
No more then I would burn the koran.... You don't burn a mans "word" his bible.....

I don't care how much you hate christians, muslims, any religion you don't burn their bibles.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
sensen, you nicompoop. you sound like spiteful type who'd love to pass rules on what should and shouldnt be burnt.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I wouldn't go out of my way to go to the bookburning (with my health I can't get out much), but if people went and did it I wouldn't have a problem with them doing so. I'd probably defend them with letters to the newspaper editor or something.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlyFox_79

The Bible has caused the death of millions upon millions of people in the most sadistic ways for centuries. It kept the world in a dark veil of ignorance that still continues today. It burned down the Alexandrian library because of it's cowardice and from that point our world became lost. It's crimes are unforgivable, unacceptable, and unforgettable.

The Bible did all this? Really?

How about instead we say folks who, for whatever reason, used it's words to justify their own actions? A book, no matter which one, can not act.

It may be used as an excuse, tis true. So too are many other works of literature. I'm sure several titles will occur with a bit of thought.

People do all these things. Books, or writings, are used as an excuse. No book has ever burned down a library. Or slaughtered millions in gas chambers. Caused famine relief supplies to be stolen, or many another dark deed done for fun and profit. That's strictly Man's doing.

If the bible hadn't been there, many of the same incident would have occurred. Just the excuses would have changed. Blaming a book? Really? Why don't we instead, place the blame where it truly belongs, on the hearts and minds of humanity.

To answer your question? No. Books are, of course, for reading...not turning into kindling.
edit on 12/6/2010 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The Bible has caused the death of millions upon millions of people in the most sadistic ways for centuries. It kept the world in a dark veil of ignorance that still continues today. It burned down the Alexandrian library because of it's cowardice and from that point our world became lost. It's crimes are unforgivable, unacceptable, and unforgettable.

The Bible has NOT bee the cause of millions of deaths. No where in the Bible will you find any evidence of it condoning the conduct of Christendom who claims to represent the Bible. Quite to the contrary, if you actually read the Bible, you will see that it advocates peace. Jesus said:

(Matthew 5:44) . . .Continue to love YOUR enemies and to pray for those persecuting YOU. . .

He also told his followers that they would be "no part of the world" and thus they are not involved in the political governments of this world:

(John 15:19) . . .Now because YOU are no part of the world, but I have chosen YOU out of the world, on this account the world hates YOU.

The Bible teaches us not to avenge ourselves, and not to return evil for evil, but to return good for evil, to love our neighbor, and to do good to those who persecute us.

That is what the Bible teaches. There are those who claim the authority of the Bible to commit tremendous acts of horrendous atrocities against mankind, including in these the Crusades, the Hundred Years War, and many others. But if you actually read the Bible you will see that nowhere is the conduct of these charlatans condoned.

In fact the very Bible itself calls those who claim to represent its God and yet to horrible things "workers of lawlessness" and tells us very plainly that they are responsible for the blood of everyone ever spilled:

(Revelation 18:24) . . .Yes, in her [false religion - including its most reprehensible part Christendom] was found the blood of prophets and of holy ones and of all those who have been slaughtered on the earth.”

If the teachings of the Bible were actually applied war would cease to exist, as well as hatred, enmities, strife, and crime. The world would become a haven of peace and security. If you doubt that this is true ask yourself what would happen if everyone on earth applied what the Bible teaches the way Jehovah's Witnesses do. They refuse to go to war because they believe it is wrong to kill their brother. If everyone on earth were Jehovah's Witnesses, war would cease to be a problem. I just wanted to clear that up.

Now to answer you question. NO. I would never burn a Bible. Many people have given their lives so that the Bible could be in our hands today. Their was a time when the Catholic Church burned people at the stake for just having a page of the Bible in their hands. Where when reading the Bible meant you were to die. There was a time when all-out war was waged against it to eradicate it from the earth by the Church and its evil minions and many people loved it more than their life. I hold it with such esteem. As my brothers went to the concentration camps under the Nazi and preferred to die than renounce the God of the Bible, or rid themselves of the Bible, I too, most unreservedly would die before I gave up the Bible.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ewokdisco
sensen, you nicompoop. you sound like spiteful type who'd love to pass rules on what should and shouldnt be burnt.

sorry, but I must laugh here. I'm not going to tell you what you can or can't burn, AND MAY IT BURN BURN BURN
I'm just saying that there are some books that may as well be burned
I could start listing titles, but I no longer have the books, and I very much doubt that many people would recognize the titles regardless. (not to limit the list) I just personally think there are some texts that contain the wisdom of certain cultures be it the bible, the popol vuh, or the handbook of chemistry and physics (depending on how new your version is) should at least have copies remain behind (or sit there on your reference shelf with others.)
edit on 6-12-2010 by sensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

You're most welcome. Here's to hoping you'll enjoy more of Emerson's essays; twenty years later I still look forward to rereading them periodically.

Jesus says,
Leave father, mother, house and lands, and follow me. Who leaves
all, receives more. This is as true intellectually as morally. Each
new mind we approach seems to require an abdication of all our past
and present possessions. A new doctrine seems, at first, a
subversion of all our opinions, tastes, and manner of living. Such
has Swedenborg, such has Kant, such has Coleridge, such has Hegel or
his interpreter Cousin, seemed to many young men in this country.
Take thankfully and heartily all they can give. Exhaust them,
wrestle with them, let them not go until their blessing be won, and,
after a short season, the dismay will be overpast, the excess of
influence withdrawn, and they will be no longer an alarming meteor,
but one more bright star shining serenely in your heaven, and
blending its light with all your day.

www.emersoncentral.com...
edit on 6-12-2010 by Northwarden because: removed some formatting

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
now, to start a thread like that....it's really obtuse for one thing...what's another....oh...we're bored
ok, then

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyFox_79

No, nor would I burn any of the other "Holy Books".

While personally I believe that all religions were made up to control and manipulate man, doing something as disrepectful as burning something someone else cherishs would make other people angry and upset.

We are on the verge of nuclear annihilation, why push people's buttons any further. People are upset enough.

We need to put aside and respect our differences and concentrate on more serious stuff like surviving as a species and saving our planet.

Religion is another way TPTB distract and divide us.

Also, I suggest you watch the movie Fahrenheit 451.

edit on 6-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: Added last line.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Sorry, I had a few drinks this evening;
I would burn the American Flag before Gods Word.
I will stand on his word till the end of time!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I would not burn the Bible. Nor would I burn the Koran or the Talmud or any other literature that is considered to be the "word" of a god. Burning sacred texts is disrespectful.

These texts are not personally sacred or important to me. I prefer to use them as reference only.

take care all
res

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyFox_79

Atheism is not going to replace religious freedom in the US as much as some who are big fat bigots would like to. Atheists can burn all the Bibles they want and make idiots out of themselves. Christians don't worship things.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I already had burned several Bibles in my life time and I don't regret any bit of burning the books that are lies. They have no Jewish origin. Just the thievery of Jewishness.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Reading threads about atheism got me thinking.

If there was a huge book burning of the bible tomorrow because atheism replaced Christianity, Catholocism, jusiaism, etc., would you burn the Bible?

Besides the fact that I rolled "J's" with Bible paper a couple times in my past, I would not burn the bible. I'm no religious person or an atheist. I believe in the power of knowledge, Learning is my God, where I find my divinity. Second to that is History. I would not burn any book for to do so is the greatest of evils and in doing so causes the greatest of ignorance.

But I still wouldn't burn it. It's impact was and is far to great to get rid of.

So just how many of you would burn the bible?
Or
How many of you would burn "On The Origin of Species?"
edit on 6-12-2010 by SlyFox_79 because: Added last question

Honestly, I'd burn just about any book in order to stay warm if hell freezes over

Too many copies anyway. Listen, i wouldn't just burn a book to prove a point, however,
just making it a DEAL is silly. A book is just a book when there are millions of copies just like it.

It's just material. GOD is within all of us, not an external materialistic source. the bible, created by MAN. The news paper, created by man. End of story on my part.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Words are jest words.
Books are jest books.
When The hand of God touches you,
you can forget your books.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 19rn50

Well I believe in the Jewish God who I believe is true above all else. That is what I believe and God is all around us as I speak!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
No more then I would burn the koran.... You don't burn a mans "word" his bible.....

I don't care how much you hate christians, muslims, any religion you don't burn their bibles.

I don't hate christians or muslims...it's not like I know all of them. But I will burn their holy books if they come into my possession as property. I'll gladly burn all holy books...it's a lot better than burning people like certain religions advocated or perhaps still do.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
No, I won't.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join