It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a guy puts his own life on the line and saves another man's life (FOOTAGE)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The world has become soft.
edit on 5-12-2010 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The Hero didn't rush, kinda just walked over and picked him up, like it happens all the time.

Yeah other people really didnt help at all.... some were probably too old.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Symer

Exactly right, there is no way to know if you'll cross the bridge untill you get to it. People do get stuck sometimes, not knowing what to do, some people react right away, some brave people might freeze whilst some who didn't have courage of any sort might react, it may depend on the mood one wakes up with that day so to speak, or it may just be a reflex thing.

Many tracks do have third rail high voltage, I didn't get a good look, but it may be like in Chicago's Metra electric line, where they have a spring loaded contact above the train that touches power cables that run the length of the track, top wires are either negative (or positive) and the bottom tracks are positive (or negative)
If it's a matter of third rail, I am assuming (I am not an electrician) that the power might be strong enough to arc, I don't think it usually does unless it's wet breaking the resistance, and with shoes and clothing it may take more to break the resistance.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
He gives the police a good name. What country is this in by the way?

Well, my knowledge of Spanish is near zero, but knowing the context of the video and its title -- "El héroe del Metro de Madrid" -- I figure that it means "The Hero of the Madrid Metro".

Last time I checked, Madrid is in Spain...

Now, regarding the video's subject matter, I agree with those who say that it's kind of a sad comment on modern society. Frankly, if somone else had reacted a bit sooner there would have been pretty near zero danger in getting down on the tracks and pulling the man to safety. It's not like the guy was being mauled by a wild animal, so the relative dangers were not that hard to assess. The guy who rescued him clearly had worked out that there was still time to do so. Granted, it was close, but there were likely others there who could have done the same thing a few seconds earlier and with far less personal risk.

But yes -- it seems that most will just stand around and watch, the concept of actually helping never entering their heads. This also demonstrates a profound lack of empathy. It seems that few of those watching though: "If that were me down there on the tracks, I hope people wouldn't just stand and watch and wait for me to die. I hope someone would help me..."

Nope. I know from personal experience that very few people seem to think that way these days. Lack of empathy, lack of real compassion. All they do is watch, like the whole thing was just a movie.

Mike

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Noobastronomer

I am so glad we still have heroes.

I was beginning to think all our heroes had gone.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic Lumen

Good point about the third rail. That type of electrified railway system is far more dangerous due to the possibilty of electrocution as you stated. However, after checking several pictures of the Madrid Metro system, I can say it's the same as we have in Prague and the example of Chicago that you mentioned. The live cable is overhead and the tracks act as the other contact for the current to flow.

We have people down on the tracks here on quite regularly. Seems about 50/50 suicide attempts or accidental falls, but they don't get electrocuted just by touching the tracks. Providing the train's wheels doesn't hit them they often survive. Actual rescue attempts seem to be few and few between, though.

Mike

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kemal
reply to post by Noobastronomer

It's not just a "guy", it's a cop.

These kind of things happen everywhere, but there only a few who risk their lives. Mainly because people are just shocked and can't react because of that... it's like they are paralysed.

Braveness you need!

It's like the bystander effect thing people often talk about, everyone's stood there saying "Somebody help" instead of "I'll help".

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Bravo to the guy who jumped in unlike the others who were just standing there.. sheesh.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The guy that fell onto the track looked like he did it on purpose by the way he was stepping back.

Good on the cop for jumping to his rescue.

You can't blame people for not jumping on the track too. The spped at which some of the trains go through without stopping, well you wouldn't stand a chance.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
What an idiot the guy who fell on the track, im glad he is fine though, and what a guy the one who saved him!
A hero.
Let me all tell you what the people were doing by waving their arms.
They were waving at the cameras so the controllers could warn the driver and tell him to slow down.
Thats why they were waving their arms, but yes out of everyone there only one guy helped him, which it dont matter if hes a cop or not, more shouldve helped.
All in all, great news.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by doogle

Oh, yeah, that's right as well. There really is a lack of civil courage nowadays.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Luckly for them both they wern't in the UK, otherwise they'd likely both have been fried.

Live 3rd rail is a percularity of the UK rail network, both on over and underground trains. No positive over head wire and negative contact rail just several thousand amps running through an single rail which is often between the two travel rails on underground trains and next to one of the travel rails on overground trains.

Hats off to the guy for stepping up to the mark though and fascinating to see everyone elses reactions.

MR

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I failed to mention, here in Chicago we also have the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority), their trains do use the third rail method. I see CTA workers on the tracks all the time, and I have heard of people falling onto the tracks also, but they survive, and suicide attempts and (dunno if it's the right wording) successes(?) but the ones that achieved the suicide achieved it from being run over as well.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by Kemal

About time a cop gets some praise on this site...way too much bashing going on but this deed will be forgotten in another few days and back to bashing the police..

No it won't. Most cops are really the "Good guys". It's only the bad few that get all the press.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join