It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Souls: What/who are they exactly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This question has been racking my brain for the past few years and I've been collecting enough thoughts on the subject to put into a thread since last month. I've searched the site and know there are previous threads on the subject but none of them are very recent.

Since I can remember I've been told I'm an "old soul" or I'm the oldest 22 (current age) year-old they've ever met and have been told by people (friends, coworkers, family) whose opinion I very much respect but I have no idea what they mean when they tell me these things. From what I could find online the term has ranged between an individual who's experienced past lives to someone who's "enlightened". While I don't dismiss the possibility of enlightenment, I know I'm in no way anything of that sort. Life as I see it is too short to be worried about living an enlightened state of being. It is what it is.

The past lives aspect of the term is an interesting notion. When I was in my late teens my grandparents told me that from the age of 2 till I started preschool, I would talk to my great-grandfather and grandfather about how I was a captain in the Army cavalry in St. Louis Missouri and joined because my son was killed by the Indians in the west. Most of my "tales" had to do with life as a soldier and I mostly complained about the other soldiers and the food and going after the Indians that killed my son. I asked my parents about this and they told me that for the first few years of my life I did in fact talk to my grandparents about this because they were being asked by my grandparents if I was watching anything on TV that would put these thoughts in my head. What was even weirder is that this story came out of nowhere right after I first learned to speak. I wish I could find out how this came about and what happened to it.

The only other "weird" occurrence came about the same time I began to talk when my parents told me one night I asked what had happened to my brother. It wasn't until I was older that my parents told me that I had a twin brother who died in the womb. I don't know if that has anything though with being an "old soul". I've also almost died when I was born because my umbilical cord was wrapped around my throat and I had a severe mastoid infection when I was about 6 months old which I almost died from.

Hopefully the information I've provided can help with some insight as to why people would call me an "old soul" or what is an "old soul".

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Having been referred to as an old soul myself, and also being 23, I can relate to you I think. I've had the same things said about me from as far back as I can remember, actually - I never took it as a good thing though
Maybe it was just the looks on people's faces when they'd say it, like there was something wrong with me.

Any time I have ever inquired about it, people always say the same that you've mentioned. It basically means that as a soul you have been through more lives and have experienced more than most.

I also find it interesting, one of your stories you shared, because I almost bled out at birth, having ripped my umbilical cord, and subsequently almost ended up killing my mother as well! I've been told that the way you are brought into the world can also deeply have an impact on you later in life, although obviously you don't remember the traumatizing situation. So I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well? Just some thoughts, anyways.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinquain

Maybe one can have life changing experiences even if it's something as soon as a near death experience at birth. It would be interesting as to how my outlook on life would be if I had a normal birth.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
On deep inner levels, Old Souls perceive the interrelatedness existing among all people. Intuitively they sense they are part of an integral whole.

Grasping this big picture, Old Souls then do their best to live by it and to not harm or judge others. There is a strong urge to be impeccable and to maintain personal integrity in all transactions. They detach from the emotional intensities of the Mature Soul period and get more objective about the ups and downs of life.

Having dozens of lifetimes in varieties of cultures and classes thoroughly blended into their essences, it is much more difficult for Old Souls to get embroiled in the right-and-wrong, us-and-them games people and countries both play. Seeing the whole picture in this way makes Old Souls calmer, more peaceful and centered. It can also make them appear passive or weak to the other soul ages.

While Old Souls do not tend to grow into their full soul perceptivity until about age thirty-five or so, they will, even before then, be accused of stepping to the beat of a different drummer. They are unusual--two steps away from the norm--in this Young Soul culture. Because they are inclined to individualistically follow their inner perceptions and desires, they may be seen as eccentric, though usually harmlessly so.

While there is great motivation for spiritual growth, motivation tends to be lacking when it comes to developing political or material punch. Seldom doing anything they don't want to and preferring their own unconventional pursuits, they often seek the path of least resistance as far as work, so that all energy can be poured into spiritual development. Because of the essence's richness gathered over many lifetimes, Old Souls tend to be extremely competent in a wide range of things--which often aren't pursued. They will try to find work that supports their personal growth: counseling, teaching, bodywork, gardening and carpentry being some favorites.

Many are magnetized by philosophy and art. If higher education proves necessary in order to teach, less orthodox schools allowing more opportunities for inner exploration will be favored.

A fancy house or car, or impressive clothes and jewelry aren't often too high on an Old Soul's real priority list. Neither is a nine-to-five job. Plain laziness on the physical plane sometimes creates difficulty paying the bills, but the material game just isn't what it used to be. However, Old Souls do have one advantage with the material world: as they begin to seek, understand and use the laws of the physical universe, goals can be attained with less effort. Thus, there is an outer, as well as an inner draw to understand the universal laws distilled in astrology, metaphysics, tarot and other ancient teachings.

Old Souls may explore many religions and teachings, being most drawn to those emphasizing love and to those they've resonated with closely in past lives.

But being rule-bound or as orthodox as some disciplines require does not usually last long. Unique, personal spiritual practices, like an oceanside ritual to mark a birthday, are often developed and used.

Old Souls are very capable of agape or unconditional love, and many consciously work on not ever judging other people. For this very reason, some Old Souls appear to be annoyingly remote. This is usually an essence who has previously handled many emotional issues and comes to the planet intent on examining intellectual, philosophical and spiritual issues, period.

Source...

Hope This Helps

top topics

join