It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Talk Old School!! {Video Games}

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Some more old school games that came to my mind, from back in the day.

Vectorman, when this game came out I remember playing it for days straight till I beat it. In its day it had new and cool graphics mostly because it was during the time when companies were trying some different things instead of the whole sprite side scroller graphics that action games were doing for pretty much since videogames were invented.

It was still the same old type of game ie side scroller but the graphic engine it was using was way cool back then.

I know the op put up the original X-Men, and she is right that game was pretty hard it was not something you could breeze your way through. But the sequel X-Men 2 the clone wars was equally as hard and fun. It was one game were I spent lots of time playing it and dyeing.

I played that game to death, in fact so much so that I still remember this level in the vid like the back of my hand and I also use to play it mostly with the nightcrawler character mostly, or magneto and wolverine.

Another game, which was one of the best games ever made, Is Valkyrie Profile, Lenneth for the ps1 and a remastered version that came out on the psp. The game has one of the most interesting game mechanics and gameplay, and the story line is one of the best I ever played in any game out there period. They even did a remastered version for the psp, with all new updated opening cg cut-scenes sequences and soundtrack. It still is one of the few games that I want to replay one of these days. Because it is just that good.

It also had a sequel on the ps2 Valkerie Profile Silmeria, this game to even though it did not sell all that well and people did not seem to like it. It is still a really good game and it ties in with the first game, its in all a pretty worthy sequel to the first game. In fact I got to look to see if they have both games on the PSvita download network because I would replay both games again just for the nostalgia kicks.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
That Valkyrie game looks insane, I almost want to pick it up right now! The only issue is the extensive grinding time they mentioned. Ugh, I hate grinding just to get from start to finish. (end game I dont mind) I just want to see the plot!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

The game is called "Zero Wing"

The video is legend.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GambitVII

Dude if you never played Valkyrie Profile 1 or 2 then you missed out, it is one of the best games ever made. There is some grinding, but the guy in the vid probably sucks at it because I did not grind that much when I played it. The only place were lots of grinding is required is in the Seraphic Gate an optional dungeon in both games. And in the first game you can only get there after you beat the game and saved at the last zone before end game, the Seraphic Gate is freaking hard, so if you want to tackle it make sure you have a day to yourself because I think in the first game "Lenneth" you can not even save in the place. So if you die you start all over, and it has some pretty tricky puzzles in it as well, be prepared to try it over and over to finally know were everything is and the bosses in it will most likely kill you anyways on your first 10 or so tries.

The place is basically were you fight all the hardest bosses in the game, and in both games the Ethereal Queen is the last boss you have to face in those games, second is Gabriel Celeste, which if you played any tri ace games then you know what I am talking about and who they are. The game as far as story line gameplay is not easy but its nowhere near that hard as the dude in the vid made it out to be, if you do things right you will not need to be grinding much, or at all. Even the last bosses Loki or Lezard Valeth is really nowhere near as hard as the ones you have to face in the Seraphic Gate.

But as far as story line goes it is a really interesting one with a bunch of characters that really stick out, even the random "Einherjar" ie souls of the dead that you recruit for Ragnarok each have there own little back story's. If you ever see copies of the games at your local game stores then you should definitely pick up a copy. And the plot has many twists and turns, but if you never played the game I would not want to spoil it for you.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Fair enough. Ive been looking for some quality games to give a shot and it seems the grinding time is worth it, gonna look at aamzon now to see whats up

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well, being born in the late 80s, i luckily grew up playing the NES and the SNES. Countless hours of playing super mario bros games for the nes and legend of zelda 1 and 2 on the nes and a link to the past. A link to the past was one of my personal favorites.

Well, onto other games. Anyone played Lemmeings? This puzzle game always stumped me, even to this day the one released for the psp still gets me. One of my neighbors brought over that game and played it with my older brother, when they went out i took a stab at it. XD

Here is a game that i just couldnt beat, i remember getting up to a pretty high of a level by writing down pass codes. Up around or after level 50 (I think) theres these Jason characters that appear all around the game, which used to scare the crap out of me.

Another one of those near impossible games to beat.

A sega genesis game that me and my cousin used to play all the time.

Another Genesis game that i really got into, other than those Sonic games, (Turning into Super Sonic was bad*ss!!!!) was Flashback.

I have the game genie for both the snes and the sega genesis, also for the nes. Some of the games were fun to use codes on, like the near impossible games to beat. Other times it was also fun to take on a challenge.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I remember renting Mortal Kombat for my sega genesis when it first came out. I would dream about playing it while I was in school. When I had to return it, I almost cried. lol

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
My fondest memories...

The Legend of Zelda
Kid Icarus
Metroid
Super Mario 3 - When the Wizard revealed this I nearly had a heart attack from excitement.
Playing 4 player Offroad

Haunts my dreams...
Trying to land the jet in Top Gun, Aghhhhhhhhhj

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
How can u guyz forget Roadrash, Mario, Contra (just 1 guy
), Mortal Kombat, prince 1 & 2 (just 1
), fifa 97 road to world cup, etc?

1 of my favourite was Lost Islands (PC) damn hard but complt fun.

Only these games i liked rest u know lolzz

M an hardcore gamer, but posts like this will make me change my minds lol

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
When I was little, first we had an Atari 2600, the games I remember the most for that system.

Asteroids
Missile Command
Fast Food
Combat

Then came NES

1943. God this was such a good game!
Iron tank
Super Mario Bros 1 2 and 3
The Legend of Zelda
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 and 2
Star Tropics
Metroid
Final Fight
Contra

SNES

Super Mario World
Revolution X
Battle Toads
Mortal Kombat 1,2,and 3
Yoshi's Island
Street Fighter

N64

Top Gear Rally 2
Star Wars Rogue Squadron. Still one of my favorites
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
San Francisco Rush

and that was the end of my Nintendo era because then I got Playstation 2

All of the GTA games on PS2
Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude. Such a crazy, rediculous game
Enthusia, a simulation style racing game that I spent hours mastering
NCAA Football 2006

edit on 13-9-2012 by dave_welch because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join