It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions to Any Coin Collectors Out There

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
First question: Any coin collectors on here?

Second: Who owns rare coins, mostly Im interested in American Currency

Third: When the hell did they start circulating The national park quarters, and US territory quarters? I cant find them in regular pocket change.

Fourth question: How can I tell between the 1982 pennies whether they are Zinc or Copper without having to weigh them? I usually just balance it on my finger and hit it with another coin, and if it makes a high pitch "tink" sound I know its copper. Is that a good test? Or do any of you know other ways?

I love collecting coins. I Have all penny, dime, quarter and nickel folders to put every year in each slot. Of course, some are hard to find, like silver nickels. I also have Franklin half dollars and silver kennedy half dollars.

I would love to own a 1943 copper penny, a 1983 copper penny, and the 1982 dime that has no mint mark on it. I can only dream and wish haaha.

Just a curious ATSer wondering if anyone out there enjoys this as much as I do.

edit on 2-12-2010 by capgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Been looking through some videos of my grandfather coins and maybe this video will help you www.myv-links.com... let me know.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I don't collect but I do have one coin that I got graded. It is a George Washington dollar coin with missing edge lettering. I think it is cool because it is missing the god reference.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by capgirl
First question: Any coin collectors on here?

Second: Who owns rare coins, mostly Im interested in American Currency

Third: When the hell did they start circulating The national park quarters, and US territory quarters? I cant find them in regular pocket change.

Fourth question: How can I tell between the 1982 pennies whether they are Zinc or Copper without having to weigh them? I usually just balance it on my finger and hit it with another coin, and if it makes a high pitch "tink" sound I know its copper. Is that a good test? Or do any of you know other ways?

I love collecting coins. I Have all penny, dime, quarter and nickel folders to put every year in each slot. Of course, some are hard to find, like silver nickels. I also have Franklin half dollars and silver kennedy half dollars.

I would love to own a 1943 copper penny, a 1983 copper penny, and the 1982 dime that has no mint mark on it. I can only dream and wish haaha.

Just a curious ATSer wondering if anyone out there enjoys this as much as I do.

edit on 2-12-2010 by capgirl because: (no reason given)

Numismatics

I do love it, let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

1. Dont own any very rare coins. Probably the rarest I wown is an 1892 silver dollar, not very rare, only worth about 13 bucks.

2. The territory coins circulated in 2009. The national parks are 2010 series.

3. Difference in the 1982 pennies. The old copper ones usually look more corroded and pitted than the zinc coins. Obviously there is a weight difference but your method is good as well as the coins are otherwise identical.

top topics

join