It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiest's Billboard for Christmas Spirit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think its amusing, yet obviously it is bound to cause some grumping from the religious...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a287e37168e6.jpg[/atsimg]
Source

Last week, a billboard went up outside the New Jersey entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel. The billboard shows a nativity scene in silhouette, with three men riding camels toward a manger. That's a familiar image. What's unexpected is the text accompanying the image: "You KNOW it's a Myth. This Season, Celebrate REASON!"

So...have those evil athiests gone too far, or is turnabout fair play?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Definitely amusing. Well, I think it could have been done more...tastefully...but I have to say, I don't disagree with the fact that people should have a right to put up stuff like this. Fair play indeed. But, if that is the actual billboard, it looks rather poorly done to me. If you are going to make a statement, at least do it well.

Also, no I don't think most religious people "know" it's a myth, that's the problem. Silly billboard.
edit on 12/1/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
im a believer, with that said i can drive down the road and see the "he died for your sins" signs everywhere. Theres even a gient Jesus saves sign mowed into the hill side next to a major freeway i travel on.

its all freedom of speech. they have there signs. we have ours. as long as no one gets hurt its all good to me

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Hmm, seems harmless enough to me, If a little smug and blunt , theres far too much "i know something you dont know and that makes me better than you" going on, dont pay too much attention, definately nobody should be outraged! (IMHO)
edit on 1-12-2010 by arise91 because: needed to add IMHO

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

I am smelling a photoshop contest in the works...hmm

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Christians tell every other religion that their stories and accounts are myths. This will do them some good..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

*Sniff* *Sniff*
I smell arrogance.

edit on 1-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Giovannetti44
Christians tell every other religion that their stories and accounts are myths. This will do them some good..

thats not true as a whole. im a christian and dont do that. Im open and i would say 80% of christians are that way.

whats your belives are yours. whats mine is mine and i dont push it on people.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I am smelling a photoshop contest in the works...hmm

Sounds good to me

Let's get photoshopping!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Ahh yes...confrontational atheism - good times.

Though it's a little watered down...if this had been put up during the crusades, I'd stand and clap, but waging a war against organized religion in this day and age is almost passe'...

Now, if we get someone throwing up some anti-muslim billboard during Ramadan, I'll be impressed...or at least surprised.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Pretty cool poster if you ask me

Tho to be honest I have no idea what the fuss seems to be about.. where I live they hold the passion play in the street, while just down the road as this is happening is a animal run much like the Spanish bull run but with Pantomime animals
.. It is muchly fun

We can all can co-exist as long as some (both sides) don't try to claim only their views count..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Since most people won't bother to read the sign they'll probably see the picture and assume it's some Christian Christmas billboard.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Star for you my friend. Religious people will never be able to prove there is a God and atheists will never be able to prove there is not a god. No amount of fighting over it will ever change this. Its all about what YOU know to be true

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Though it's a little watered down...if this had been put up during the crusades, I'd stand and clap, but waging a war against organized religion in this day and age is almost passe'...

Now, if we get someone throwing up some anti-muslim billboard during Ramadan, I'll be impressed...or at least surprised.

The one thing I will give christianity is that...they are peaceful enough to take the endless slammings.

Its like...the people whom are gullible enough to believe in the myth, but reasonable enough to not hack the heads off of those whom poke fun at the belief.

that is actually a complement. the reason why people don't make loud overt fun at islam...because those guys are effin crazy...and no, the most violently crazy is not a good way to sell a religion...Christians should be glad they are the punching bag of athiests actually..it means it is on the level of intellectual debate verses a swordfight.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Giovannetti44
reply to post by camaro68ss

Star for you my friend. Religious people will never be able to prove there is a God and atheists will never be able to prove there is not a god. No amount of fighting over it will ever change this. Its all about what YOU know to be true

Athiests will never be able to prove there is no God, also they will never be able to prove there is no invisible unicorns, elves, etc...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by facelift

The one thing I will give christianity is that...they are peaceful enough to take the endless slammings.

I appreciate your comment! It's not mere coincidence though. True believers have Christ living inside them...It's not just a 'religion'. When you ask Jesus to be your savior he LITERALLY changes you inside. You become a new creation.
I used to be a jerk before I got saved.
Now I can't be like that, and if I am I feel really really bad inside.
So yeah...but just because we take a beating doesn't mean we don't fight back once in a while.
I'm more than willing to have an intellectual debate with any atheist as long as it doesn't turn into a God sneering thing.
Remember you put as much faith in science as we do in Christ

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well as long as it doesn't start a war! I am agnostic and pretty much keep my beliefs to myself. I do like the idea of "Peace on Earth" no matter the origin.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Very amusing

I say put them all up, everywhere. I want to see those billboards everywhere I look. Makes my faith stronger as far as I'm concerned. It affirms what the bible tells me will happen, a falling of the faith. It will happen, it needs to happen. Merry christmas from your favorite ATS christian! God bless you! or nothing bless you

edit on 12/1/2010 by The Endtime Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Oh that is funny. I grew up in a Catholic family, I have all the sacraments up to confirmation, and I won't ever step foot in church again. It is a load of bull in my opinion, but my family are still regular church-goers and typical religious types. My grandmother is abhorred that I haven't gotten my daughter baptized. I feel bad for my grandfather since he prolly only got his willy wet for reproduction, poor guy marrying a Catholic woman beholden to a bunch of old men in a far off place dictating morality. In any case, I'm going to post this on my Facebook for my family to see, it should be quite a talking point the next time we fly in to see them...Christmas!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Atheism is a religion just like any other,.

Nobody on this planet has any hard evidence to support the existence or non-existence of a higher power.

This billboard deserves to be mocked with the same spirit you would mock any other blatant religious propaganda.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join