It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuck in the '70's.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Now that I'm 49 I feel like my musical tastes are in a rut.

Favorite groups are Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Beatles, Police. I find myself gravitating to talk radio now a days.

I have heard new music and some I like a lot, but at award shows I don't really know anybody.

It's like watching a T.V. show from a foreign country.

Groups nominated for best rock I don't even consider rock music.

Our my best days behind me or do I have to open my musical experience.

I am a big fan of Pink so maybe there is hope for me after all.

Are there people out there that are also stuck in a time warp.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by copper5661

I tend to have the same issue where modern mainstream "music" is among the most useless things to ever befall the human ear. However, there is a plenty of good stuff slipping through the cracks out there if you are interested. If you are concerned about the time warp, let me throw a few recommendations your way, that might be of interest.

[Band - Album(s)]

Grinderman - Grinderman, Grinderman 2 -- This is raw, occasionally primal rock and roll that owes a debt to bands like The MC5 and the noisier side of King Crimson (as a matter of fact, Robert Fripp guests on a bonus track of the deluxe edition). Grinderman's frontman/songwriter is Nick Cave, who's been around since the early 80's and has a massive body of work worth checking out.

Concrete Blonde - Concrete Blonde, Mexican Moon, Live in Brazil, The Essential -- Not much help in the breaking out of the time warp thing since their main active years were 1986-1999, but a really great LA based band with one of the best female lead vocalists of all time. (Johnette Napolitano's voice has often been compared to Janis Joplin, Christie Hynde and Ann Wilson) Guitarist Jim Mankey is also truly amazing. Check out their cover of Little Wing to get a feel for what they do with a classic.

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love, Dry -- Excellent and diverse artist. To Bring You My Love is deeply influenced by classic blues but is definitely a rock album. Great voice and solid guitarist.

HUMANWINE - Fighting Naked, Mass Exodus -- Folky Post-Punk Gypsy Vaudevillian with a strong anti-authoritarian anarchistic streak. Great stripped down stuff with content that will appeal to any ATSer.

Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yep me to I'm 36 and have always loved music from this era.
I was brought up on elvis presley and johnny cash (dad was a big fan) and in my teenage years I discovered bands like the who ,pink floyd, ccr, and genesis.
I think the only time I was into modern music was in the late 80's early 90's when the whole rave scene was about.
Apart from that I prefer the older music it just seems better for some reason.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
if you have utorrent i might be able to help you take your first step towards the future although this album is from the past

thepiratebay.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by monobrow

The older music seems better to me. It seems more important.

I think for me it has to do with my childhood. My favorite James Bond was Sean Connery.

I think my childhood memories have had a lasting impression on all aspects of my life.

They simply bring back happy memories of my past.

By the way I was a big Monkees fan. Which must mean I like Neil Diamond 'cause he wrote many of their songs. I also like CCR and Genesis. YES, Black Sabbath, John Lennon some Queen and the list goes on and on. I also like alot of David Bowie.

I'm rambling, gotta go..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Can't say i'm stucked with the 70's. But many faves are tracks from that period. I'm both with rock and electronic and other style.
PF always, ever since 80. But i'm also pro 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and present time. I do not feel like hiding the Robbie Williams collection in a closet or anything like that

edit on 1-12-2010 by flymetothemoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I don't just think the music was better,I think the movies and Tv shows were better as well.
Just look at some the movies that were produced in the 70's you've got
star wars trilogy
The godfather
Close encounters of the third kind
Deer hunter
Rocky
Alien
Taxi driver
Jaws
Superman
And the list goes on and on, I can't think of any films that's been produced in last ten years that compares to any of these movies. Even Tv shows don't compare all we get now is soap opera's, quiz show's and the worst of all reality tv. So it look's like I'm stuck in a time warp as well, and you know what I'm happy here.

edit on 1-12-2010 by monobrow because: Typo

top topics

join