It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Air Force Creates 33rd Biggest Computer Using Nothing But Playstation 3s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I am a casual gamer and found this very interesting. It's kind of funny that our money goes towards projects like this.

"In all, 1760 consoles have been joined with "168 separate graphical processing units and 84 coordinating servers" to form what the Air Force is calling "the fastest interactive computer in the entire Defense Department". It's also, the military claims, the 33rd largest computer of any kind in the world."

"This "rat king" of PlayStation 3s will be used for things like research into AI, fast processing of satellite pictures and the enhancement of radar."

Something else I found interesting that a poster commented on was that if you add up the numbers: 1760+168+84 you get.... 2012!
It's the end of the world people, the end of the world.

SOURCE: kotaku.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relative Five
I am a casual gamer and found this very interesting. It's kind of funny that our money goes towards projects like this.

"In all, 1760 consoles have been joined with "168 separate graphical processing units and 84 coordinating servers" to form what the Air Force is calling "the fastest interactive computer in the entire Defense Department". It's also, the military claims, the 33rd largest computer of any kind in the world."

"This "rat king" of PlayStation 3s will be used for things like research into AI, fast processing of satellite pictures and the enhancement of radar."

Something else I found interesting that a poster commented on was that if you add up the numbers: 1760+168+84 you get.... 2012!
It's the end of the world people, the end of the world.

SOURCE: kotaku.com...

Better them spending it on something atleast "cool" and productive then spending it on *how dogs poop* or *How a cat laps milk*..

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAH!!!
edit on 1-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Relative Five

haha, dude quantum computing has capabilities of over 100 ghz NO PROBLEM. they are in subzero temperatures which allow them to operate much more efficiently. Playstation 3 is nowhere near the capabilities of quantum computing. MIS INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Sounds very familiar to a rumour before the iraq invasion..everyone was saying saddam was building a super computer with ps2's..not saying its related.just very similiar.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Prime-Vector

Buddy, quantum computers are in their infancy right now, and as for the 100ghz, they would not be computed on the same sort of scale once they are running efficiently. All quantum computers have really done at this point is replicate the hydrogen atom.

Rather than a normal binary code of 1's and 0's, everything will be a 1 and a 0 at the same time, or whatever is needed.

I can safely say that a quantum computer is a thing of the future and we are still a while off of having a decent prototype. How do I know this? Because even if the military had one they would be waging cyber wars rather than anything else. A quantum computer would be able to hack our most encrypted software (regardless of what it is) in seconds.

There would be no fighting it. There would be no hiding it. Our most complex mathematics would be a cake walk.

The PS3 is a decent computer, this sounds plausible in my books.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
So does this mean the military will be prosecuted for copyright infringement??

Just wondering.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Terminator 2 on the tv.....hmmm.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Will the Engineers of this super computer go to jail for modding their systems like that kid that did last year??
Oh thats right... Immunity must be a nice thing.

scitech.blogs.cnn.com... modding-xbox-consoles/
edit on 1-12-2010 by billb1215 because: add link

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
everyone should hurry and run out and buy 2013 Ps3s so we can counter the military's ability to super compute us:/

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Gee Whiz, You know that was absconded from some unwitting student But more importantly, Sorry Pokey,
but that experiment is not quite on the level of mature justification of Taxpayer Dollars. The Official Automatic Reply:
'But It may help us initiate more recruits." Understood , your point is noted. But the previous research speaks for itself.
The best recruits, and therefore soldiers,officers,and later Citizens step forward of Free Choice.

If your artificially create a mindless screwball, you will end up having to Deal with a mindless screwball.

Remember? Check this out... Link www.youtube.com...

Our grand kids may be shining shoes in the street because of your lack of oversight.

That's right Our Grand Kids, Yours and Mine..Get it? For once in your life, Step up to the Plate and Swing True.

Good One,,,,,S&F

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
meh, there is still nothing more advanced than the heart, mind and faith
of man that Creator created. (including free will). Why do you think they
need us to interface at some level with their systems?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
i think this is really cool; but the lack of oversight regarding the military using a system like this that is derived from the commercial sector is "interesting". i wonder the type of systems that can be created with one piece of non commercial grade governmental equipment resources and countless funds and manpower to make something "go".

it makes me wonder if the government has access to non commercial grade technology.

new topics

top topics

join