It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Approves Gay Marriage!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
source

Illinois took a major step Tuesday night toward allowing civil unions for same-sex couples, a sign that gay rights keeps gaining momentum inside a Capitol where it languished for decades.

As onlookers broke out into cheers, the House for the first time ever approved civil unions, with one vote to spare. Supporters expect the Senate to follow suit Wednesday, and Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn campaigned this fall on a pledge to sign it into law.

This is great news! Illinois is a wonderful state to be so progressive, right here in the deeply religious Midwest, I am proud of my neighbor state today! I won't hold my breath for Kentucky to step into the 21st century, though.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Its amazing how this sort of thing is so news worthy.

Just another pointless promotion of gay marriage. Who cares if they are allowed. Marraige means nothing in America where it has the highest divorce rate in the western world.

So letting these gay people marry means nothing also. Think about it. Its only marriage.

the concept is benign now and has no relevance in today's world. Just a tradition for people to feel better avout their status together. Well, till something better comes along, like a taller, smarter, blonder and hotter woman. OR man in this case.

Let them cheer. Still can't have children naturally.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
If Gay Marriage is legal that means Incest Marriage is legal.

Looks like illinois may get a tourism boost from all the brothers and sisters who want to get married as well.

If illinois refused to give a marriage license for an incest marriage....but is giving them out to gay marriages....somebody could win lots of money in a court case.

Who needs money right now? Run to illinois and try to marry yer sister!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
What do you expect from the "sucker State."
2nd line

Mod Edit: Adding "2nd line" doesn't make it any less of a 1-liner!
edit on 1-12-2010 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Looks like illinois may get a tourism boost from all the brothers and sisters who want to get married as well.

If illinois refused to give a marriage license for an incest marriage....but is giving them out to gay marriages....somebody could win lots of money in a court case.

I don't follow your logic.

Gay marriage involves two unrelated adults, same as straight marriage. Incest, on the other hand, involves two related adults, and as such, is not even similar to gay marriage and therefore cannot be compared in the way you have just done.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodgame

Just another pointless promotion of gay marriage. Who cares if they are allowed. Marraige means nothing in America where it has the highest divorce rate in the western world.

So letting these gay people marry means nothing also. Think about it. Its only marriage.

the concept is benign now and has no relevance in today's world. Just a tradition for people to feel better avout their status together. Well, till something better comes along, like a taller, smarter, blonder and hotter woman. OR man in this case.

It's not about the success of each gay couple. It's about success for the gay movement towards total equality. It is very newsworthy. This is a step towards more freedom and equality for all Americans.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
But, in reply to the actual OP:

Your thread title is wrong. Your source indicates it is the establishment of civil unions, which are not marriage.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

It's actually a pretty big deal. Their spouses will be legally entitled to more benefits. Just because there's a possibility that they'll get divorced doesn't mean we should deny them the rights that others have.

And it doesn't matter if they "can't have children naturally." They can still adopt, and methods are being researched where it would actually be possible to create a fertilized egg with the combined genetics of a homosexual couple.

Originally posted by Pervius

So Gay Marriage makes Incest Marriage legal, but regular Heterosexual Marriage doesn't? How does that even make sense? Gay Marriage =/= Incest Marriage. Legalizing one is not the same as legalizing both. It's an entirely different issue.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yay. One more state reinforces the notion that no consenting adults may form a union without asking the state for permission first.

I hate you "gay marriage" people. You're fighting the wrong fight. You're fighting more more state control and more state interference. Wont be long now before we have to petition for children or at least petition the state to not sell our children off to a plantation for profit or for "diversity."

Congratulations you totalitarian asshats.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

What's more amazing is how they supressed something that 8 Million people were fighting for... for 40 years... especially considering "nobody cares"

Although marriage for gay people has very much not been about the money, it is also the most concrete bidependant financial situation known to humanity. Defending the fact that, up until modern times, it has been limited to congress between a man and a woman for some reason is beyond anyone with a free mind.

I can see why heterosexual relationships have such a high success rate... so many eligible intelligent straight men out there
... Marriage means nothing....

...To those who haven't had to fight for it. Talking about taking things for granted

Wow, guess that makes heterosexuals better than gays
? This sentence sure did a better job of stating that than it did of staying on topic. Just had to throw that in at the last second to make sure everyone know that you were straight when you left the thread? You sound very secure. Can you please take off and stop rubbing your sexual orientation in my face? Oh, and take your heterosexual agenda with you!

Anyways, it's okay. Most gay people don't want to have kids naturally; they're too busy taking care of the children that the irresponsible heterosexual hump-addicted fiends pump out and then leave on the side of the road in the middle of an Ontarian winter.

So these heterosexuals complain that there's nothing for the gay people to be getting happy about?

Let them whine. Still can't raise children like responsible adults.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Yay. One more state reinforces the notion that no consenting adults may form a union without asking the state for permission first.

...?

Joint bank accounts?

Common Law?

Joint ownership?

Joint mortgages?

Sexual intercourse?

Looks like someone is lost in the dark... kind of silly considering there's a flashlight in your hand.

I hate you "gay marriage" people. You're fighting the wrong fight. You're fighting more more state control and more state interference. Wont be long now before we have to petition for children or at least petition the state to not sell our children off to a plantation for profit or for "diversity."

The state controlled who was allowed to be united before based only on their body parts. There is no longer such control. Surely this victory against control is a victory for control, because you said so.

Congratulations you totalitarian asshats.

And let the countdown to post deleting begin...
edit on 1-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It is just civil unions, but it's a step in the right direction of equal protection under the law.
Illinois, you progressive little state, you!

Under the proposal, same-sex couples would enjoy several rights married couples currently have, such as making end-of-life decisions, handling probate matters, sharing nursing home rooms or even visiting partners in hospitals that deny visits by anyone but family.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
So glad that's the most important thing to consider and worry about passing with the state of the country today.............ah well, nothing new, vote for the liberal causes and let the rest of the state/country go to hell.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
So glad that's the most important thing to consider and worry about passing with the state of the country today.............ah well, nothing new, vote for the liberal causes and let the rest of the state/country go to hell.

You mean you're glad it's over and done with after 40 years of a non-issue concerning equal rights that anti-liberals dismissed via the "definition of a word"... yet this definition has been changed thousands of times throughout history? So now we can get back to the real issues in Illinois?

I'm glad the anti-liberal dismissive zealots are done melodramatically attacking subjects that concern equal rights . Aren't you
?
edit on 1-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It is just civil unions, but it's a step in the right direction of equal protection under the law.
Illinois, you progressive little state, you!

Under the proposal, same-sex couples would enjoy several rights married couples currently have, such as making end-of-life decisions, handling probate matters, sharing nursing home rooms or even visiting partners in hospitals that deny visits by anyone but family.

We are so screwed here, you have no idea,but I am happy for the gays.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

I'll take the bait....nope, I'm glad the state has nothing more pressing than this.....they must be doing better than all of the other states. So glad we can raise up one selective groups rights while the federal government does away with more rights for the rest of us. If this is the most important thing in the state, it speaks volumes about those elected and who greases the wheel..............

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by Brood

I'll take the bait....nope, I'm glad the state has nothing more pressing than this.....they must be doing better than all of the other states. So glad we can raise up one selective groups rights while the federal government does away with more rights for the rest of us. If this is the most important thing in the state, it speaks volumes about those elected and who greases the wheel..............

Weird, here I was thinking your last post dismissed it as a non-issue, and now here you are saying that gay people have more rights than straight people and everyone else's -- which excludes "the gays" because the only stuff that happens to them is what they tell us about on the idiot box -- are being taken away.

I wonder who actually has the agenda here.

I'm also going to take this time to point out this is about the 20th post you've made that I've witnessed you attempting to murder a thread in saying "Pay attention to the issues that affect ME, not just you!11!!!11!".

Seriously, grow up.

Not everyone thinks like you (you can decide who to thank for that)...
edit on 2-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This is a step in the right direction..it is a shame that people have to fight for a right that should be self evident.

Way to go Illinois.

Peace.

P.S. Some people are always looking for the pee in the snow.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

It's absolutely a victory for control. A victory for liberty would be kicking the state out of all unions. The state has no business sticking its nose in the middle of consenting adults and their god. Marriage as long as it involves the state says the state is equal to or even more powerful than your god or whatever your supreme authority may be.

Hang on, I'm about to go sanctify my union with my partner here before my god but I have to swing by the town hall right quick and make sure they're okay with it.

This "gay marriage" distraction just says to the state that we're okay with asking them for permission before we wed unto god. We just want a tiny bit more leeway.....if that pleases the state.

A few generations of this indoctrinations has apparently wiped out the very concept of liberty in a bunch of you. Now it's "liberty as approved of by the state." In this sense the state and "god" have become interchangeable. Not a good thing to have a bunch of bureaucrats define the limits of your existence.

I suppose we could always roll the clock back to medieval superstition and say it's okay to be a slave now because when I die I'll be free?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I agree that we shouldn't have to ask for what should be a self evident right..but by your logic we should just accept that we have no rights at all.

By you logic we should accept Homeland security/TSA/GITMO because it shouldn't exist in the first place.

By your logic we should accept the patriot act because it shouldn't exist in the first place.

We should accept slavery because it shouldn't exist in the first place?

Is it the victory from enslavement that we all wish for? No..but it is not a setback as you claim.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join