It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True black pride

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what color/race you are, it's all about your "community" standards. I use the word "community" in the loosest possible sense, meaning peer group, neighborhood, friends, school, home environment, etc.
If someone is brought up by and surrounded by individuals that don't expect success, then they will not be successful. It's as simple as that. If all your parents and friends do is hang out, drink, curse, and f**k, you won't imagine that you can live any better unless presented with the alternative with a supporting environment.
I think one of the huge problems with these communities is that you're actually looked down upon and ridiculed for being successful (in the black community's case, an "Uncle Tom" or a "Sell-Out") unless you're an athlete or entertainer. It can be a very difficult cycle to break, and I think that's one of the things that Cosby was getting at.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
i aplaude cosby for saying what he did. it takes alot of balls to do that, espically if doining it about your own race. its about time that somebody did something other than blame "whity" or republicans for something that they have no part in. its not "whity's" or republicans fault that people and their childern cant read or write, or speak english for that matter, and caling each other the 'n' word. you dont see white pople going around calling each other "cracker." you dont see arabs going around calling each other "towel heads." wtf man

give it to em cosby.

[Edited on 7-7-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
What up my cracka?

Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Tough love is still love, and Cosby is not the kinda guy to talk about problems without trying to help solve them.
www.cnn.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join