It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by mwm1331
They are the words of man who knows his people are being mislead and lied to by those who claim to support them. www.cnn.com...
He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."
"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street"
Originally posted by Faisca
Amen I think Cosby is doing great things for his community.
Originally posted by mwm1331
First of all I'm not anti-minority I am however anti-excuse, Anti-bull# and anti-ingnorance. The fact is that while 20-30 years ago the opportunities for blacks were severly limited I dont think thats still true. A lot of people seem to think that if you say that the black community has gone downhill that your anti-black but when you compare much of the black youth today to those who fought and died for thier rights in the 60s its knda sad. 40 years ago Young black men fought for the right to go to good schools and today black children have one of, if not the, highest drop out and illerteracy rates in america.
• Percentage of African-American adults in 1960 who had completed high school: 20.1%
• Percentage of African-American adults in 2002 who had completed high school: 78.7% (U.S. Department of Education)
• Number of black elected officials in the United States in 1970: 1,469
• Number of black elected officials in the United States in 2000: 9,040 (Joint Center for Political Studies)
• Number of black judges in the United States in 1970: 209
• Number of black judges in the United States in 2000: 686 (Joint Center for Political Studies)
• Percentage of all white households with incomes of $50,000 who own stock or stock mutual funds: 79%
• Percentage of all black households with incomes of $50,000 who own stock or stock mutual funds: 61% (Ariel Mutual Funds/Charles Schwab)
CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."
It was proposed that the teachers in Oakland California learn "Ebonics" as to better understand the community of black students they could no longer understand . It was shot down , and rightly so . Teachers need to teach proper grammar , and insist on its use (at least in the classroom) .
Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
i think PART of the problem this country faces is this seperatist notion than blacks are their own community. in fact i find the very concept to be racist. this applies to those who feel they have their own community and those who they have their own community. they're part of THE community, not A community all unto themselves.
Originally posted by intrepid
Bill is passionate about education. He wasn't speaking to the WHOLE black community, just those not taking advantage of the opportunities that past activism gave to them.