It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nice going Republicans: Cut-off of jobless aid would lower economic growth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I resonate with the spirit of this OP. And so star and flag. I would just redirect it a bit for my own personal slant on this theme and aim at the bankers and the owners of large corporations in fascist collusion with politicians....because it's who's behind the Repubs that matters...THOSE jackasses need to be hearing about this. Yes, the Repubs too, which is why I've starred and flagged, but also the others I have mentioned because they are the ones pulling the government's strings.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

What about those leeches in Congress that you voted for?

I'm sick of seeing the common man/woman/child attacked by these self-righteous bearers of high morals.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

Why don't you ask the Republicans wanting to pass Bush era tax cuts for the rich heh?

Watch this video and what do you think? Do you have a better argument or rebuttal to it?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
reply to post by Stargate2012

Hmmm...

From the article linked in the OP.

Republican lawmakers oppose an extension of the unemployment aid if it would enlarge the government's $1.3 trillion budget deficit. They insist that the cost -- around $5 billion a month -- be offset with budget cuts elsewhere. Those cuts would reduce the economic impact of extending the benefits. Some in Congress want to pair an extension of unemployment aid with a deal to also extend the Bush-era tax cuts.

From that - it looks like the main thing they want is cuts somewhere else in the budget to pay for it. They aren't opposed to the program it seems as much as they are asking for cuts somewhere in the budget to pay for it.

Whoops, there you go posting facts. Facts don't get the attention that hyperbole does.

Let unemployment be funded for the next 10 years....just CUT other BS spending to offset the costs.

I'm not a Rethuglican nor a Demoncrat. Both are equally liable for the leviathan sucking the life out of this country. Geez, get over the left/right paradigm and realize neither has your best interests in mind as much as they have their own best interests in mind.

I have no doubt BILLIONS could be quickly cut from the budget just by getting rid of ding-a-lings making >$100K per year who add NO value to our system whatsoever.

Hell, just cutting from the Pentagon's budget could pay unemployment for the next 30 years.

Holding a gun to your neighbors head so they can be shaken down to pay for you is lunacy.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The republicans are immoral depraved anti-human anti-Americans disguised as human beings.

Traditionally when unemployment is as high as it is now, near 10 percent, they never care about “paying” for it; the funds come out of a emergency fund, therefore the republican excuse wont wash.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Cant watch the vid right now, but will when I return home and comment accordingly.

In regards to the tax cuts, considering the "wealthy" pay a very large portion of the taxes, why shouldnt they be the first to realize a tax cut?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

Because the rich have it better than ever now. Why not allow it to go back to Clinton tax levels? It would make more economic sense to lower taxes a little bit more for the middle class. But we have seen clearly, that the Bush era tax cuts, especially to the wealthy did little at all to stimulate more hiring and businesses. Private sector hiring was horrible during the Bush administration.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Taxing some more than others simply because they can afford it flies in the face of liberty.

Why not reduce taxes for everyone and demand reduction in spending by government?

Eliminating all unconstitutional social programs and reducing defense spending would be a giant step in the right direction.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

"Cut-off of jobless aid would lower economic growth"

Explain how you measure economic growth in relation to benefits primarily paid for by business taxes.
Explain how unemployment benefits being cut off after a reasonable date will affect economic growth.
Who gains from this arrangement?

"If Congress lets unemployment benefits expire this week for the long-term unemployed, they won't be the only ones to feel the pain. The overall economy would suffer, too. "

Where do the unemployment benefits come from? How are they funded?
How long should unemployed workers be compensated? How long should they be extended?

"Unemployment benefits help drive the economy because the jobless tend to spend every dollar they get, pumping cash into businesses."

Can you cite real life statistics that bear this out?

"Annual economic growth could fall by one half to nearly 1 percentage point."

Can it also rise due to other factors? Can we be sure that this is an accurate assessment?
edit on 30-11-2010 by Smack because: added quotes

top topics

<< 1   >>

join