It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has your mind convinced you of today?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
While taking a hot shower yesterday, my favorite place for relaxation and sudden insights, I was struck with something that changed my life. I will do my best to get it across to you, the reader, in an intelligible way.

We all have conversations with ourselves in our minds. Which is weird because a conversation implies that there are two people. One usually does the talking and the other does the listening and agreeing. What occurred to me is that on a regular basis, I was concocting ideas and beliefs about things based on this silly voice in my head.

The voice comes off as a logical thinker with sound reasoning so I tend to listen to it. Heres a sample of a conversation between these two people.

Professor Mind: These people you are working for right now are jerks. If they were worth your time, they wouldn't treat you this way. You are better than them

The Listener: Your god damn right. I shouldn't have to put up with this.

This was just a small example, but the key is to catch this act happening. You are having a conversation in your mind and the end result is you agreeing to a new outlook, theory, or mindset about your life. Your babbling professor starts talking, sounding all logical, you listen, then come out agreeing on it.

Now let me tell you from experience, The Professors logic is shortsighted, egotistical, and usually based on fear. That sample conversation, had I not seen it for what it was, would have led me down a path that I would have been doomed to repeat past mistakes, only slowing down the spiritual evolutionary process. In my case I would have seen my customers as the enemy and something separate from me when that couldn't be farther from the truth. That was my lesson, and the professor was trying to keep it from me. Trying to keep up old habits and viewpoints. Through simple observation I was able to see it for what it was.

Being convinced by the mind is also a double edged sword. Because of your mental acceptance, you will start to see whatever it is you agreed on happening in your life, or proving itself. This is not because your professor was right, but only because you listened to it and agreed. This is the law of attraction in its purest form. Whatever your mind convinces you of, you begin to focus on, and it will literally become your reality.

So the key is observation. This skill comes with practice. Meditation is a very helpful tool as its goal is to be the silent observer of the mind. Not engaging it in conversation, just watching as you would a child on a baby monitor. Therefore no convincing or agreeing can be done.

Then you can see the mind for what it is, the compilation of the entirety of your social conditioning since birth. It is not you, it is a product of what you have been taught by a bunch of people who have no clue what we are doing here or where we came from.

All of the answers are inside of you, you just have to be still enough to hear them.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight

So the key is observation. This skill comes with practice. Meditation is a very helpful tool as its goal is to be the silent observer of the mind. Not engaging it in conversation, just watching as you would a child on a baby monitor. Therefore no convincing or agreeing can be done.

All of the answers are inside of you, you just have to be still enough to hear them.

This is so true and I have found that meditation does indeed help with the observation of "me".

Great subject for a thread and also something to ponder today.

"What has my mind convinced me of today?" is a very deep question indeed.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Then you can see the mind for what it is, the compilation of the entirety of your social conditioning since birth. It is not you, it is a product of what you have been taught by a bunch of people who have no clue what we are doing here or where we came from.

And with this you hit the nail on the head. The key to our society moving forward as a whole, be it after a revolutionary change from this current slumber or a mass epiphany, will be for all of us to adopt this way of thinking so that we may not taint our coming generations with our psychological shortcomings.

The sooner everyone understood this, the sooner life would become better in all parts of the spectrum.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Awesome thread!

As the last poster mentioned, this idea should help people to free themselves from psychological damage inflicted on us by our parents and society. It's so tempting to blame everything else but you have to acknowledge that the psychological damage has been firmly ingrained in our society for more generations than we could know. It would be a never ending cycle of blame if we allowed that voice to guide us!

S+F!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Wow, well put. It's something that we do our whole lives, yet its so natural to us that we don't really realize that we're doing it. Maybe this is like the two sides of our brain having a conversation. I just came across this great link and i think it has a lot to do with this topic. Here's part of the article:

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS uses logic detail oriented facts rule words and language present and past math and science can comprehend knowing acknowledges order/pattern perception knows object name reality based forms strategies practical safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS uses feeling "big picture" oriented imagination rules symbols and images present and future philosophy & religion can "get it" (i.e. meaning) believes appreciates spatial perception knows object function fantasy based presents possibilities impetuous risk taking

viewzone2.com...
the whole article is in the link above. Basically, the article talks about how there are actually two different people inside our heads. The left side is the logical one and focuses on every detail. The right side Is more focused on the "big picture" stuff.
Nobel prize winner, Roger sperry conducted experiments on a patient where he removed the man's corpus collosum. He was able to communicate with each "half" of the patient, without the other side knowing.
Pretty interesting stuff.
I believe this is why people who are left handed are generally seen as the "smarter" people, because they are more focused on the logical side of things, and is what our system values more in society (math, language, etc) while the people who are more right brained are creative and artistic, which is not as dominant in current society,
Anyway, thanks for posting, got me thinking about this stuff and helped me come across this great article so enjoy.
S&F

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
great thread! i just finished Eckhart Tolles "A New Earth" which covers this subject. i`m still trying to master seperating my ego from my being. i`m glad more people are taking interest in spiritual awakening; only good things can come from this! S + F

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I disagree that Professor Mind is egotistical, shortsighted, and that what he/she has to say is based off of fear. I think that whatever Professor Mind expresses is highly related to the personality developed, in fact that can be the only explanation for the direction and tone of Professor Mind's lectures, as the ego is the expressed personality, and they develop as one.That is why you cannot always understand what is clear to me, and that is why one might become upset or frustrated or even spiteful of a person they cannot understand, while another may be completely flattered and intrigued by the incomprehensible person. This is best represented by our attraction to other people. What Professor Mind expresses is completely dependent upon what Professor Mind knows and under what environment and external, as well as internal, pressures it learned.

In my own experiences with an unfair boss, Professor Mind never condemned the man and complimented me on my behalf. Rather, Professor Mind asked me for what reasons could Mr Boss be acting so unruly towards me. Could he be stressed by something here at work or at home? Is Mr Boss's wife cheating on him and he just found out but does not know how to react and is therefore subversively expressing or intentionally directing his anger and confusion on to me? Is Mr Boss just greedy and discriminative against the younger folks such as myself? He is pretty rude to us, maybe he has a superiority or seniority complex? Could he have a headache?

I mean the dissertations of the ego can be so varied, it's difficult to really conclusively define it for a general understanding unless you reduce the broad scope of the ego to its more central significance, and that, like you said, is naturally directed at the self, as the self is represented by the ego and the ego is expressed by the self, but there are a multitude of representations that the ego can take, meaning there just as many expressions of the self.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

I agree. My professor mind is very reasonable and humble. Mostly because I trained it that way over the years.

I find that the best way to avoid convincing yourself of an untruth is to constantly disagree with that little voice. At least at first. That way you have to debate with it, and if it is wrong you should find out pretty quickly.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The way i look at it, is your brain is the receiver for your mind. Your mind is outside your brain.

Your brain transmits out and receives in. What purpose does this play in evolution, nothing, as we where most definately created, though as humans we do get accustomed to our environment.

Your brain receving and transmitting out plays no part in evolution, but our brain does it. Evolution does not address this,a s we are taught the brain does not, but it does period.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

edit on 30-11-2010 by electricalpup because: keyboard screwed up

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My mind has convinced me that the world is a terrible place, and there is nothing I can do about it but hope and pray. That nobody loves me, and everyone is playing games, that no one will ever understand me, and life will stay the same.

Do I want to believe this?

HELL NO

but I am here, I am me, and there is no escaping this reality.

I pray everyday. I focus my thoughts on what my souls says, what I know to be true, but I feel like I am living in two realities, two worlds, and in this one, nothing is New.

:'(

I'm actually really sad today.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Thoughts become nothing, and everything, if you so let them.

thoughts are worthless, meaningless, unless you can apply them, communicate with signals or diction, must find a way to get them out in the open.

If there is pain, let the world know about it, why? because how else is anyone going to fix it?

Angry thoughts? Sad thoughts causing Depression?
COME ON PEOPLE!

What happened to SELF EXPRESSION

Take it there,
Go there,
and do it OFTEN

never let someone have power over your thoughts within
if you feel it, you feel with your heart, and your mind TRIES to comprehend.

Thought is NOTHING, so therefore, NOT A SIN

be free,

One of my favorite sayings, from the Father of Funk himself,
"Free your mind, and your a.ss will follow"
-George Clinton
edit on 30-11-2010 by leira7 because: The Original DogFather

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by leira7

I can assure that the feeling of 'no one understands me' is something you share with many many many people, probably more so on ATS, so try not to worry about that! In fact I think probably 99% of people feel this way, most people deal with it by hiding behind and submitting to their ego. Their 'real' self is something to be hidden and revealed only to a trusted few. Be glad that you've started to explore who you really are, and be glad that you've found a place like this where you can be a bit more free with yourself. AKA turn that frown upside down, or else

I think the ego or professor mind or however you want to discribe it, is not the enemy, it's something you are stuck with so you might as well work with it and learn how to use it to your advantage. Or is that just my ego talking?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by March of the Fire Ants
reply to post by leira7

I can assure that the feeling of 'no one understands me' is something you share with many many many people, probably more so on ATS, so try not to worry about that! In fact I think probably 99% of people feel this way, most people deal with it by hiding behind and submitting to their ego.

I HATE your answer. Your answer does not solve my problem, in fact, I think your answer SUCKS, and it does not make me feel any better than I did before I posted on this thread. I am making a point, in answering you this way, it is up to you to let your ego take it personally.

Oh, what is my point?
SELF EXPRESSION

No more Mr. Nice Guy
No more sugar coating anything for me
No more order and decency

why?
because the world, this Universe doesn't deserve it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by asperettyI mean the dissertations of the ego can be so varied, it's difficult to really conclusively define it for a general understanding unless you reduce the broad scope of the ego to its more central significance, and that, like you said, is naturally directed at the self, as the self is represented by the ego and the ego is expressed by the self, but there are a multitude of representations that the ego can take, meaning there just as many expressions of the self.

Very well said my friend. It turns out I was in fact generalizing. The professor comes through in many forms, some times for me it is the sage instead of the professor that asks, what could be going on in this persons life that is causing them to act like this?

I wholeheartedly believe that everyone on this planet does the best they can based on their level of awareness. Sometimes though, when your face to face with that someone and energy is running high, the angry professor can come through. Like i said, whats important is that you observe these thought processes. Through observation, I have seen less and less of the egotistical world view and have become surprisingly compassionate towards people or actions that usually banish the sage within me. It is a very strange thing to feel anger and resistance towards someone and then love and compassion come out of nowhere.

Amazing stuff, thanks for challenging me!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Generalizations are nothing, and everything.

You've got to know when to love and hate, and love it when you do so. I love to love and I love to hate, never hate to love or hate to hate, unless you love hating to hate. there is no flip side to the coin, your heart is all and null, learn to hear the voice you call, your mind is a powerful tool, CONTROL IT, or "they" will control you.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Some say the external world is a reflection of whats going on inside of your mind. The good thing is we have a choice to become aware of whats going on inside of our heads. We can recognize where it is coming from and change our views and watch as it is magically reflected in our outer world.

After and being locked up for years in the worst conditions imaginable and seeing the destruction of his family and his people in a concentration camp, Viktor Frankel, an author and psychiatrist had this to say;

"Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

In the most deplorable of human conditions, this man still found freedom in his choice of attitude towards the world.

A lighter example of how this works; you are interested in a new car, say a Jeep. You want one so bad that you begin to focus on it intently. You then begin to see Jeeps everywhere you look. If you have never purchased a car think of anything else you wanted badly, you begin seeing signs and things related to your focus everywhere. Your outlook works the same way, you see more of what you focus on internally in the external world. If you are focused on doom and gloom, you will see it in every corner.

Try to go out and do something for someone. Be the change you wish to see in the world. If you truly do this you will be amazed and good things will begin to surround you.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

reply to post by leira7

Try to go out and do something for someone. Be the change you wish to see in the world. If you truly do this you will be amazed and good things will begin to surround you.

I'm going to be honest, because I feel that honesty is lacking in these times. Helping complete strangers does absolutely NOTHING for me. Call me heartless, but this is the way God made me. (judge if you wish, just know that I am truly being honest).

I believe the world should have more people like me in it, but I need to be realistic, because it's going to take millions of years to see billions of the same face in it, and I can be patient, but this flower is forever wilting. Who knows if I can live longer than a 1/2 a century. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm trying to be realistic. So I keep my PRIORITIES in focus.

What is something that I have always wanted?

LOVE
and this is what I meditate on, and have done so, ever since I was 2.
(believe what you want, but I swear, this is the truth)

Have I gotten it yet? Have I seen any signs in this life?
No.
because the Love that I am after, is TRULY DIVINE
there is not a flicker of it here, but I do keep hope alive and near.

My desire to have the love that is in my mind is the ONLY THING keeping me here.
Call it sad, dependent, pathetic, I really don't care.
My life, My way, My hopes and dreams.
I have never given up on my one and only goal.

What does this have to do with the world?
Nottadamn thing, and EVERYTHING
the change that I wish to see, cannot seem to find me.

Call me evil, and maybe you're right.
Love is the only thing that gives sight.

Some people love their dogs, their personal assistants, and cars.
Some people love god, money, and law.

I love Fairytale endings.
edit on 30-11-2010 by leira7 because: being honest is the only for FOR ME, maybe not for you, be free.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

are these songs you are quoting? or maybe you have read some of my writings somewhere... or maybe you are just my subconscious manifested and speaking my mind before i get the opportunity... so how did you get the nerve to pull my thoughts and type them here? of course none of this is true and nothing is real, and really there is nothing, only life which leads to only death.
i often listen to the voice in my head, there is more than one and i HATE what they have to say... if i listened to it i would have found the nearest interstate and went for a walk blindfolded.
you can't MAKE anyone love you, you can make people hate you though, how does that make sense???
sorry i've definitely gone way off the subject here, or have i? leira7, it is the voice that is telling you to feel that way, i wish i could say to shun the voices, but i don't believe it... i have tried and they always pipe up again... i am left handed and therefore right brained, but i was diagnosed bipolar many years ago, although i have reason to believe it was a misdiagnosis, but then again, looking up at my own post, maybe not, so how would i fit in with this??? actually quite well i guess, maybe my corpus callosum doesn't work right... anyways, i really do love to read your posts leira7, and i'm sure you hate me for saying that, and i want to say that's cool, but it's not... don't get me wrong, i don't hate you, and i am very impressed with your lack of ability to be 'cheered up' today, hope things get better for you, but if you have my luck, they won't....
but this is a wonderful thread here, S&F, to each his own and i hope all of your thoughts keep you sane, obviously mine aren't working today
edit on 30-11-2010 by schitzoandro because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-11-2010 by schitzoandro because: grammatical

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
the subconscious is a very powerful tool (if you allow it to be), which could easily lead to mass destruction or mass construction (and most certainly mass confusion), it's all how you interpret it. i would definitely say the voices in my head are all quite of a lower intelligence than myself, although i am made up of these thoughts so... but it makes sense that it would be a compilation of thoughts and experiences that have accumulated and accrued... your inner voice may be that perfect contrast, that yin to yang, salt to pepper, that we all need... it helps us make those crucial decisions, whether right or wrong, although i don't know how many times i must refer to star wars and the fact that good and evil are all in your own opinion, the outcome is of course for the critical masses to make their own assumptions on, back you if they feel your thoughts are true and correct, or condemn you if they look to their left and to their right and see everyone else grimacing at you... too bad usually too, since this world wants so much of us... maybe it's just that ability, the 'free will' or the right to not know if we so choose... i think that is what it is, those voices, they are just what others have tried to teach you or what you have experienced, but then again, it's not really you, it's what others will think, right? the question is, which ones do you listen to, and which do you omit from processing into the 'real'?
i have meditated, i study a few different belief's daily, i have been told i was broken a few years back, funny thing is, days prior i felt i had reached a point in my meditation that teetered on enlightenment... completely indescribable, and scary, and wonderful... i have never reached that height again when using any one technique, and have been quite bothered by that... anyways, sorry, way off the subject here (maybe), just wanted to say that this thread definitely will get your mind working and wondering if you let it... and it looks like my mind has potentially convinced me of a few things today, or actually, maybe the fact that i disagreed with my mind is what lead me to these convictions... thank you for the exploratory journey today, it is always much appreciated
edit on 30-11-2010 by schitzoandro because: grammatical

top topics

<<   2 >>

join