It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Canals in America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Even if they are more modern, who built them. There are a lot of areas in LA that are not readily accessible, but what about the areas in NJ? That area has been populated since America was colonized. Yes, the Pine Barrens are wilderness, but the coastal areas are well know. Some of those canals travel out to sea and across bays. There should be some record of their construction. More importantly, has there been a coastal shift great enough to account for canals running through bays?

I will check out the link and then ask if that canal should me removed from his list. Any time you can show that a canal has modern history, he removes it. I think he is curoius, not deliberately misleading.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

I think that many of the sites shown, are examples of failed attempts to drain swamps, from the late 18th through the 19th into the early 20th century. There doesnt HAVE to be a record of the projects anywhere, there might be if you knew which archive to go through, but most of the older records have been lost to the past.

There are plenty of canals here, central cal, that used to be seasonal streams and were turned into canals in the 19th century, but there is no record of who actualy built them, only a record of when they were taken over by a water district.

The funny thing about the website is that it doesnet have any of the actual acient canal in north america, those built the Native americans in the SW.

And his idea of some pre-deluvian agricultural society just doesnt hold any water, the archeological record clearly shows when agriculture starts in north america and where it happend.
And sea level has risen substantialy since the new world was first colonized, forming new bays and estuaries in low lying areas.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join