It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Both "Sides" Want to Restrict our Rights - Just Different Ones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
1st Amendment - Speech, Religion - Both
Liberals want to restrict "hate speech" and religious expression (mostly of Christians)
Conservatives want to restrict freedom of (non-Christian) religious expression

Very true, won't argue there.

2nd Amendment - Firearm Ownership - Liberals
Liberals want to restrict firearm ownership

It has already been said in this thread that both parties can claim ownership to restricting, in my opinion, our most precious right...But foremost I blame the people for letting the government do this.

3rd Amendment - Quartering of Troops - NA

This is certainly NOT N/A. While we don't have troops living in our homes the policy lattice work is most certainly in place for the US Government to place troops where ever the hell they want. Remember they can seize property in times of emergency that they deem necessary. All done by executive orders spanning decades.

4th Amendment - Search and Seizure - Both
Patriot Act is supported by both

Indeed

5th Amendment - Due Process - Conservatives
Conservatives want to limit due process for terror suspects

Just conservatives? Any party or group of people who would restrict ANY right would be violating the right to due process.

6th Amendment - Jury Trial - Conservatives
Conservatives want to limit jury trial for terror suspects

If it's just conservatives then why is Obama's administration overseeing an assassination program that targets American citizens?

7th Amendment - Common Law Suits - NA

This system has been regulated and beaten to death by both parties to maintain Federal Supremacy.

8th Amendment - Cruel and Unusual Punishment - Conservatives
Conservatives support torture of terror suspects

Again, why is Gitmo still open? Why do we continue the extraordinary rendition program? Why does the CIA still operate prison ships in international waters? Why does Obama have that pesky assassination program?

9th Amendment - Non-enumerated rights - Both
Conservatives don't want gays in the military or married
Liberals want to legislate what we consume (salt in processed foods)

You could switch those roles when you see what these positions are really about. "Conservatives" found a way to make money from banning gays from serving their country and "liberals" found a way to make money from banning salt..

10th Amendment - States' rights - Both
Liberals don't want Arizona's 'show your papers' law
Conservatives don't want 'Death with Dignity' laws

Neither side understand the concept of States Rights and argue this issue outside of Constitutional constraints preferring to focus on political dogma instead.

I could go much further down the list....But this is where yours ended.

edit on 18-12-2010 by projectvxn because: searching for a differentiating color that wouldn't hurt the eyes.

edit on 18-12-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
BH - A seriously great posting, My compliments - well thought and communicated!

Past few years as I've tried to explain this very subject to those I know on both extremes,

I say its like a circle. At the top it says "Freedom", At the bottom it says "Tyranny" on the left it says "Liberal, on the right it says "Conservative", Chaos is labeled at 5:00 and 7:00 either side of "Tyranny".

I am attempting to give them a visual that demonstrates just what you are posting about, if you are so extreme left or right both will result in chaos and then tyranny - yes both extremes are just two sides of the same coin!

At the top where both meld together is where "Freedom" is found on my circle.

I have had mostly good response's when explaining this way to people who seem very entrenched but the visual gets them to really thinking out of their box.

Just wanted to pass this along. Yes its broad and over simplifies but it also seems very effective in face to face talks.

Phoenix

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Just conservatives?

Hi project. My examples weren't complete listings, they were just examples to show a point. I wasn't trying to blame one side or the other. Truth be told, there are conservatives that would LOVE to take our guns away, too, to remove any power we have left, but I didn't list them. I was just listing the obvious and generalized positions.

Thank you for your input.

Originally posted by Phoenix
BH - A seriously great posting, My compliments - well thought and communicated!

Thanks, Phoenix. I've been wanting to post this here for a long time. People always talk about both sides being the same, but many say that liberals want to take away our rights and they forget about the rights that conservatives don't want us to have.

edit on 12/19/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Great thread and a subject I have tried to tell folks for years........its all a shell game with them keeping our attention on the Dem cup and the Rep cup while the pea..the real agenda ....is under another

top topics

<< 1   >>

join