It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make Religious Organizations Declare Income

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

This is not an anti-religion post although many will choose to see it that way.

I will say up front that YES, I am personally against organised religion and firmly believe that the Roman Catholic Church is the most evil corporation on the planet (and always has been). I am, as many will know, an agnostic, however although I do disagree with believer's I also respect thier right as sentient beings to believe in whatever makes sense to them.

I am not suggesting that religous organizations have to pay tax, but they should be forced to declare how much money they take in from thier parish.

Read on to find out why...

My local newspaper ran a half page story yesterday about the Cathedral in my city. The story was concerning the need for 8 million dollars worth of renovations (on top of 4ish million that ws spent a couple years ago). The piece went on to say that this one building was not unique, half of the 37 Catholic churches in the city and surrounding area need millions of dollars worth of work.

The Archbishop had quite a statement about how they were worried about the future because they didn't have the money to fix the cathedral, let alone any of the other buildings:

"We had considered fund raising, but the consultant group we hired has advised us that people are donation-weary...the local businesses, when asked, indicated a level of support far below what we will require.

It is sad to think that many of these churches will end up being closed as a result. As for the Cathedral, we'll probably have to tear it down if we cannot find the money for the repairs.
"

(I bet you can see where this is going now)

On my way home from work this morning I noticed that there was a sign in front of one of the Anglican churches. The sign indicated that the renovations being done to this religious group's building were being paid in part by the federal government's stimulous plan (here in Canada the stimulous didn't go to the banks, it went towards education, infrastructure and tax credits for home owners to make thier homes more efficient).

WTF?

(Anglican church first...)

I have no real problem with the church recieving a grant if it met the requirements, HOWEVER my city just condemned a high school and is trying to find a way to pay for a replacement building.

The Anglican church, like all others, has a collection plate every time they hold mass, why is it that they cannot spend thier own money to renovate thier own building?

Why are taxpayer dollars being given to a private organisation when there are PUBLIC buildings that are in dire need of those funds?

(Now to the R.C.C....)

I am completely disgusted by the entire article.

Firstly the Archbishop states that they cannot ask for donations and as a result they will likely tear down a new-gothic style 171 year old stone building. This strikes me as a blatant blackmial piece against the Catholics in the area AND against the city as a whole.

The Archbishop can't ask anyone one for money, but he can talk about how sad it will be to lose such a landmark for the city in a half page story in Friday's paper (Friday is the day the local TV guide is published for the next week, it covers all the events happening over the weekend ETC...it is the one day's paper that most people will buy based on what is included).

The city is going to lose it's cathedral?

Not likely.

I bet both the mayor and local Catholics line up in droves with thier checkbooks open and ready to save this historic landmark.

Actually, I guarentee it.

My point for this post?

How much money does the RCC accept from the people in my city, my province, all of Canada and the entire world as a whole?

The RCC takes in BILLIONS of dollars, but it is too broke to pay for BASIC maintainence on it's properties?

Please tell me how this is possible.

How can they take all of this money in, NOT pay taxes (in addition to receiving charity status from utilities) and then REFUSE to spend a dime out of thier treasury to take care of thier own properties? Furthermore, how is it that they allow thier buildings important monuments in the center of a city (an Archbishop's words) to degrade to the point that they are possibly unsafe to use?

I may not agree with organized religion, but I truely feel sorry for those faithful believers who are going to line up to donate everything they have to save this building (and likely all the others too).

Churches can retain the tax free status, that's not the issue for me, but I think it's time for religions to file earning statements. I think the people who fund these organizations have a right to know EXACTLY how much money is being taken in and what is being done with that money.

Otherwise I have to scream scam.

edit on 27-11-2010 by [davinci] because: Form & Content

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
it's simply none of anyones business. I dont think it really matters.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

I think all non-profit organizations should have to pay taxes. They reap the same city services as for profit organizations. I agree, they should be required to make their received donations and public expenditures available to the general public. Some of these organizations are sitting on a wealth of charitable donations, yet they can reap the same government services as those that do pay taxes. Cities across the country are losing their tax base because of these organizations and expanding government welfare housing. The average worker has to pick up the slack and see their taxes increase year after year. We have hospitals that are considered non-profit organizations, yet they're constructing new facilities every year!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesk8s247

None of anyone's business?

Every other tax-free organization or charity has to make these records available.

Are you honestly going to say that you are ok with making a donation every week, and then having to make another donation to pay for maintainence that should already be paid for?

Where does your money go my friend?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

my church has a specific amount of money it needs to reach each week. They are currently helping out a Catholic School and are having huge budget cuts. Like we no longer have an organ, so there is no gospel or anything. There is no evil empire here helping out.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesk8s247

That's my point actually.

Money comes into your church but there is none that stays FOR the church.

Concerning the school...I do not know your situation, but here when the government pulled financing for church run schools the church closed them. The education of young minds was only important when someone else was footing the bill.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I agree. They might as well make give religion shareholders with all the profit they reap in. Most of goes to fixing churches but who knows how much goes into helping people?

Initially churches were used to help the needy, but somewhere along the lines we turned them into a place to reap in the rewards rather than giving them.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I vote that we expand this to more than just religious organizations and make it all not-for-profit organizations. Whether or not we let religious organizations stay tax-free is something I'm on the fence about.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Every church I have been to offer the year-end financial reports to anyone who inquires of one.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Concerning the school...I do not know your situation, but here when the government pulled financing for church run schools the church closed them. The education of young minds was only important when someone else was footing the bill.

Not necessarily, the national average for tithe-paying churchgoers is around 9%. I'd imagine that without financial help it would be impossible to do for most churches.

new topics

top topics

join