It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists find ancient swimming pool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

JERUSALEM — While excavating the site for a planned new ritual bath for Jews in Jerusalem, Israeli archaeologists uncovered a pool belonging to the Roman legion that sacked the city nearly 2,000 years ago. The discovery announced Monday sheds a rare light on the city the Romans built after destroying the second Jewish Temple in 70 A.D. and expelling the Jews from Jerusalem following their revolt.

I was listening to a radio show today discussing a special type of menorah discovered in this location that was significant to the radio host. It was a fairly recent discovery and I am hoping by posting the story someone might come and tell me more about the significance of this discovery. www.dispatch.co.za...

The bathhouse tiles, stamped with the symbols “LEG X FR” – Tenth Legion Fretensis – were found in place and the paw print of a dog which probably belonged to one of the soldiers was impressed on the symbol of the legion on one of the roof tiles.
gmtennis.co.cc...

The archaeologists found a trail that leads to the pool floor mosaic white and terracotta floor tiles with hundreds of names of the most famous Roman unity, which is the Tenth Legion, the Tenth Legion allegedly as troops build ponds. Sion to mention that the site is part of a larger complex in which thousands of ordinary soldiers washed rituals there.
Oldest Synagogues in the World Foundbiblicalpaths.wordpress.com...

A synagogue from the Second Temple period (50 BCE-100 CE) was exposed in archaeological excavations the Israel Antiquities Authority is conducting at a site slated for the construction of a hotel on Migdal beach, in an area owned by the Ark New Gate Company. In the middle of the synagogue is a stone that is engraved with a seven-branched menorah (candelabrum), the likes of which have never been seen.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
great find, I hope someone can tell us more about this.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I wonder if any Skate Boarders will try to ride it :-)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This sounds like a pool of PP, sweat and bacteria to me. If they don't discover ancient chlorine, that has to be the most disgusting thing I ever heard.
edit on 25-11-2010 by mvirata because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well... what would you like to know?

Bath houses like this were part of the Roman culture, and swimming pools weren't unknown. Romans were pretty fanatical about some aspects of personal hygiene. They were sort of like today's spas. They had both hot and cold rooms and had slaves to attend to your every need, including procuring someone of appropriate gender and age (yes, really) for your pleasure.

This might be a balnea rather than a thermae :
en.wikipedia.org...

More about them here, including a reproduction:
www.vroma.org...

And the "Time Team" did a section on them. I'm not sure how good or accurate TT is (don't watch it) but info is here:
www.channel4.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Stone carving found at Migdal, Israel

I believe this is the Menorah carving found at the Migdal site. The Menorah appears similar to later creations. It seems to be lacking the blossoms on its branches. I would assume the artist couldn’t fit that kind of detail on his work. The rest of the carving is very interesting. I think it represents the Ark of the Covenant. The two palm trees match up to the description in 1 Kings 6. The bible describes them all over the walls but here they only show two. I think the six sided flower represents the glory over the Ark and the two hearts represent the two Cherubs sitting on the lid. There are two more hearts on the top which could represent the two large standing Cherubs that stood on either side of the Ark in the Most Holy chamber. Cherubs are sometimes confused with Cupids which represent love in fairy tale. I wonder if some cultures were afraid to draw angels so they replaced them with the heart symbol?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by hybridkate

Thanks! I thought so...Byrd has some answers here in the thread. And the poster above this offers a much better picture in his/her link. I think it is interesting a menorah has 7 candles and the number 7 is so significant to humans on this planet. Even 7 notes on a scale if you count both "doe's" as one. 7 days of the week...etc.

I am working on a theory we are known as 7 and other planets, where there are only 3 notes and 3 days a week are known as 3 and there are those whose distance from their sun may be 12 and there are 12 days in their weeks and 12 candles in their menorah. It is strange I know but once you examine the significance of 7 we see it is important and almost an identifying factor.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Originally posted by hybridkate

I am working on a theory we are known as 7 and other planets, where there are only 3 notes and 3 days a week are known as 3 and there are those whose distance from their sun may be 12 and there are 12 days in their weeks and 12 candles in their menorah. It is strange I know but once you examine the significance of 7 we see it is important and almost an identifying factor.

I have also come to the conclusion that the number 7 has a secret to unlock. The importance of the number seven was first highlighted in the bible book of Genesis. The seventh rest day was made holy after the first six creative days. The creative days were separated in a simplistic way indicating the division of seven may have been conceived even before the earth's formation for habitation. I am of the opinion that the Sol System was originally a seven planet star system, meaning the primary planets that had a thick atmosphere were the primary bodies. These include Venus, Earth (before its atmosphere was thinned out), Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and a large gas giant that is now missing. I would place this large planet where the asteroid belt is located. The belt is located between Mars and Jupiter. I didn't mention Mars as being one of the primary planets because it does not have a thick atmosphere. I believe Mars was a moon of the lost gas giant. I imagine Mars being similar in nature to the moon called Titan, which orbits Saturn. Titan has some atmosphere and I believe Mars had a greater amount than it currently has. Mars has a big rip in its mid section as if it experienced a great shock wave. I see Mercury as a former moon of Venus. Mercury and our moon look similar in nature as well. All the asteroids and comets in the solar system are remains of the lost planet.

What would happen to the outer gas of Jupiter if the planet's core fell to pieces?
Would the unpressurized gas become a solid and form into icy comets as it blew out into space?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

While your at it a few questions.True or false much retro 1st. Century originals and others exist between Galilee and Judaea and their subject matter is witnessing Christ's ministry and 1st. century after His Crucifixtion and Resurrection?Something else I've been unofficially told is that Telepathy did not become a consistently utilized human tool until the 4th. century.That would make every known storage of any precious papyrus or animal skin documents before the 4th. century merely word of mouth.It's important because whatever remains and that can be originals or copies of them were either not known or known and kept secret.Modern archeology seems reliant on very inspired research gathered via even telepathy and or knowledge of past underground storage areas though one would think if the holders truly antithetic to Christian and New Testament archeology they simply would have destroyed the evidence and what would be left would only be unknown and waiting to be unearthed.Yes I know that God's intervention would make moot any antithesis yet it seems obvious that 1st. Century and New Testament archeology is rarely the priority.Actually from the Discovery channel presentations I've seen it seems obvious that only those who have a detatched historical perspective concerning Christ and or have a near bizarre obligatorily skeptical irrelevant attitude are indulged as far as granted archeology somwhat unlimited and actually can run amuck Jerusalem yet only with those pre conditions.It's been beyond suggested that Ron Wyatt's persistent and rarely inspired efforts made witnessing Israel authorities become precautionary for the suggested litmus that what could be revealed would cause a backlash of bitterness concerning 1st. Century Providential occurance.Regardless of spiritual denominations why can't 21st. century International society including Israel trust that such findings and their discernment would cause escalated bickering instead of inspiration.Wouldn't it be more likely to inspire then the bickering that invariably occurs intersectingly between Middle Eastern Muslims and the occasional Gaza flare ups.Would it be any more potentially turbulent?What I'm mentioning is that everything other than New Testament perspective archeology seems sponsored.The age requires a Ron Wyatt equivalent and God would surely provide except this time humanity will protect that individual from the demons of anti inspiration.Take care and God bless the blessed!Absolutely no twisted parallels!Absolutely straight forward!Gary V. Giardina!This sent before 8:41 P.M. Decmber 2nd. 2010.What I've spoken does not express disrespect for Judaism and or Islam.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
And the "Time Team" did a section on them. I'm not sure how good or accurate TT is (don't watch it) ...

My understanding is that they do a good job...but they leave a mess behind!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Very interesting comments. Some a little out of my depth. Beyond my knowledge so I cannot respond but, I wonder about this revelation...

The bathhouse tiles, stamped with the symbols “LEG X FR” – Tenth Legion Fretensis – were found in place and the paw print of a dog which probably belonged to one of the soldiers was impressed on the symbol of the legion on one of the roof tiles.

This paw print would have represented a huge sacrilege if this were a "religious" site. I think they would have mortared over it. I am wondering- was it intentional, an accident or possibly a "joke" as is claimed. But can you imagine that? A joke?

new topics

top topics

join