It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Windows 0-day exploit speaks chinese

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

New Windows 0-day exploit speaks chinese

forums.cnet.com

Yesterday another serious 0-day flaw has been publically disclosed on a chinese board.

This is a serious flaw because it resides in win32k.sys, the kernel mode part of the Windows subsystem. It is a privilege escalation exploit which allows even limited user accounts to execute arbitrary code in kernel mode.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Well this is great timing... Just in time for the holiday

It goes on to say...

Being a privilege escalation exploit, it bypasses by design even the protection given by the User Account Control technology implemented in Windows Vista and Windows 7. All Windows XP/Vista/7 both 32 and 64 bit are vulnerable to this attack. 

I wonder who at Microsoft isn't getting turkey this year?

forums.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

really that's what it does wow. awesome thanks for the info i got a report on viruses coming up and we just learned about shell and kernel mode in the software A+ class. What about unix or linux systems i might switch just in case. I know most hacker use linux os and would not try to infect their own system
edit on 25-11-2010 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I'm running x64bit Windows 7. What do I do?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

I'm running x64bit Windows 7. What do I do?

You stay on top of this and pray for a patch to be released soon... Until then revert to a non-MS platform if you can. As a Zero day, it is possible this has been in the wild already, though even if it weren't you can believe worms are being updated with this exploit now... Especially in China

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

hahaha i cant believe you put on deltron 3030 lol man you are way cool i only know of a handful of friends who know that song.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

hahaha i cant believe you put on deltron 3030 lol man you are way cool i only know of a handful of friends who know that song.

some of dan nakamura's best production is on that and Kool Keith's Dr. Octagon.

as for this thread, I major in game design and am a self-employed computer repairman and consultant and this scares the crap out of me. I know the US has some of the finest computer science techs working for them, have we gone on the offensive or do they still have us by the nards enough to just patch this problem and ignore its origin?

Black Hat Hackers (actual code writers, not people using someone else's program) are the scum at the bottom of the genius bin. People like this have bricked thousands of dollars of equipment all in the name of a good laugh or even worse because they think they're doing something good.

it's literally comic book villainy.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by piddles

You are right.... Beautiful stuff... Still no word on a patch for the sploit

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles

Black Hat Hackers (actual code writers, not people using someone else's program) are the scum at the bottom of the genius bin. People like this have bricked thousands of dollars of equipment all in the name of a good laugh or even worse because they think they're doing something good.

You won't be saying this when the black hatters are the ones defending the internet from government control while also discovering and exploiting aspects of the holes in their control allowing a free internet to continue.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
"win32k.sys" ??? then it is getting past the file structure security slice set-up.

top topics

join