It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US cracks down on fake pot as public health hazard

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TSAisaSCAM

trust me. Its not "incense". Its being used as the producers meant it to be. The lable is nothing more than the TOS (terms of service) to stop people from being held liable for something they know it's being used for. You wouldnt put chemicals that make you high in something used as incense unless you mean for people to use it to get high off of. Otherwise they wouldnt go through the trouble of spraying anything on it that has no use or smell. When ya burn it, the stuff stinks so it's definatly not for that purpose.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

It seems you have a handle on it. I agree we all like to escape now and again. You seemed to have found a happy medium, where your arms don't go numb or have to the hospital all freaked out. Pot is legal through a script here in Cali, but pee positive and bye bye career. We missed the vote by 470,000.

You may have missed these, so
On page 1 "Chaos magician" where he knows about some toxicity they add to the leaves.
Also page 1 is "Mwood" who's son had seizures over smoking spice.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Me's a she.

As for it supposedly being incense, what kinda person would pay 15 bucks for ONE GRAM of incense?

yeah, I'd say everyone knows this is meant to be smoked.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

Originally posted by Tribble
reply to post by rangerdanger

Unbelievable, but I believe you! Soldiers on a body high, that can't be good for operations. I wonder if it's allowed to be smoked openly.

NO! It's illegal to do such things with any substance that makes you feel high. There is a big no no on the package that tells you "Not for human consumption" and some that tells you that you should not burn it as regular incence either.

OK, if not for human consumption and not incense either. What the heck do they say it's to be used as?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by rangerdanger

The ban is in effect in several country's already, and 15 US states. I have never tried K2 or Spice, due to some research I did after reading a thread here on ATS. I have to admit that his time I agree with the DEA's decision.

If you have tried this stuff, I would like to hear your experience.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I've done quite a bit of it actually. Well, I did it about a year ago.
It's not really anything special, just kind of a body high. Unfortunately that stuff is extremely popular in the military. A friend of mine in the Navy said about 50% of sailors smoke spice. That might be an exaggeration, but I think it needs to be banned. That stuff is far more dangerous that what it's trying to replace.

What this law is referring to mainly is the stuff being sold as k2... The honest to god synthetic thc created at Clemson university.

Thing is.... Pure thc is never good for you.... There are so many other cnbs in the plant, that it's a completely different experience

edit on 25-11-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

I dunno if I have the "handle" on anything

If Pot = Beer then Spice and K2 = Everclear
If you drink too much of that stuff, you will get sick and possibly end up in the hospital. The only time my arms got rubbery and useless was once and it was only from 2 puffs. But as I mentioned, I feel that I was just unlucky enough to get alot of potency in those 2 hits. I dont think it's really wise to do it as you never know what you're gonna get and how much you're gonna get in one pull. I just feel that if that were to happen again to me, I would do as I did the first time.. Kick back, relax, dont get jumpy and let it pass. After a few minutes it will. As all things, not everyone is built the same. Some people can handle their alchohol better than others. I would hope that no one overdoes it but thats not something anyone can really control. For me, I dont think it's a problem but for some's sake, it could be very bad. Over all, I feel it's the governments responcibility to protect us, and by making pot illegal, they're not doing that. They're opening us up to potentually more harmful stuff as in this case. As I'm almost 40, I've used such things because I enjoy the creativity and deeper thought from it. Some could say it's just recreation but so is anything else. If something else occupies that time and place for me, then thats where I am. If not... I hate being bored
Im the kinda person that hates to sleep because I feel like I'm wasting time doing it. But not everyone is as myself and everyone has their reasons for whatever. I feel that if folx do things with their own safety in mind, then there shouldnt be any problems, but I cant speak for everyone. People will do the next big thrill because everyone is naturally curious. People who dont smoke just use their curiosity in other ways.

Advice... If you are a smoker and you want to try something diffrent, be my guest. I wont look down on anyone for it. But if you can smoke without problems, stick to the real deal. Dont try something you dunno about without at least looking into it further and dont load a bowl full of something without "tasting" it first to know what it will do to you. And DONT drink with this stuff, as one poster put it... It will make you feel as though you went on a benge drinking fit and your body will react the same. No one should ever mix subtances for any reason anyways, that would be asking for trouble.

Btw I did read everyones points. Personaly I dont feel thats an issue, as I mentioned, not everyone is made the same. I have a friend who can't drink because it crystalizes his joints and causes serious reactions in his body. Pot causes some people to just simply pass out. Booze causes some people to dance naked on tables. I can believe that those things happen but probably less and no more than booze does in masse. If I had a reaction to it, then that would push me to stop. I cant eat shrimp much cause it causes my tongue to swell. But I do it anyways cause I love it. I just keep a bottle of antihistimine around just in case

But I would never tell or push someone to do what I do cause what I think is ok for me isnt always ok for someone else and I dont want that on my mind/heart. As far as the other post dealing with the chemical, well, I still hold firm on my own. I dont feel side effects nor see any and I've been smoking it for a good lil while now. Not exclusivly though, but I still do none the less.
edit on 25-11-2010 by theRhenn because: added last segment

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Yeah, they say that it's incense on the package so if you're caught with it, you can pull the ignorance card, but it is def NOT incense. You would know if you smelled that stuff when it was burned. You def dont want your room smelling like that. Plus, that stuff won't just burn if you light it, you have to smoke it to keep it lit.

Not to give anyone any ideas, but Has anyone evr tried brownies? One of my friends discovered that spice can be used in brownies, kind of like pot. We had a phase over one summer where we would make batches and batches of brownies. This gave our lungs a break, but the high was much more intense and lasted much much longer. When smoking spice, the high lasts an hour max i would say. when you eat this stuff, you stay high for hours. The entire next day i was passed out. I remember waking up every once in a while but i was too tired to even lift up my head and check the time. I would open my eyes for a couple seconds, then pass out again. I basically slept for 24 hours straight.
Now that I've read up on the side effects, I think eating it would have been much worse on my liver. It must have stayed in my system for much much longer as well.
I did try making brownies with another one of the blends, genie, but i just wasted the entire pack because it didnt work. Probably used some chemical that evaporated when i cooked it or something?
Altho spice didnt have to be prepared to yield the effects. My friends made nutella toast and just sprinkled some spice on top and they said it worked out fine.
Anyway, i wouldn't recommend eating this stuff, let alone smoking it. Makes you lazy as hell and probably has stronger negative effects on your body

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

reply to post by rangerdanger

Unbelievable, but I believe you! Soldiers on a body high, that can't be good for operations. I wonder if it's allowed to be smoked openly.

NO! It's illegal to do such things with any substance that makes you feel high. There is a big no no on the package that tells you "Not for human consumption" and some that tells you that you should not burn it as regular incence either.

OK, if not for human consumption and not incense either. What the heck do they say it's to be used as?

Supposedly aroma only. It does smell fruity or whatever, depending on what flavor you guy. Blueberry, cotton candy, ect ect. Dont have to burn it to smel it, just open the pack. Its very strong. But yeah, thats just the sleezy way of getting it put on shelves is all.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
oooo... I want to try pot brownies. I never have because I can't bear to risk that much weed... oh, but if I had a little extra cash to experiment.

edit on 25-11-2010 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bulletproof_monk
reply to post by Tribble

Well, the bad experiences were a few from many experiences with this blend. I experiemented with spice for asome time because it took a couple years for it to get banned, and was in the beginning of when i started experimenting with drugs and herbal blends. Im not saying that All my experiences with this stuff were bad. The majority of them were completely fine. It makes you feel nice and relaxed, but in the long run you can def feel the effects. It also does some heavy damage on your lungs. I was on the cross country and wrestling teams at the time, and you can def feel that damage when you start running or wrestling.
And the question youre asking is like asking someone why they still drink after being hungover. It only really happens when you over do it, or mix it with alcohol. Plus in the article it said that some people became dependent on these blends? I don't think they were addictive, but its hard to tell. Many of my friends that have smoked spice or the other blends dont smoke the manufactured stuff anymore, but still smoke pot frequently or even daily. I dont know if this could be why, but if they built a chemical dependency to spice or one of the other herbal blends maybe this is why they smoke pot a lot? maybe the dependency makes it harder for them to get off pot? OR maybe they are just huge stoners. hahaha. I guess we'll never know

I thank you for the inside info. I know lots of stoners and not one smokes this stuff, so I am still a little baffled on why people risk it. It seems to be very unpredictable.

I feel a bit like my grandpa did when I handed him a Bic lighter to light his pipe. He pushed down the red button a couple times, then handed it back "It's out of lighter fluid" he said. I had to explain how he needed to roll the wheel first. He got up to find some matches lol

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
LOL Sounds like the oldtimers from my family as well.

ChaosMagician IMO you're not missing anything. It makes you tired and it's a waste. Doesnt have the same effect, to me anyways. Besides, the oil always made me wake up at night wanting to puke my guts up lol. Dont bother wasting your time. Especially if you dont want your whole house smelling like a pot factory.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

Haha well shrooms are unpredictable, but people still do them. I mean some people have bad trips, and they still take shrooms. I guess its the same thing with herbal blends, except not as extreme. I've knwon a lot of people who have smoked that stuff, and no one has been seriously hurt from taking it. Sometimes people have bad experiences with it, and they never try the stuff again, others still go back to it. I haven't had a really bad experience with it where i thought i was going to die, but ya, after trying the newer, stronger stuff i realised that it messes with your head and sometimes gives you crzy thoughts, so i decided that I wasn't going to do it anymore, at least not the way that I had been doing it, which was pretty much on a daily basis. Its been over a year since i tried those blends, and after reading the article you posted i dont think ill ever try any of that crap again.
Thanks for bringing the article to my attention btw. I shared it with all my friends that have experiemented with it over facebook. haha

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

I know shrooms have different effects, but not life threatening seizures.
I found this video about the problems and it makes sense to me

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

Yeah i get what youre saying, but, the way you're looking at it is different from the way that I see it. I know you're saying that if something causes seizures, then people shouldn't be doing it. I completely agree with you there, but like I said, when I first tried experimenting with these types of blends, there was no scientific research done on the side effects. These herbal blends are still fairly new, they've only been around for about 5 years now, and all the info that you've posted is from the past couple months or so.
When i first found and began using these blends, i did try and search for side effects of the drugs, and came up with no results. If i had come across the article that you posted, i probably wouldn't have tried it, but at the time there was no infromation out there.
Thanks for posting the video. Like the guy said on the clip, when used with the right doses, it can help strengthen your immune system and help with appetite for cancer patients. The problem is, that people don't know what the right doses are for their body size, plus the strength of the blends vary per pack/ type of blend. The guy also says that the amount of chemicals sprayed on the blends is not constant, so one pack could be much stronger than the other. This is just like any other drug out there, if you take too much, then you will start too feel sick/anxious.
There are a few cases of people committing suicide from shroom trips or ODing, but that doesn't stop many people from trying them does it? Its the same deal with these blends. There are a few people that have negative reactions to the drug, but I'm sure it was partly their fault. They probably smoked too much, when they didn't know their limits. People also know that there are some risks involved when it comes to drugs. You have to be smart about it. You should test it out in little doses first, then see how your body reacts to it.
Now im not saying that It was all their fault, they didn't have any sources of info on these blends and their side effects. It is mostly the companies that made this stuff. They should have done research on it to see if it was safe, and at least have put a warning label on it. I remember when spice first came out they did list all the herbs that were in the blend, but now all the new blends have nothing printed on the package except for the name of course.
There are very few cases of things like seizures and things like that happening from smoking these blends. Like i said in my earlier post, those blends were pretty popular here in Japan, and i personally knew around 20 or so people who have tried these blends, and I never heard a single story of someone ODing or having a seizure. If there was such a case, I'm sure a lot of people would have gotten off the stuff.
So i understand your viewpoint, but you have all the information on the side effects of these things. Almost everyone that has tried this stuff knew nothing about it, and couldn't find out anything about through research. Now that it is getting attention in the media, more people will get informed and will make smarter decisions because they have the knowledge on this subject. They will also know that they are taking a big risk if they do decide to smoke this stuff anyway.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

I think it is crazy that now there is talk that no ban might take place after all, why is this stuff even around? Because the US government won't let pot be legal, my theory is that if you allow the use of marijuana then a lot of hard drug users will stop using the meth, coc aine and opium products that are pumped in from various countries, the backlash of those countries losing so much income would be too much to bear, so as long as pot is illegal, people who WOULD quit using the harder stuff, will continue to do so. In the meantime crapola like this fake weed will keep popping up.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I think you got that right. I see that's whats been happening in Japan, how they change ingredients and the name, only to sell on and on. I am unable to find sales figures of stats on the adverse effects. I believe most people who get admitted to the hospital omit that they used the stuff.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

You covered a lot of ground with that comment. I can only add this to it-

I think if it were regulated to any degree at all, the potency would be at least consistent. In popping around You tube I saw people smoking blunts and bong hits of it. I would have to think those were not from "the bottom of the bag" as it's more potent.

Here is a different article with a video

TextDENVER (CBS4) ― [Click to zoom.] Click to enlarge 1 of 1 "Spice" is a synthetic, legal form of marijuana labeled "not for human consumption," but young people are smoking it to get high. CBS Close numSlides of totalImages It's already banned in 16 states. In 30 days, products sold as synthetic marijuana will be illegal nationwide. The Drug Enforcement Agency said it is temporarily banning five chemicals used to make the drug, also known as "Spice," "K2," or "Mamba." The high is compared to marijuana, except "It doesn't show up on your urine analysis, so you don't f-up on your job or anything," said one user on hidden camera. Spice is sold over the counter at tobacco and head shops, and some convenience stores. The DEA filed an emergency ban. In 30 days, it will be illegal to posses, sell or manufacture Spice. The push comes after an increased amount of reports from poison control and emergency rooms regarding the products. "I just get very disgusted just looking at it, 'cause I know what it's doing to the kids. It's harmful to their bodies," said Stella Rivera, a mother who has experience with the adverse side effects. Her son ended up in the hospital after smoking spice. "He was just holding his head. He had a bad headache, he couldn't stand it," said Rivera. Spice is marketed as incense, but it is sprayed with chemicals that mimic the effect of marijuana. "What they're not telling the people using it that they are putting these chemicals on the herbs," said DEA agent Kevin Merrill. Because it's not regulated, every container differs in strength and effects. Special agents said Spice is 800 times more potent than THC, the chemical found in marijuana. The ban will make possessing and selling Spice illegal for at least one year. The DEA will use the time to study whether these chemicals and products should be banned permanently.

cbs4denver.com...
edit on 26-11-2010 by Tribble because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join