It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oh-So-Many Types of UFO thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
(sorry if thishas been posted before mods. Please close and link where)

Snippet of Article:

A telling factor in this is the “standardization” of UFO occupants since the late 1970s. No longer do we hear about beer-can shaped robots, humanoids in spacesuits, or hairy dwarves. Actually, these reports may be out there, but the researchers (especially of the American sort) are most likely blocking out the stories that don’t conform to the big-headed, bug-eyed variety. Literalists and ETH-believers may counter that this is because all those other alien races lost interest or were pushed aside by the “grays” long ago.

Types of UFOs over the years

I find this interesting. It shows how many different shapes and sizes and UFOs we have "claimed" to see over the many years. Of course they all have the basic 'UFO-contour', but the winged cigar and winged cylinder are interesting. Especially since they remind me of the European photo depicting a War in the Skies with multiple UFOs.

Your interpretations/comments are welcome.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Well, it seems it can kind of go against the grain here to suggest something other than the ETH, but the evidence finally won me over a little while back.

I don't totally discount extra-terrestials, I just think we are dealing with something much more present, immediate, and disturbing than visitors from other planets. Something that has been with us since recorded history at least.

If you've never read this list of quotes before, it makes a compelling case to at least do more investigation into the basic hypothesis.

A few examples following with many more quotes at the Source. S&F.

"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terrence McKenna [from a lecture]

"One theory which can no longer be taken very seriously is that UFOs are interstellar spaceships."
- Arthur C. Clarke, New York Times Book Review, 07/27/75

"There seems to be no evidence yet that any of these craft or beings originate from outer space."
-Gordon Creighton, Official 1992 Flying Saucer Review Policy Statement

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
(sorry if thishas been posted before mods. Please close and link where)

Snippet of Article:

A telling factor in this is the “standardization” of UFO occupants since the late 1970s. No longer do we hear about beer-can shaped robots, humanoids in spacesuits, or hairy dwarves. Actually, these reports may be out there, but the researchers (especially of the American sort) are most likely blocking out the stories that don’t conform to the big-headed, bug-eyed variety. Literalists and ETH-believers may counter that this is because all those other alien races lost interest or were pushed aside by the “grays” long ago.

(snip)

I find this interesting. It shows how many different shapes and sizes and UFOs we have "claimed" to see over the many years. Of course they all have the basic 'UFO-contour', but the winged cigar and winged cylinder are interesting. Especially since they remind me of the European photo depicting a War in the Skies with multiple UFOs.

Your interpretations/comments are welcome.

I don't understand the intent of your thread. The title says "...Many Types of UFO..." but your post contains a snippet about UFO occupants and then underneath you talk about the different shapes and sizes of UFOs. Which is it, occupants or UFOs?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Yes, I remembrer researching the theories that UFOs could be demons, or demons could be aliens. Both are plausible, with all the evidence. Have you ever heard of the diaries from the Black Plague era that some wrote that they saw little black monster with cloaks and scythe looking devices outside the town, RIGHT before the plague would hit the town? That's a good read.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

Have you......clicked the link? I am talking about the many different UFOs they talk about in the article. The snippet was a random snippet.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Have you......clicked the link? I am talking about the many different UFOs they talk about in the article. The snippet was a random snippet.

Yes, I read the report. The main thing that one gets is that UFOs were/are/will be an unexplainable mystery. One can forget about the UFOs created by Adamski and his ilk in the 1950s and concentrate strictly on what's been photographed/filmed/video'ed once the hoaxes are identified.

The website says: "We hate making assumptions here on Ufomystic, but one would think that standardization would be in order to make things easier, especially if these things are coming from many light years away to take a look at us."

I think UFOs are enough of a problem without the added baggage of thinking that UFOs come from many light years away. There is no evidence of that, it is only a romantic notion accepted by most but other theories are easier to accept such as inter-dimensions.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I like how UFO's have generally followed mainstream science fiction. Like the typical 50's type saucers evolved into 60's type UFO's, which evolved into....well, you get the idea.

I wonder why the popular shape of UFO's seems to follow pop-culture so much???? Must be those trendy aliens I guess. I mean, it couldn't be over-impressionable witnesses, could it?
edit on 24-11-2010 by IgnoreTheFacts because: sppeellling

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

It could be due to formalization of culture, perhaps they assume forms people want them to.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I find this interesting. It shows how many different shapes and sizes and UFOs we have "claimed" to see over the many years. Of course they all have the basic 'UFO-contour', but the winged cigar and winged cylinder are interesting.

Mr10k, there's some other charts and links at the thread below citing all the different reported UFO shapes and whilst some do appear to be defined by their era, others don't and I can't see any correlation.

"They came up with a table of pictures of all the shapes of UFOs that have ever been recorded -about 50 ...The study of UFOs may reveal some new forms of energy to us,or at least bring us closer to a solution.

General Vasily Alexeyev
Russian Air Force -Space Communications Centre

UFO/OVNI Shapes

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Yes, I do not get the fact that we accept that UFOs come from light years away. They could be coming from right under our noses, right around the corner. I think it is because religion has shaped our minds to think like this. That could be controversial: " Religion was created for the sole purpose of distorting the agenda of UFOs". I guess all these conspiracies are just more tootsie pops in the bag. The world may never know.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
So, for those that accept that we are dealing with "something" much more present; doesn't the question become, "What are their intentions?"

And while there are some stories that seem to attribute benevolence to these "others," there seems to be alot of encounters with, at the very least, a cold & vaguely ominous flavor. Where once I would have welcomed them with open arms, now "they" just make me go hmmm.

However, if we take the contactees & abductees out of the picture, then the ETH becomes, again, more plausible. But can we exclude all these folk as either hoaxers or suffering from some kind of psychosis?

Two interesting articles here by John Keel & Phillip Coppens addressing both the UFO Meme & Contactees...with guest appearances by the CIA.

Confusing & dichotomously enlightening at the same time maybe? Through a scanner darkly...
edit on 24-11-2010 by The GUT because: paragraph break

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Same here, I feel the question of "Is something here" has been answered repeatedly, so now we need to focus on what they want. I'm sure its for research purposes. What would an advanced alien species want to wage war with us? If they were government ships, why wouldn't the government use them as spy planes and the like?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Yes, I do not get the fact that we accept that UFOs come from light years away. They could be coming from right under our noses, right around the corner. I think it is because religion has shaped our minds to think like this. That could be controversial: " Religion was created for the sole purpose of distorting the agenda of UFOs". I guess all these conspiracies are just more tootsie pops in the bag. The world may never know.

The notion that UFOs come from light years away was generated, IMO, from the fact that UFOs were/are always pictured in the air, hence travel. Since popular culture aided by Hollywood conditions every gullible person to think one way, then we have UFOs from afar. If, instead of UFOs in the air, we had beings materializing and dematerializing, it would then be assumed that they they originate in another dimension as it doesn't make sense that a being is going to whiz around the universe without a craft. Unless, the beings dematerialized and wherever they appeared they had crafts, that's another theory.

Religion has no connection to UFOs except what is now being popularized without substance. Religion only "shapes" (mental conditions) the conditioned to accept religious b.s. such as gods and jesuses.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike

The notion that UFOs come from light years away was generated, IMO, from the fact that UFOs were/are always pictured in the air, hence travel. Since popular culture aided by Hollywood conditions every gullible person to think one way, then we have UFOs from afar. If, instead of UFOs in the air, we had beings materializing and dematerializing, it would then be assumed that they they originate in another dimension as it doesn't make sense that a being is going to whiz around the universe without a craft. Unless, the beings dematerialized and wherever they appeared they had crafts, that's another theory.

Yes, I agree with you there. Various influences onto the gullible and feeble human mind have conditioned us to believe this way. I understand that the human race, as a whole, are dependant thinkers. Our conciousness (and I am not speaking metaphysically) hasn't developed to the point where we can have a civilization that functions on individual beliefs. I don't think humans will ever achieve that level of thinking. But still, yes, Hollywood and media have twisted simple sightings into a full-blown UFO culture. It is sad, when looked at from a wiew.

Religion has no connection to UFOs except what is now being popularized without substance. Religion only "shapes" (mental conditions) the conditioned to accept religious b.s. such as gods and jesuses.

Well, I do believe that there is a single 'force' that not only creates living beings but all matter. I consider this to be God. Basically, in my view, nature is God, because everything comes from nature. Still, stepping awat from the word "Religion" and for now, consider them as "Testimonies". They relate in the way that, both cannot be proven, yet they are plausible explanations. So you can think of Religion in a way being a sort of testimony that, "maybe I saw God" or "Gods this, God that", because they wouldn't have a way to explain it other than a deity preforming its works. What i want to know is where the term God, or High Ruling Being came from. And I don't mean from 10,000 years ago. Something must have happened to make people believe that there is a heaven, hell, or a being that that created all this. If you know anything that can help, that'd be appreciated, but I sort of agree with you on this one.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

(snip)
Something must have happened to make people believe that there is a heaven, hell, or a being that that created all this. If you know anything that can help, that'd be appreciated, but I sort of agree with you on this one.

Although I'm not an authority on antiquity, it's easy to see what happened to condition most humans to believe in god(s) and their "offsprings" (jesus for one). There were always take-over people, born leaders and people that needed to be led. The take-over people had nature on their side in the form of the mysterious nigh sky and in storms. So, if take-over person thought of using nature as a form of control by making the weaker minded ones that they controlled nature, then the weaker-minded ones saw the take-over people as some form of a god or someone with powers who must be obeyed. Eventually, a pantheon of gods was created and the take-over people associated themselves with their created alter-personalities

Heaven was above them because all you saw was the beauty of clouds, rainbows, etc., and hell was fire because of the lava spewing from the depths of the earth so hell was "down there".

I hope I wasn't too simplistic.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

edit on 25-11-2010 by mr10k because: double post

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike

(snip)
Something must have happened to make people believe that there is a heaven, hell, or a being that that created all this. If you know anything that can help, that'd be appreciated, but I sort of agree with you on this one.

Although I'm not an authority on antiquity, it's easy to see what happened to condition most humans to believe in god(s) and their "offsprings" (jesus for one). There were always take-over people, born leaders and people that needed to be led. The take-over people had nature on their side in the form of the mysterious nigh sky and in storms. So, if take-over person thought of using nature as a form of control by making the weaker minded ones that they controlled nature, then the weaker-minded ones saw the take-over people as some form of a god or someone with powers who must be obeyed. Eventually, a pantheon of gods was created and the take-over people associated themselves with their created alter-personalities

Heaven was above them because all you saw was the beauty of clouds, rainbows, etc., and hell was fire because of the lava spewing from the depths of the earth so hell was "down there".

I hope I wasn't too simplistic.

Not at all. Thanks for the explanation

new topics

top topics

join