It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

all forms of polygamy contribute to the discrimination of women and the sexualisation of young girls

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by megabyte

sorry but I do not consider moslem countries to be advanced - they dont even educate all the people in their countries.

What does this have to do with polygamy? Nothing.

I also find it funny that you're too busy touting our Western education to use the proper grammatical and punctuational taught at these self-proclaimed pristine educational facilities in which you have a better chance of getting shot than procuring the education required to start a good career.
edit on 28-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brood

sorry but I do not consider moslem countries to be advanced - they dont even educate all the people in their countries.

What does this have to do with polygamy? Nothing.

I also find it funny that you're too busy touting our Western education to use the proper grammatical and punctuational taught at these self-proclaimed pristine educational facilities in which you have a better chance of getting shot than procuring the education required to start a good career.

]

my apologies for typos as I have carpal tunnel syndrome.
I live in Australia and for the most part we dont have guns and so there is a lot less chance of anyone getting shot

The truth is that the education that we in Western countires get does give us an advanced standard of living even if you are not the one who are highly educated and contributing to that high standard of living.

countries where education is not given and women are denied education for example - dont have a standard of living as good we ours

yes there are criticisms and room for improvement and education by itself is not the full story

I am pointing out that high standard of living is in those countires that do not have polygamy as the dominant family organisation

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I live in Australia and for the most part we dont have guns

I live in Oz and I have guns!

In the old testament many of the kings and men had multiple wives as well as concubines!.

Only the other day Oprahwent to some breakaway mormon church somewhere in the US where they practise polygamy.

Sheinterviewed many of the teen girls up to 18 years of age in school - about just general things and bye and large they seemed to be very well educated about things that mattered and not so aware of thethings in this world that seem to lead away from God and aclean lived life.

I can't say i agreed with many of the doctrines for them -ike arranged marriages - they don;t get to fall in love and choose a husband - they get sent off with an aranged marriage.

far from what I expected (orgies etc) their lives seemed ot be very ordered, with not a lot of jealousy among the wives, in truth I found it hard to be critical of this sect.

Would i wish to live their life? No - but thats my freedom of choice.

Did I see anything intrinsically wrong with it?

Not really...however theres a caveat to that...

ONE of the men from the cult was in prison on charges of carnal knowledge for "marrying" in an arranged marriage a girl under 14 years of age.

Now as ageneralisation I don;t think thats a good thing for any kid,HOWEVER, we are kidding ourselves if we DON'T realise that there ARE girls in this world who illingly andknowlingly USE their sexuality to manipulate menspecifically to getwhat they want in life.

I recall within the group of friends that i hung out with as a lad - two girls (sisters) who "hooked up" with tow of the guys and one was 14 the other 16, and both were sexually active already.

One day we went somewhere (a factory that repaired cars) and one of the worlers there recognised the 2 sisters,and related howhe anda mate had been stranded at a flooded river crossing in the states north 2 years prior, for afew days and struck up "relationships with these two girls then aged 12 and 14 respectively!

Turns out tey were already sexually active back then as well!

So...these kids were from an "average family" to all intents and purposes, and not any part of any polygamous cult, yet they were both sexually active at 12 & 14 years so who knows how early they started?

While the LAW prescribes age of consent as 16 - just how does that one size fits all - suit ALL young women?

There are those who for whatever reason become active much younger.

Yes many of them end up involved with the law and carnal knowledge charges before theyreach 16 years of age.

Why then when these cults get such a girl and decide to "marry them early" for ther own reasonsisit an more heinous than the non cult girls who are putting it around for purely manipulative reasons at 12 or 14?

Like so many problemsin ur societys there doesn't appear to be black and white clear cut rules and solutions that one size fits all rules will cope adequately with.

Being dogmatic about these things - the older I get the more i come to realise that life is many shades of grey - there are no black and white clear answers to what are complex problems.

Thats the problem with Dogma...when your Karma backs up over your Dogma your in for heap big trouble paleface!

Cheers

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

my apologies for typos as I have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Me too

I live in Australia and for the most part we dont have guns and so there is a lot less chance of anyone getting shot

The truth is that the education that we in Western countires get does give us an advanced standard of living even if you are not the one who are highly educated and contributing to that high standard of living.

countries where education is not given and women are denied education for example - dont have a standard of living as good we ours

What does this have to do with polygamy? Children are required to attend school by law, regardless of marital arrangements. Pro-polygamist legislation would not change that.

I am pointing out that high standard of living is in those countries that do not have polygamy as the dominant family organisation

And the countries with the lowest standard of living and education consist of monogamous relationships: Uganda, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka, Nicaragua, Cuba, Belarus, China, Zimbabwe, etc...

I'm sorry there is really no link between how many people you are married to and how educated you are. To say so serves no purpose other than being ad hominem. All of the problematic examples you provided of low education rates have to do with arranged marriages, not polygamous marriages.

All I see is a bunch of pseudo-Christians telling people who they're allowed to love by their personal moral standards...

...And it's all too familiar.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ianmoone1

I live in Australia and for the most part we dont have guns

I live in Oz and I have guns!

In the old testament many of the kings and men had multiple wives as well as concubines!.

Only the other day Oprahwent to some breakaway mormon church somewhere in the US where they practise polygamy.

Sheinterviewed many of the teen girls up to 18 years of age in school - about just general things and bye and large they seemed to be very well educated about things that mattered and not so aware of thethings in this world that seem to lead away from God and aclean lived life.

I can't say i agreed with many of the doctrines for them -ike arranged marriages - they don;t get to fall in love and choose a husband - they get sent off with an aranged marriage.

far from what I expected (orgies etc) their lives seemed ot be very ordered, with not a lot of jealousy among the wives, in truth I found it hard to be critical of this sect.

Would i wish to live their life? No - but thats my freedom of choice.

Did I see anything intrinsically wrong with it?

Not really...however theres a caveat to that...

ONE of the men from the cult was in prison on charges of carnal knowledge for "marrying" in an arranged marriage a girl under 14 years of age.

Now as ageneralisation I don;t think thats a good thing for any kid,HOWEVER, we are kidding ourselves if we DON'T realise that there ARE girls in this world who illingly andknowlingly USE their sexuality to manipulate menspecifically to getwhat they want in life.

I recall within the group of friends that i hung out with as a lad - two girls (sisters) who "hooked up" with tow of the guys and one was 14 the other 16, and both were sexually active already.

One day we went somewhere (a factory that repaired cars) and one of the worlers there recognised the 2 sisters,and related howhe anda mate had been stranded at a flooded river crossing in the states north 2 years prior, for afew days and struck up "relationships with these two girls then aged 12 and 14 respectively!

Turns out tey were already sexually active back then as well!

So...these kids were from an "average family" to all intents and purposes, and not any part of any polygamous cult, yet they were both sexually active at 12 & 14 years so who knows how early they started?

While the LAW prescribes age of consent as 16 - just how does that one size fits all - suit ALL young women?

There are those who for whatever reason become active much younger.

Yes many of them end up involved with the law and carnal knowledge charges before theyreach 16 years of age.

Why then when these cults get such a girl and decide to "marry them early" for ther own reasonsisit an more heinous than the non cult girls who are putting it around for purely manipulative reasons at 12 or 14?

Like so many problemsin ur societys there doesn't appear to be black and white clear cut rules and solutions that one size fits all rules will cope adequately with.

Being dogmatic about these things - the older I get the more i come to realise that life is many shades of grey - there are no black and white clear answers to what are complex problems.

Thats the problem with Dogma...when your Karma backs up over your Dogma your in for heap big trouble paleface!

Cheers

so because girls can be sluts we should be locking them away maybe? in arranged polygamous marriages? that has worked in other cultures

would we be less shocked if these were boys and not girls who had a sex life so young?

I dont know what the answer is, all I can say is that I would hate to have my freedom of choice taken away from me and I would hate to be in a polygamous marriage and I am again pointing out that polygamy seems to be a family arrangement that is very ancient but as our civilisation advances we shed polygamy and embrace equality of the sexes

yeah I know some polygamous marriages work out wonderfully and the women get over any jealously or any other issues and I hope I never ever have to get over any jealousy or any other polygamy related issues. I dont want polygamy and I am totally against it as a way of life

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

umm...sorry, but Uganda has polygamy legal I believe??

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'll ask my girls when they come home from work if they feel disadvantaged.

Easy, there's enough for everybody...now...form a human shield....

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ianmoone1

Cheers

Ha Ha Ha - - Oh for sure!!!!!

At 64+ - - - when I read many posts/opinions/viewpoints/judgments - - - I see younger "idealistic propaganda". (I do consider religion & dogma propaganda).

Only getting "out there" and really living life opens one up to the knowledge/wisdom/understanding that it is a great big varied world we live in.

I am a proponent of Choice and Cause No Harm.

I actually think the single family unit has caused more harm to society then anything else.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Choice and never acknowledge harm? Is that almost the same thing?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Choice and never acknowledge harm? Is that almost the same thing?

The "harm" you point out has to do with arranged marriages, which are already legal. As are drugs, alcohol, cars, snowboarding, and factory working. All of which have a much higher chance of causing harm than a polygamous relationship. Now, promptly ignore this common knowledge because it does not support your preconclusive "argument". There's a word for this kind of behaviour...

Anyways, I guess you have nothing against polygamy since you have been ignoring all the questions directed towards you that ask what your arguments have to do with polygamy at all?

If you want to change your mind and start talking about polygamy instead of arranged marriages, I'll be here waiting... if likely for your next semi-fictional life experience that is as effective at addressing the topic as it is of concealing your bias.

Otherwise, have fun on your trek to "save" the next vagina... one lie at a time.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
i like self determination and making my own rules in my home and would hate to share my home with other women

I like to be the queen of my own castle

and I like a husband who is 100% into me and no one else

and yes I have that guy

and I would never ever swap that for a guy who shares his time with other women

I dont believe in the defeatist attitude that a guy is gonna cheat anyway so it s better the devil you know

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join