It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the U.S. Build Walls around it's borders?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Ok, I was bored at work and was finished listening to Assc...sorry.. Ashcroft saying they were fearing a big attack on the U.S. in the very near future..

I do not believe in this, but am wondering other's thoughts on this....

What if the U.S. or every other country built Walls around its borders,such as Isreal, and only had a certain amount of checkpoints? Would this deter the potential of a terrorist attack? Would it make the civilians feel like prisoners? Would it be possible to control everything that comes and goes?

I know its a relativly stupid idea but thats what happens at work.
Any takers?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A: Someone would have to watch the wall just as much as they would have to watch the border without one. No wall is un-passable.

B: Said checkpoints would make some mighty good terrorist targets.

C: California would never allow walls on their beaches, nor would any state for that matter.

D: No one really pretends the Border Patrol is there for anything other than the war against drugs.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
There is the whole pyschological aspect of it. America, the land of the free. The melting pot. Walls would symbolize a very un-American character.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
curme, thats a really good point. Our kids would grow up in a very different world than the one we grew up in. Who wants to live in a cage?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The only for us to beat terrorism is for international cooperation. Walling our selves in doesn't really go along with this. Plus I wonder how many terrorists actually come in from Mexico in the case of the US.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
The only for us to beat terrorism is for international cooperation. Walling our selves in doesn't really go along with this. Plus I wonder how many terrorists actually come in from Mexico in the case of the US.

This brings up a very good point. The fact that many many people cross the border each day, it would be simple for a terrorist to enter the country. I do agree that walling ourselves in will not help matters, it would only make it worse.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
There is the whole pyschological aspect of it. America, the land of the free. The melting pot. Walls would symbolize a very un-American character.

Agreed, but playing devils advocate, would the Abu-Garhib Prison scandle also constitute un-American character? The thing is I believe we (America) are going through a huge change in the way the world perceives us.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I dont think we're going through a change in how the world percieves us, I think we are just realizing it for the first time

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
We need armed soldiers at the border. This would be a good job for MP reservists who could be rotated throughout the year unless needed for foreign duties.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I don't think the US should put walls around our borders, but after a few more years maybe the rest of the world will wall us in.

Man, there's a tough decision. Total xenophobia. The wall goes up on such and such date. Are you in or are you out?

I'd SERIOUSLY have to think about it.

Probably out.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
At the Mexican border, YES; but at the Canadian border, no. The 2000 U.S. Census said that there were approximately 10 million (that's 10,000,000!) illegal immigrants in the U.S. That's half the population of the State of Texas! That's more people than live in any of the four largest cities in the U.S. -- the New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, or Houston metropolitan areas!

Unless you're best friends, as the old saying goes, "Good fences make good neighbors." My house has a fence around it, but I don't feel trapped in a cage. It's not like I can't leave or return.

By the way, in Israel, terrorist attacks have been reduced by 90% since they built the wall seperating them from the West Bank.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Walls no its not necessary
www.fcw.com...

new topics

top topics

join