It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introduction from a reader who just decided to actually join

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hello, ATS.

I've been reading ATS for a while now. I've always been interested in conspiracy theories, unorthodox religious theories, UFO theories, and basically any and all theories.

I studied philosophy in college and I study law now. I hope that ATS might serve as an outlet to discuss things that can get you ridiculed and marginalized in the usual law school and general society social circles.

My interest in the types of subject matter on ATS have been incubating and developing for a long time. The foundation is my life-long tendency to question authority of any kind. I was apparently a difficult child to raise as I demanded reasons for anything my parents told me to do, and not just the simple, false reasoning parents often give to their kids.

Eventually I developed libertarian political views and an interest in the unexplained (UFOs, conspiracy theories, the great mysteries of the universe, religion, etc.). I watched the X-files religiously as a young child, and enjoyed reading about UFOs and the outer bounds of our scientific and religious knowledge. I have always had a deep-seated thirst for knowledge and the truth. Having grown up watching the X-files, I always fancied myself as a bit of a Mulder, but I'm a bit more discreet (haha).

I get the impression that many folks on ATS are interested in only one or a few of the areas discussed on this site. I've got an interest in all of them. Yellowstone fascinates me. I follow politics and the current tyrannical police-state religiously. I've walked a long path of beliefs and views on UFOs from believe to skeptic to believer to currently believing intelligent life might be out there, but science suggests it would be virtually impossible that we could ever meet them. That said, I'm open-minded and appreciate any sound theories that might move my understanding closer to the truth.

I've been reading ATS for a while now, and feel that it's time to post on a few subjects that I know well. I hope to contribute to the often intelligent debate on the site, and I don't think I would be willing to join if not for ATS rejection of unfounded claims and high standards applied to the things people post. ATS isn't a free-for-all where any off-kilter imagination (there are many) can post whatever they like and find it accepted as gospel. The quest for truth is helped by skepticism of all, even the skeptics, and ATS strikes a great balance between open-minded and skeptical doubt. That's why I'm here.

I don't know if that's what an introduction is supposed to include, but if I left anything out I'll gladly answer questions. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Hello! So nice to meet you! Welcome to ATS! This site is addicting. I know, I live here!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hayek11
if I left anything out I'll gladly answer questions.

...cool... are you related to selma?... jk... welcome aboard - abored - aborg?... jk, again...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Unfortunately, I'm not related to Selma. I'm a big fan of the Austrian Economist F.A. Hayek, though, thus the username.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Welcome, couldn't have said it better myself. I joined last year but never started posting until recently. Took a while to figure what goes on around here and like you said, it's balanced. See ya around!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hayek11

I feel the same way about this site, which is why it is completely overwhelming to me - whenever I'm here it's like I have "theory ADD" and I just keep branching off, following one thread to another thread, to another. It's FANTASTIC isn't it?
Welcome (although I'm new too and don't really get to "welcome" a fellow newbie)

edit on 21-11-2010 by MissE because: (no reason given)

top topics

join