It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force to soldiers: Watch out with geotagging services

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Air Force to soldiers: Watch out with geotagging services

www.afterdawn.com

The U.S. Air Force has warned soldiers this month that geotagging services, especially incredibly popular ones such as Facebook Places and Foursquare, can inadvertently reveal the location of a team to the enemy, putting lives at risk.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Wow I never thought of this, but some services such as Twitter when used with a SmartPhone that has a GPS built in will post your GPS coordinates when you post. This could be very dangerous to our troops, I hope they all learn and don't make the mistake of giving away their exact location.

Imagen if some on a Black Ops or Spec Ops mission is resting before the mission starts but just after insertion starts to Tweet..

But I highly doubt that the enemy would have time to view Twitter let alone figure out that the troops are sitting at their back door.

www.afterdawn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
So they are agreeing that if you activate GPS systems on your phone/iPod/etc, that some government agency is keeping tabs somewhere?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

related to a facebook or other social network sites "updating your location" function.. IMHO any 'operator" bringing a turned on personal cellphone into the field deserves what he gets when it rings at the worst possible moment. Hope he doesn't get his team killed too...

edit on 19-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Djdoubt03

Im not being funny here, but anyone who is in a black ops unit , using a personal cell to tweet ANYTHING, from ANYWHERE if he is anywhere other than at home chilling out, is deserving of whatever painful end they meet. You would have to be some sort of total lackwit in order to perform such a total fail.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
A soldier on facebook is just as dumb as a conspiracy theorist on facebook

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
That's a good point that Facebook can give away military locations during war. On a personal note I am very careful not to let anyone know when we leave for vacations, onlly to find out my teens told the whole world which days we would be gone and where we were on any given day. A bit scary.

top topics

join