It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hog Maw - Pennsylvania Dutch cooking at it's finest.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hog Maw - Pennsylvania Dutch cooking at it's finest.

You start with the following:

Some folks use potatoes, cabbage and onions, but we had a few nice turnips ready in the garden so I substituted those instead of the cabbage.

peel, slice, chop/cube the veges

Add:
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. parsely flakes
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. ground sausage

Mix all that together Thoroughly

Stuff the above into your well-rinsed hog maw and tie the ends shut if/as needed ... like so:

sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the top for added flavor

place into a 9X13 pan along with a cup or so of water and bake for approx. 2 1/2 hrs. @ 350F

remember to baste it about every 30 mintues or so

removed from oven and place on a cooling rack for about 20 minutes, allowing it to 'set'.

Voila'

down home, stick-to-your-ribs, good eats.

Total Cost: right around $15 and easily feeds 6 or more.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
WOW that looks good!!

I will have to bookmark this and try it sometime.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Yummins.............but it needs more pork fat.

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Brought to you from the same people who make scrapple. No pig part left uneaten! Well, I'll bet hog maw is tasty. I think I'll make my version using a crockpot, knowing, however, it won't be quite the same. Hmmmmm, I wonder what it might taste like to throw in some apple and replace garlic with....I don't know...a bit of cinnamon or rosemary?

I grew up eating Pennsylvania Dutch potato salad and coleslaw. As my grandmother used to say, "We can come over Sunday to visit yoose."

I like the pix, BTW. I never realized how good ingredients and food can look online.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Hmmmmm, I wonder what it might taste like to throw in some apple and replace garlic with....I don't know...a bit of cinnamon or rosemary?

dunno ... but, give it a shot and let us know how it turns out ... seems more streudal-like, but who knows. (?)

I grew up eating Pennsylvania Dutch potato salad and coleslaw. As my grandmother used to say, "We can come over Sunday to visit yoose."

Yoose, you-ins' ... no matter.
Good food. Good times.

I like the pix, BTW. I never realized how good ingredients and food can look online.

Xactly.
A 'recipe' is just that but pictures truly are worth their oft mentioned thousand word likeliness.

top topics

join