It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spacecraft Flies Through Cosmic Snowstorm!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b0f11b3559a.gif[/atsimg]

The first science results from the Deep Impact spacecraft's Nov. 4 flyby of the comet, presented in a press conference today, show the comet's drumstick-shaped nucleus is surrounded by chunks of ice ranging from as small a snowflake to as large as a basketball.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f08dd39809f6.jpg[/atsimg]

One of the biggest surprises from the flyby was that the comet seems to spew carbon dioxide, dust and ice from its bulbous ends, but not so much from the skinny smooth neck.

When we saw images come down, even in real-time in the raw data, and realized we had a cloud of snow around the nucleus, we were astounded," said planetary scientist Michael A'Hearn, leader of the EPOXI mission that sent the spacecraft to its icy encounter. "To me this whole thing looks like a snow globe you've shaken," said planetary scientist Peter Schultz of Brown University.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fb57c8727873.jpg[/atsimg]

The scientists were able to construct a 3D image, called an anaglyph, of Hartley 2's entire nucleus and the cloud of particles surrounding it.

Source: www.wired.com...

Well now, this should spark a little debate. The whole Water and Ice debate. I have to tell you the photos present a pretty stong case.

Isn't it amazing we have the ability to even be at that poing in time and to be able to document this thing?

I wonder if anything will ever become of Humans and if it would need to utilized these elements in space, or rather from space. But, in reality, didn't we all come from space-somehow. The basic materials for life.

If there are aliens etc they must be impressed at our advances and abilities in the last 60 years (or so). Anyone able to see that 3D pic with the proper eye wear?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I see this story is popping up on all the web media spots now.

Remember, you heard it here first.

Pretty amzaing stuff. Looking for a video.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The "snow" is solid rock, it is not CO2 and it is not water ice.

It is the fluff of electric discharge machining blasting surface material off the comet.

Notice the first picture. Again, we see clear evidence that the "jets" of the comet are self-luminous. They are electrical plasma discharges.

The comet is surrounded by a wall of electrically charged dust that reacts to magnetic fields.

The chemical signatures detected are ions created by recombination and the plasma discharge.

The comet is made entirely out of solid rock.

It is a burned electrically cratered piece of solid rock.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

What you talkin' bout Willis?

The first science results from the Deep Impact spacecraft's Nov. 4 flyby of the comet, presented in a press conference today, show the comet's drumstick-shaped nucleus is surrounded by chunks of ice ranging from as small a snowflake to as large as a basketball.

"chunks of ice"

Ice = H2O in a solid form.

Right?
edit on 19-11-2010 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

You are one of the reasons I posted this. I read your previous post about such things and you had me convinced.

And then I saw this article.

What do you say about the pics and the methods use to take them & then decifer them?

What benifit do they get to promote a lie or misturth?

Have you ever contacted these people or groups and set them straight? And, if so, did they run with your theory?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
There must be decomposition in any any object of low mass.
Holding on to ice seems not possible.
Without various scientific reading surrounding objects in space
we are at a loss to say what exactly is going on.
Take it from battling Velikovsky
to try and make sense from the people that make these space pronouncements.
There is a major flaw in the science.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

You are one of the reasons I posted this. I read your previous post about such things and you had me convinced.

And then I saw this article.

What do you say about the pics and the methods use to take them & then decifer them?

What benifit do they get to promote a lie or misturth?

Have you ever contacted these people or groups and set them straight? And, if so, did they run with your theory?

Its important to remember that the only analysis that they can do is by looking at a spectrometer.

They are seeing charged ions of oxygen, hydrogen, carbon, and other various organics - they ARE NOT sampling the dust directly or actually examining its properties in any other way.

They are then leaping to the conclusion that the spectrometer readings actually represent real molecules. This does not necessarily have to be the case at all.

Large amounts of oxygen and hydrogen ions does not mean that water must be present. They ASSUME it must be present because they have no other way of explaining the oxygen and hydrogen ions they see in the spectrometer readings. Plasma cosmology provides an alternative reason for why we see those ions.

The dust you see in the image really is dust, it is not ice.
edit on 19-11-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
PC explanation:

www.thunderbolts.info...

Deep Impact saw absolutely no evidence for any ice on the surface of comet Tempel 1. At 56 °C (133 °F) on the sunlit side it was too hot for ices. However, it was reported that there's plenty of ice visible in Tempel 1's coma.

On viewing comet comas spectroscopically and observing the hydroxyl radical (OH), astronomers simply assume it to be a residue of water ice (H2O) broken down by the ultraviolet light of the Sun (photolysis). This assumption requires a reaction rate due to solar UV radiation beyond anything that can be demonstrated experimentally.

A report in Nature more than 25 years ago cast doubt on this mechanism. As Comet Tago-Sato-Kosaka moved away from the Sun, OH production fell twice as fast as that of H, and the ratio of OH:H production was lower than expected if H2O was dominant. The report concludes, “cometary scientists need to consider more carefully whether H2O-ice really does constitute a major fraction of comet nuclei.”

The mystery of ‘missing water’ is resolved electrically in the transaction between a negatively charged comet and the Sun. In this model, electrical discharges strip negative oxygen ions from rocky minerals on the nucleus and accelerate the particles away from the comet in energetic jets. The negative ions then combine with protons from the solar wind to form the observed OH radical, neutral H2O and H2O+.

Alfvén and Gustav Arrhenius note, “The assumption of ices as important bonding materials in cometary nuclei rests in almost all cases on indirect evidence, specifically the observation of atomic hydrogen and hydroxyl radical in a vast cloud surrounding the comet, in some cases accompanied by observation of H20+ or neutral water molecules.” *

The abundance of silicates on comet nuclei, confirmed by infrared spectrometry, led the authors to cite experiments by Arrhenius and Andersen. By irradiating the common mineral, calcium aluminosilicate (anorthite), with protons in the 10 kilovolt range, the experiments “resulted in a substantial (~10 percent) yield of hydroxyl ion and also hydroxyl ion complexes [such as CaOH.]”

A good reason for the experiments was already in hand. Observations on the lunar surface reported by Hapke et al., and independently by Epstein and Taylor had “already demonstrated that such proton-assisted abstraction of oxygen (preferentially 016) from silicates is an active process in space, resulting in a flux of OH and related species.”

The authors note in addition that this removal of oxygen from particles of dust in the cometary coma could be much more efficient than on a solid surface with limited exposure to available protons: “The production of hydroxyl radicals and ions would in this case not be rate-limited by surface saturation to the same extent as on the Moon.”

The authors conclude: “These observations, although not negating the possible occurrence of water ice in cometary nuclei, point also to refractory sources of the actually observed hydrogen and hydroxyl.” Additionally, they note, solar protons as well as the products of their reaction with silicate oxygen would interact with any solid carbon and nitrogen compounds characteristic of carbonaceous chondrites to yield the volatile carbon and nitrogen radicals observed in comet comas.

*H Alfvén and Gustav Arrhenius, Evolution of the Solar System, NASA SP-345, 1976, p. 235.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Is there any reason to think that this is water and carbon dioxide in any form rather than they think it should be there? I mean if the a priori is that comets are made of ice then any material that is ejected off of this ice ball would most likely be ice, right?

Are those colored images supposed to represent spectral analysis? I am interested in more information here but until then here is a quote from that article that seems to sum it up.

"We don't really know yet,"

ADD; I was busy reading and looking for more information that I missed mnemeth1's 2 replies.
edit on 11/19/2010 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Yeah, I'd love to see the full image that was cut off here.

I'm sure they cut it off because the so-called jets were lit up like a Christmas tree.

I haven't seen any high resolution images of that lower jet.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b0f11b3559a.gif[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

join