It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumcision decision: City's proposed ban adds to debate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

In the California city that banned Happy Meal toys,outlawed sitting on sidewalks during daylight hours and fined residents for not sorting garbage into recycling, compost and trash, Lloyd Schofield wants to add a new law to the books in San Francisco: A ban on all male circumcisions. Those who violate the ban could be jailed (not more than one year) or fined (not more than $1,000), under his proposal. Circumcisions even for religious reasons would not be allowed. At this point, Schofield's proposal is an idea that would have to clear several hurdles to be considered.

News Source

More banning! Who and what supports these crazy ideas? This is just crazy to see people want to ban. I can't believe my eyes!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I would like to make a point! As a person who is a Liberal and is an Atheist I would like to say I would never agree with any of these laws. I'm Eco friendly and believe in recycling. Yet! These laws are to silly.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

What a schmuck.........

Ba-Da-Cha!

MOTF!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

In the California city that banned Happy Meal toys,outlawed sitting on sidewalks during daylight hours and fined residents for not sorting garbage into recycling, compost and trash, Lloyd Schofield wants to add a new law to the books in San Francisco: A ban on all male circumcisions. Those who violate the ban could be jailed (not more than one year) or fined (not more than $1,000), under his proposal. Circumcisions even for religious reasons would not be allowed. At this point, Schofield's proposal is an idea that would have to clear several hurdles to be considered.

News Source

More banning! Who and what supports these crazy ideas? This is just crazy to see people want to ban. I can't believe my eyes!

Well I agree with this. Male genital mutilation is a crime.

Are you saying you agree with it??

Can I cut a childs, MY childs nose off to stop him getting blocked noses if I think hey, he'll get blocked noses as an adult, best to snip it off now?

Fully agree with the banning of circumcision... archaeic and stupid thing it is.

anyone who brings up the "Oh but it gets nasty if theyre not snipped - CLEAN YOUR JUNK.. Or you deeserve people fondling it... gah.

Thankfully my tockley is all aboard.. never had a days discomfort.. never had a problem..

Gee I guess I know how to wash...

?????????

edit on 19/11/2010 by badw0lf because: I was about to cut it off then reconsidered...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I think it's a choice of the parents and I'm circumcised and I can tell I'm no different from anyone else because of it!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by badw0lf

I think it's a choice of the parents and I'm circumcised and I can tell I'm no different from anyone else because of it!

So you then agree with female genital mutilation..

(edit** Youre a good kid RR.. and you didn't say that, I implied it and that was wrong of me... but my sentiment stands... it is no different.. but it was wrong of me to attack in such a manner..)

Nup... dont agree.. wont agree.. it's a religious stupidity and one that needs to be effed off..

edit on 19/11/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

As long as the kid (male) is safe. I believe male circumcision is not all that bad. Just get a good doctor to do it. Female circumcision is something I have heard of but never really looked at. I don't agree with young girls being circumcised.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Your opinion and you certainly should voice it.

Whether one agrees with it or not is not the issue here. This is not, and should not, be a legislative action. This is a choice, for religious or other reasons. It doesn't matter what reasons the child's parents use as the basis for the decision. It is a choice.

Can I cut a childs, MY childs nose off to stop him getting blocked noses if I think hey, he'll get blocked noses as an adult, best to snip it off now?

Not the same thing and you know it.

Fully agree with the banning of circumcision... archaeic and stupid thing it is.

What you are saying is that you fully agree with forcing opinions of people on others. Is that what you really want?? It is your opinion and you are entitled to it, just don't force it on others.

anyone who brings up the "Oh but it gets nasty if theyre not snipped - CLEAN YOUR JUNK.. Or you deeserve people fondling it... gah.

Really?

Thankfully my tockley is all aboard.. never had a days discomfort.. never had a problem..

Gee. I'm glad for you... congratulations! Although I'm not sure I really needed to hear about it.

Gee I guess I know how to wash...

edit on 19/11/2010 by badw0lf because: I was about to cut it off then reconsidered...

Most of your post is immature and childish and doesn't add anything to your position that you would like to force people into this opinion. In fact it distracts from it. Perhaps you should reconsider next time and stop while you're ahead.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I was never "cut" and haven't had one moment's trouble, so if anything it just adds to the comfort of going "commando" and gives the GF a little extra to play with - she loves it!

I don't think circumcision is either desirable or necessary. That said, I get angry that some stupid bunch of morons would take it unto themselves to impose their "wisdom" on everyone else.

It should be left up to the parents, not a bunch of tin-plated a$$hats with delusions of godhood.

You couldn't pay me to even visit San Fran!

My parents were smart enough to say hell-no, if it becomes a problem we'll deal with it then. And they taught me how to wash too, lol.

But to have these city council morons take that decision away from the parents? No way.

A note on the totally false comparison with female so-called "circumcision": there is no way that you can equate the two validly.

Male circumcision removes a flap of skin. Female circumcision as is practiced by some tribes in African removes the clitoris, the sex organ, which is a whole other matter and barbaric as hell.

It's the equivalent of having the head of your johnson chopped off, not a little bit of skin.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I am with you.

Whether or not you agree with circumcision is NOT the issue.

The fact that it sure as hell is nothing the SF City Council should be imposing or banning, IS the issue.

Don't those fools have more pressing issues to deal with?

Edit: OP starred and flagged!
edit on 19-11-2010 by mydarkpassenger because: Forgot to add

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Your opinion and you certainly should voice it.

Thanks.

Whether one agrees with it or not is not the issue here. This is not, and should not, be a legislative action. This is a choice, for religious or other reasons. It doesn't matter what reasons the child's parents use as the basis for the decision. It is a choice.

It's god damned child abuse.. You are not talking about ear rings, you are talking about dismemberment.

Am I on earth? Did I suddenly appear on planet loopy?

Not the same thing and you know it.

HOW. Explain to me the difference. Really, I will listen to the reasoning.

you cut off the skin from a penis. For...... ? It's child abuse. It's disfigurement. But I will listen to reason. I will not agree with it, but .. there seems to be a disparity between the two.

What you are saying is that you fully agree with forcing opinions of people on others. Is that what you really want?? It is your opinion and you are entitled to it, just don't force it on others.

Opinions? You are advocating cutting a childs penis. When is that an opinion?

It is ABUSE. A stupid pathetic archaic custom best left in ye ol' good books... you know the books that idiots revel in.

Oh My God......... Never would I expect this level of contempt against such a barbaric custom...

Really?

sad.. Really. sad..

Yes. I don't expect religious freaks or child abusers to get it however... thats what this has turned into. no? Yeah...

Gee. I'm glad for you... congratulations! Although I'm not sure I really needed to hear about it.

Awww talking about a penis makes you scared, but cutting one up is all on the books..... Pathetic..

Nice try at derailing the argument with your obnoxious "Its OK to mutilate children" jaunt.

Pfft...

Most of your post is immature and childish and doesn't add anything to your position that you would like to force people into this opinion. In fact it distracts from it. Perhaps you should reconsider next time and stop while you're ahead.

Yep, thats the way I expected the thread to go.. Far from a logical and rational opposition towads my argument that MALE GENITAL MUTILATION is a crime, you just rabble on about how it's me who is the bad guy...

well done, you sir, own a hat. One I wont forget.

I will NEVER accept genital mutilation.. Parents right? Baloney. I guess you also accept it's a parents right to beat their kids... Hey, they won't remember it when they are 50 years old....

Disgusting.. pathetic and disgusting... You did not even try, and yet I fel like puking..

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

I am with you.

Roll on the end of the world.. A world full of people clinging onto barbaric *BARBARIC* customs needs to die out... en masse..

I give up on this, you are all pathetic and sick..

Female genital mutilation is heinous... yet here you lot are saying "Hey its ok of mum and day wanna chops johnnys willy"..

Pathetic...

I think I'm more sad at the responses here than astonished.. humans, after all..

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I am with you.

Roll on the end of the world.. A world full of people clinging onto barbaric *BARBARIC* customs needs to die out... en masse..

I give up on this, you are all pathetic and sick..

Female genital mutilation is heinous... yet here you lot are saying "Hey its ok of mum and day wanna chops johnnys willy"..

Pathetic...

I think I'm more sad at the responses here than astonished.. humans, after all..

No need to get nasty and insulting - I wasn't towards you, was I?

I just believe that the SF city council should have no part in this - it should be a personal decision on the part of the parents, not dictated from a bunch of tin-plated a$$hats.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
According to 1 Maccabees, the banning of circumcision was one of the laws introduced by the notorious king Antiochus Epiphanes- along with the famous "Abomination" in the Temple.
The precedent is not good.

(In any case, there are times when circumcision has good sound medical reasons)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
According to 1 Maccabees, the banning of circumcision was one of the laws introduced by the notorious king Antiochus Epiphanes- along with the famous "Abomination" in the Temple.
The precedent is not good.

(In any case, there are times when circumcision has good sound medical reasons)

Leaving out hygiene, what would those times be?

The main issue here is who should determine whether or not male circumcision is done.

I think it should be a family matter with input from a doctor if needed. Not the bunch a$$es on the SF city council.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Leaving out hygiene, what would those times be?

E.g. when the foreskin can't be pulled back naturally.
That's the one I know about.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Some of these posts really bother me... why do some of you think you have the right to control people's lives so much? And many of you are the atheists that complain about religion controlling people's lives. Seriously, where does it end? Seems that many won't be happy until they can dictate what car you drive, what food you buy, what medical procedures you can get, what words you speak, what thoughts you think.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Endure
Some of these posts really bother me... why do some of you think you have the right to control people's lives so much? And many of you are the atheists that complain about religion controlling people's lives. Seriously, where does it end? Seems that many won't be happy until they can dictate what car you drive, what food you buy, what medical procedures you can get, what words you speak, what thoughts you think.

Starred that! It sure as heck shouldn't be controlled by the SF City Council.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
People, don't you see? We are just too stupid, uninformed, barbaric, and caught up in our useless and meaningless traditions and institutions to be able to make rational decisions for ourselves. We need help. Badly. Immediately.

It sure is a good thing that the people running San Francisco are there to help us figure out what's right and wrong for our kids. I mean, we are absolutely powerless to prevent our toddlers and adolescents from demanding Happy Meals from us, whenever the whim for a cheeseburger and toy hit them. Countless are the days when we are forced to drive our little ones to McDonald's and folk over pre-packaged meals to them, utterly with any control over their deadly intake of calories and fat. Now that the Happy Meals are gone, we can get back to reality!

< sarcasm off >

San Francisco literally makes me ill. Almost as ill as it's east coast equivalent, Cambridge MA, where I currently work. Both cities are filled to the brim with liberal do-gooders who delude themselves into thinking that they know better that everyone else, simply because they have been afforded a (supposedly) superior education and have inherited money.

Both liberal cities sicken me because they decry the lack of affordable housing and shelter for the homeless, yet both cities are exorbitantly expensive to live in, with out of control rents and property values. Despite the liberal call for protecting the poor, both San Francisco and Cambridge contain residents (not workers or employees) with some of the highest average personal wealth. Accordingly, both cities are predominately white, with declining populations of blacks and other minorities. And the worst part is the culture of hypocrisy. For people who consistently love to "celebrate diversity", their views can very quickly become narrow and unyielding if your "diversity" varies from their world views.

Liberals only know what is good for themselves. If they would just keep it that way and stop trying to shove their views down the throats of the rest of us, there wouldn't be so many problems. I think I'm going to move to New Hampshire see, where the state motto is "Live Free or Die".
edit on 19-11-2010 by Pyros because: formatting

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Endure

I starred your post, too, because that's where I see things going. Laws for when we can go potty are next!

I am VERY anti-circumcision, but education is the way to change. I think circumcision is cruel and horrible, but if people don't know any better, it's a common thing to do. The rates in California have gone down drastically because of education, so that's working.

Keep the government OUT of it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join