It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paying poor students to get good grades? No thanks, minister now says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Paying poor students to get good grades? No thanks, minister now says

news.guelphmercury.com

TORONTO — Ontario’s education minister says she’s now opposed to the controversial idea of paying poor students to do well in class.

Canada’s largest school board is looking at the possibility and has started an online debate about whether needy kids should be paid to attend school and get good grades.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
There are a lot of issues afoot in Toronto, it be nice to help those who are needy get a good education, mainly because those who are needy and can't afford to get a college education, usually they turn to a life of crime. But we know Ontario likes to cut education even though we have literacy tests in grades 3, 6, and 9.

news.guelphmercury.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I dont think they should pay poor kids when they get good grades. That will cause a huge disruption in the school. I believe it would cause non poor kids to stop trying hard in school. I mean how poor do you have to be to qualify?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I am not too sure, there are two sides to this, poorer kids tend not to do as well in school due to lack of income and if they turn to a life of crime, a lot of poorer people tend to do that it may be some sort of thing for a reduction of crime as well since Toronto has its fair share.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hypr2008

This got me fuming when I heard about it on the news! I grew up poor and I did well in school because I was raised to do my best and to try my hardest. How about getting good grades and expanding your knowledge because it is the good and right thing to do?

I hate the school trustees (both public and separate) and think they should all be fired unilaterally and replaced with temps until the next election. I cannot fathom being able to keep my job after doing what various trustees have done.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I don't know how the availability of learning materials is in Canada (it's my assumption that is is at least equal to that of the US), but here in the States, needy students and non-needy students have the same access to information through publicly funded libraries and the school systems.

Paying a student to make good grades would encourage cheating, no matter what their social status is.

I've seen students from poor families excel in school and go on to become successful and productive members od society while at the same time students from well-to-do families have no interest in learning and become social outcasts.

top topics

join