It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Data of Security Researcher Attmpted to be Confiscated at Airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Electronic Data of Security Researcher Attmpted to be Confiscated at Airport

twitter.com

Off intl. flight, two CBP agents were waiting for me at the plane's door. Held me for 4.5hrs, had instructions to get my electronic data. - about 8 hours ago via web

Forensics guy tried to dazzle me with jargon for why my data would be secure if I gave him my encryption passes, "Linux with ipcables (sic)" - about 7 hours ago via web
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is a crazy story. Moxie__ a well known security researcher (hacker) has his laptop sequestered and the data therein attempted to be retrieved.

There is no indication as of yet if they got it.

Other tweets have also raised suspicions...

From @Porkulus

WTF do the feds want with @moxie__'s "electronic data?"

@briankrebs from the Washington Post has also retweeted this, so the MSM is aware of the situation.

Others of his friends have also reached out via tweets, and nothing...

I will update this thread as the story develops and more information is discovered. You too can follow along through the medium of the twitter search.

twitter.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
As usual, TSA is showing itself to be classes and obtuse.

What THREAT would traveling with that data pose?

All they needed to do is contact a law enforcement authority at his destination and they could have handled it via legally appropriate channels (presumably getting a warrant). But NO!. They want the glory of finding important information in the hands of one of those 'people' to obscure their horrible record of dealing with humans as objects.

They're job is to secure the transportation system, not engage in search and seizure of electronic data.

It never fails to amaze me how many ways they can screw up.

I am expecting the 'news' to re-categorize the situation to color the gubment as the heroes....

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The thing that gets me is that this isn't the firs time it's happened...

@Infolookup This has been happening with increasing hostility for a while now. No idea why, they never disclose anything.

top topics

join