It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Senate Votes Cloture On S 510 – Must Now Be Voted On In 60 Days

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just passed the senate 57-27.

It will go in the house in 2 weeks since next week they are in holiday. They gonna try hard to pass it.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

Nevermind that, the bill itself is forbidding people to sell foods produced in their own backyards to their neighbors.

No, that is not right. That is an urban myth.Read my post above yours.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

It seems you have a lot of faith in the word "probably" - as in "will probably be excluded". Not good enough for me. I imagine also not good enough for a lot of people.

You know, there are real things to worry about in this country. However, all of you people sound like chicken little concerning this bill. There is nothing in there about home gardens. In FACT, if you would take time to read the entire bill, as I have done, you will see that home gardens are specifically excluded when you READ the definition of what is considered a "farm". Furthermore, do you really think that the government has time to go to 100,000,000 home gardens to police them? Worry about something REAL. Check Snopes if you want their take on this. They also say this stupid Internet rumor is FALSE.
The quality of posts sure has gone downhill lately. Nobody bothers to check facts;they just respond to false claims, and react as if they are true.
I won't waste my time posting research and facts any more, as it is obvious you people wish to just make up conspiracies.
Have a nice life.I've had it with ATS.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Ouch... Well, I'm not going to argue. I was more concerned about Farmer's Markets myself. I really enjoy them. They have always been a good source of fresh (unadulterated) produce and homemade food items.

The "true" organic businesses that have recently been on a growth spurt may fair badly with this S510. Most people these days have to work so much, they don't have time to maintenance a garden - or have the place to put one. Their only source for natural foods are through alternative local producers. To wipe out local production - wipes out local sustainability and subjects people to system-wide dependence, that in all respects, is on its way to bankruptcy.

How is the American public going to come up with the money to pay this new department and enforce any of it?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by bozzchem

If they plan to shut down my garden, things will really get interesting.

That won't happen. Nowhere in the bill is there any wording which refers to home gardens. In fact, even small farmers and small farms that sell to local farmers markets will probably be excluded, as Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont. has proposed an amendment to S510 which would exclude them from this bill.

t seems you have a lot of faith in the word "probably" - as in "will probably be excluded".

Not good enough for me. I imagine also not good enough for a lot of people.

I have no faith whatsoever in the term probably and don't see how you reached that conclusion based upon your quotations. I'm not casting dispersion but am merely asking since my memory isn't the greatest.

I cut down an exceptionally large oak tree that was blocking a clear sight picture to my garden. Between the rabbits and the deer, I realized I was growing food for every creature on my land but myself and the massive oak was blocking my sight picture. Said ginormous oak is now in the woodpile and in addition to heating my home, I now have an excellent sight picture of my garden.

Whether the thief is a rabbit, deer or bureaucrat, all can be dispatched as the pests they are. All of the aforementioned pests are taken care of by the vultures once they have been rendered to their status as a meatbag so it's no biggie to me either way. It's just a matter of determining which round to use based on the size of the pest. .22 for rabbits and .308 for deer and bureaucrats.

Rest assured that nobody will tell me what I can or cannot plant in my garden. If someone is willing to risk their life to contain and control my liberty, who am I if I am not willing to risk my life to sustain my liberty? If they attempt to get sneaky, that's what my crossbow is for. You hear the "twang" and then the recipient is done. It cuts through level II, III and IIIa body armor like it's nothing. My body armor is level IV so that won't be an option for them. Just sayin...

None of us will live forever. You have to make the choice about living on your knees or dying on your feet. I choose the latter and it will make for one hell of a news story, of that I can assure you.
edit on 18-11-2010 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2010 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This is the kind of bull you're expected to get when you don't get enough people raise hell. Half of Americans don't pay attention to whats going on due to the distractions that are being thrown out and the other half don't have the energy or spark to go out and protest and raise hell. The Government needs to learn to fear the people again, not the other way around.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by centurion1211

It seems you have a lot of faith in the word "probably" - as in "will probably be excluded". Not good enough for me. I imagine also not good enough for a lot of people.

You know, there are real things to worry about in this country. However, all of you people sound like chicken little concerning this bill. There is nothing in there about home gardens. In FACT, if you would take time to read the entire bill, as I have done, you will see that home gardens are specifically excluded when you READ the definition of what is considered a "farm". Furthermore, do you really think that the government has time to go to 100,000,000 home gardens to police them? Worry about something REAL. Check Snopes if you want their take on this. They also say this stupid Internet rumor is FALSE.
The quality of posts sure has gone downhill lately. Nobody bothers to check facts;they just respond to false claims, and react as if they are true.
I won't waste my time posting research and facts any more, as it is obvious you people wish to just make up conspiracies.
Have a nice life.I've had it with ATS.

Good we don't need Government shills and hacks promoting their endless desire for control over the lives of Americans

ANY time congress is about to pass a bill it is worth worrying about!

Giving ANY more control to our federal government over farmers is a bad idea!

These bills are made to benefit large corporations. You know the ones that really pose health risks to all.
edit on 18-11-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
How many people have actually read the bill?

You guys seem to be taking the summary, given by a fear monger.. Which isn't really a summary, it's actually a giant lie, and to date no one has been able to cite a specific point in the bill where it says they are going to shut down your garden.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

You guys seem to be taking the summary, given by a fear monger.. Which isn't really a summary, it's actually a giant lie, and to date no one has been able to cite a specific point in the bill where it says they are going to shut down your garden.

I remember when the health care bill was nearing passage people said that they wouldn't really fine people for not having insurance.

Tell me why there needs to be more regulations on farmers?

Oh and when are we gonna get to really read whats in it, amendments and all? After its passed???!!

Congress loves hiding things in last minute amendments that no one gets to read before the vote.
edit on 18-11-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Stared and flagged!!! I am going to write a letter to the editor in my town immediately, there is no way that they can take the rights and freedoms away from the local growers without a huge fight on their corporate hands!

You are right, with so damn much going on on so many fronts it is never easy to stay up on these sneaking bills as they pass on the heels of other issues.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
So UPDATE...

The bill per say didn't pass the senate today... the CLOTURE vote passed... A cloture vote is to override a filibuster.

So the real senate vote could happen TOMORROW or in two weeks... we'll see.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I don't see it so much as a matter of it passing or not. The bill is blatantly unconstitutional and I feel more sorry for some ding a ling deuputy trying to enforce such tripe. Some poor guy is going to pop up on my property talking all grades of smack and then he or she is going to get the smack layed down on them.

I use a computer program to determine what I'll be growing based on moon phases, and other things associated with maximizing yield from a garden.

If some yahoo think they are coming out to my place to tell me what I can or can't grow, it will not be a good day for that individual nor their family.

Leave me the hell alone and I'll do the same. Get a sporty bib thinking you'll head out here and screw with my stuff? We make the news. There is no man who will tell me what I can nor can't do in my garden...while I'm capable of defending. it.

Leave me alone and I'll do the same. Poke and press me and you'll be met with resistance the likes that you haven't seen since Afghanistan....but I always aim for the head.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Right...I think of this bill in much of the same way the Patriot Act was passed under the notion that it was meant to protect us from terrorism. All that we had to do was give up some of our freedom in exchange for more security. I know Benjamin Franklin is quoted exceedingly on this subject, but not without reason, because this is exactly what is happening in the United States.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

Not really. Don't be so afraid to hate this bill. Here's some additional information to help you understand why our food source is at stake. BTW, I suppose this doesn't affect you if you don't mind buying GMO foods. When I remove the pesticides from the tomatoes I get from the store, it turns the water yellow. For those of us that care about our health and don't mind paying a bit extra to support our local farmer, this is going to be devastating.

Again, what I dislike more, is that the US taxpayer is going to be liable for another billion dollar department.

And as your dollars are worth less and less, you'll have to work more. You won't have time to grow a garden. Where else are you going to get fresh produce? What about your neighbor's fresh honey? Let's say your kid is sick because they aren't getting the proper nutrition. You have your choice between GMO and pesticides.

You just got a call from your best friend who just got through brewing a few barrel of lager. "No you can't come over with that - it's against the law. I could be fined $10,000."

[url=http://www.dailypaul.com/node/144276]How and Why >>>> S510 IS A DANGEROUS BILL

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
If you want to get the facts on this bill, see how much contributions state senators have recieved from the food industry's corporate conglomerate:

maplight.org...

Go to that link and see how much your state senator has been bribed to support this abominable bill.

Now if this bill is meant to regulate major farming/dairy and other food industries, then why are they pushing in favor of this bill, while the smaller farming industries are apparantly against it for the most part?

I don't think people realize the power behind this bill, and the ability for agencies, such as the FDA to interpret and modify this bill as they see fit.

Remember, these agencies are operating with your tax dollars. They are now expanding and without doubt will soon be 'regulating' (raiding?) our farmer's markets and co-ops.

edit on 19-11-2010 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
This is B.S. Whats next, ban driving vehicles so we can't get to work and provide our family with shelter and food.

That is a fantastic idea, no better way to depopulate the world than ban the ability to function.

Though I dont understand depopulating the USofA, we have more land then we know what to do with, diversify a bit more from the coastal cities, but overall we are good.

If you cant force them to bend, then starve em and if they wont starve, smoke them out.. After this comes violence, and I dont mean from the sheeple, they are far to dependant on the system to fight it, or far to medicated these days.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
While simplistic, the phrase "Don't tread on me" has whatever teeth the individual stating such has.

I will NEVER mess with you or your property. I will NEVER force my will on you nor will I attempt in any way to make you do anything you don't wish to do.

Should you or another not allow me the same respect, you have determined that it's either you or I. I guess once the smoke clears that will be determined for us.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Our rights have been steadily diminishing ever since they were first given to us back in 1791. Someone said earlier that most of the population doesn't realize this is happening b/c we all have so much going on in our lives that we don't have time or energy to pay attention to what our government is doing, and sadly, I agree that this is the case.

All I can say is, as our freedoms diminish and we end up finding ourselves in a state of anarchy, at least I'm one of the few prepared for it. Whether this bill passes or doesn't pass doesn't matter, b/c if it doesn't, another one just like it will come along soon enough, and eventually, it will pass.

We all need to just face the reality that the government who is supposed to protect is not doing that. We need to protect ourselves.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

The UN plan to eradicate organic farming & to destroy the Natural Health Industry.

"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution, the time will come when medicine will organize itself into an undercover dictatorship . . . denying equal privileges. All such laws are un-American and despotic . . . " Benjamin Rush, Physician, Signer of Declaration of Independence

-”If you control the food supply, you control the people” – Henry Kissinger

source

and:

Take action now to stop S.510
Your voice needs to be heard on this issue. The vote on this bill has been delayed until after the Thanksgiving recess, so you have more time to oppose this dangerous legislation.

Call the Capitol Switchboard and ask to be directly connected to your Senator's office: 202-224-3121.

You can find other contact information for your US Senator at senate.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join