It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Scenario.You are sitting at home and a thread comes on ATS,saying that the power grid will fail in your country in about 1 hour due to a massive solar flare ,possibly taking weeks even months to return,you verify the story by crosschecking local and national news reports and confirm the truth.You have no supplies for such a situation ,relying completely on government services ie water, sewerage, power,phone,banks, never expecting this to really happen.Can you get what you need in a short time?
Do you panic or remain calm knowing that the longer you wait the more people are going to here about the news and rush the stores filling up trolleys and emptying shelves.
This situation will turn ugly very quickly, can you deal with it?
edit on 17-11-2010 by 12voltz because: of the unexpected

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I'm skint and owe money. So I'll sneak into the neighbors yard and wait for them to panic.

If nothing else, their dog is pretty fat.. there's a meal!

No really, I'd be dead. well, I think Id last as long as your average rampaging nutcase with a short knife. But I am a wee bit sneaky, so I might perhaps out last them a little..

Oh screw it, I'm amazing... I'll become the new king of new Australia. And the peons will rue the day they try to oust me! By golly!

EMBARGO!!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

In other words your screwed and will be eating a dog and your neighbours for the next week,nice work, good luck and godspeed(whatever that means)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Scenario.You are sitting at home and a thread comes on ATS,saying that the power grid will fail in your country in about 1 hour due to a massive solar flare ,possibly taking weeks even months to return,you verify the story by crosschecking local and national news reports and confirm the truth.You have no supplies for such a situation ,relying completely on government services ie water, sewerage, power,phone,banks, never expecting this to really happen.Can you get what you need in a short time?
Do you panic or remain calm knowing that the longer you wait the more people are going to here about the news and rush the stores filling up trolleys and emptying shelves.
This situation will turn ugly very quickly, can you deal with it?
edit on 17-11-2010 by 12voltz because: of the unexpected

We (our household, and many of our close friends) watch for this exact type of thing constantly. Each member of our group has access to a vehicle, each of us lives within 2-5 min drive from many sources of supplies, and has a complete compliment of tools necessary should stuff be locked down before things get ugly. each house also has it's own survival basics so even if bugging out without food, food could be had in very short order anyway. I think the biggest mistake people make in their preparedness is not being ready to survive the worst 100% of the time. take your gear that you have and try to survive using only it for at least one week without going to a store. Have your friends that you wish to include in your plans do the same. You will either be very impressed with you and yours, or quickly learn what you need to master to be able to fill the gaps.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I feel like I would be able to deal with it.

If a situation similar to this occurs, being a poor person, I would run to the store, buy what I could, steal the rest. If the lines will take to long, I will steal it all. I am not an advocate of stealing, but when it comes down to me having food, water, supplies or Wal-mart getting their 100 bucks, I'd pick surviving.

As far as protecting myself and supplies from other people, I think I have myself covered. If I can tell from the "eyeball test" that I cannot beat the person physically, I'd offer to become part of them. I have enough skills to figure it out ya know? Of course it would ruin my self esteem, but so would dieing.

This is something I've thought about quite a bit. It sucks because I am a poor person like I said. Luckily I'm 9 months away from being a non poor person anymore. Once that happens I will have plenty of food stocked up, water re stocked on a regular basis. That way if I get the news a little to late I won't be completely boned.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

In other words your screwed and will be eating a dog and your neighbours for the next week,nice work, good luck and godspeed(whatever that means)

It's not all good - you have not seen my neighbours!!!
I'm in for a hard time..

(haha cheers for the laugh tho, best timing ever !!!!)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
It's amazing but one single dramatic event could turn our whole system into anachy quite easily. I'm off to prepare I guess.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
reply to post by 12voltz

I feel like I would be able to deal with it.

If a situation similar to this occurs, being a poor person, I would run to the store, buy what I could, steal the rest. If the lines will take to long, I will steal it all. I am not an advocate of stealing, but when it comes down to me having food, water, supplies or Wal-mart getting their 100 bucks, I'd pick surviving.

As far as protecting myself and supplies from other people, I think I have myself covered. If I can tell from the "eyeball test" that I cannot beat the person physically, I'd offer to become part of them. I have enough skills to figure it out ya know? Of course it would ruin my self esteem, but so would dieing.

This is something I've thought about quite a bit. It sucks because I am a poor person like I said. Luckily I'm 9 months away from being a non poor person anymore. Once that happens I will have plenty of food stocked up, water re stocked on a regular basis. That way if I get the news a little to late I won't be completely boned.

I completely understand what you're saying. Most our our immediate circle are not terribly well off financially but we all have access to what we need quickly if it comes to that. Nobody wants to steal from others, but better to steal than to starve, as you said. Plus when it all falls apart on a larger scale, and it will, soon, money will quickly cease to have any value and stealing will be the norm (call it pillaging, it feels better, there you go). then we will be able to return to the way it should be. The strong and prepared will survive, the weak will inherit....nothing. Do you think a prepared and mentally fit poor person will survive better or worse than a unprepared banker, lawyer, accountant, ceo, etc.? But I really see too many people thinking way too much about what foods to stock up on, and not enough on how to actually survive. You must learn how to find gather and hunt food if it is required long before you worry about collecting canned goods. Canned goods will only feed you for so long, but ability to survive without them will take you from slowly starving waiting to run out of food to being able to thrive in relatively short order.
If even half of the people on here knew half as much as they think they do about actual survival, they would look at the situation a whole lot different. The best preparedness begins with having the tools and weapons to defend you and yours, and hunt/ collect/ dress your food. If you have those and some temporary shelter materials first and study up and practice your survival skills as often as possible, you will find you are less scared and better prepared for whatever comes.

Just my 2 cents (gross of course, 1.47 cents after taxes.)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by hpsidecar

I think if you are used to hardship ,mentally and physically you are going to cope better with going without especially if cash is no longer a factor,compared to someone well off but unprepared,sure they may have more food stocks readily in the fridge but if you eat it all quickly rather than rationing ,you are going to struggle.I believe the winners will be those who can deal with hunger and know improvisation skills,regardless of wealth.Hunger brings out your enemies.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If you are stuck in a city when power supplies go offline its going to be a difficult situation more so than country or remote areas,as news of impending doom will spread quickly and fuel and food supplies will be in high demand.
I can picture gridlock and general traffic chaos.Best to fix your situation now before it becomes reality.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I already have a fair amount of food and water.
I would alert the neighbours in my little rural community, fill every receptacle in the house with water and fill the car with fuel at the nearest garage.
Time to max the credit card I guess

edit on 17-11-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Sounds like a good plan.Is anybody here ready right now or will you be one of the "should have done that yesterday'group?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

reply to post by starchild10

Sounds like a good plan.Is anybody here ready right now or will you be one of the "should have done that yesterday'group?
We are a group of 8 that are almost entirely ready, and will be in the next few weeks. We started from the opposite end of most peoples list by acquiring hunting and fishing supplies first, then camping gear and shelter building supplies next, then lastly water, long shelf life dry or dried foods. Basically if we had to go tomorrow, we would be ready, but would need to hunt/trap/snare (we're equipped for all of it) in the first few days just to be sure.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
If you don't already have electronics in EMP proof containers, this would be your last chance to do so. Items like LED flashlights, radios, batter chargers, solar power units, night vision, etc, need to be in an enclosed metal container insulated from the outer layer. I'm not sure if having your vehicle in a metal shed would insulate it from an EMP but that sure would be nice to have after the event. Beyond that, store as much water as possible in tubs, bowls, cups, etc. Planing beats panic. Also, if you had items in a safe with an electronic lock, it best be left opened and stored safely.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I keep one to two hundred dollars in cash in my house at all times and our pantry is very well stocked with nonperishable food. Empty my bank accounts if I can, get some bottled water and wait it out. The only thing I really think I'd have to worry about is keeping warm as it gets quite cold (for me) where I live.

I could definately deal with it. if it came down to it, I'd off my downstairs neighbors and eat them.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by starshift
If you don't already have electronics in EMP proof containers, this would be your last chance to do so. Items like LED flashlights, radios, batter chargers, solar power units, night vision, etc, need to be in an enclosed metal container insulated from the outer layer. I'm not sure if having your vehicle in a metal shed would insulate it from an EMP but that sure would be nice to have after the event. Beyond that, store as much water as possible in tubs, bowls, cups, etc. Planing beats panic. Also, if you had items in a safe with an electronic lock, it best be left opened and stored safely.

People,
Please stop trying to think techno-junk and think as rustic as you can. Just your small list of stuff is enough that if you pack it and then have no motor transport, you are unable to carry it and food and survival supplies. If you look at it the way i do and worry most about the things you need to make a shelter (hammer, axe, tarps, rope, firestarters, machete, etc.), then hunting/trapping, and defense items next. If you then have to get out and away, without vehicle, it may be hard to carry still, but is possible. Those who cannot live without electronics are dead in the water if an emp goes off. Think about it, if you think "I'm fine, my lights and night vision goggles are in emp proof containers" then find out that someone sold you a container that does exactly nothing when a real emp goes off then what? You cannot test to find out can you?
Have alternatives. Bicycle, your own two feet and some good waterproof hikers, or even a horse if you have access to that will get you further in the end, believe it or not. Motor vehicles are good but if we can't use that then we need an alternative as well right? Plus any of the above, will get you further from the rioting hoards, martial law enforcers, alien abductors, zombies, or people from the hollow core of the earth, or whatever your scenario you believe in more effectively (read get you into more remote areas), if slower, than anything powered.
So if you have a car, or truck, or jeep, put a bike rack on the back of it, and have a good reliable bicycle and reasonable spares(spare inner tubes, foldable offroad mtb tire, patch kit, and basic tools for the bike). Then if your vehicle gets emp blasted you have an immediate alternative.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

If you live in an apartment, particularly in a crowded area, your first priority should be an escape plan. A way to get into a defensible home.
If you live in a home, you have tools, and a storage area. THerefore, all you really need is dried/canned food, water and water collection unit, a few chords of wood, seeds and weaponry.
There are three things, regardless of having anything else, that will make you perfectly safe. You have great bartering power if you have excess water, food or ammunition.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I thought I'd join this discussion.................

Firstly, I'm in the UK and live relatively remotely .....

I always have 3 dozen 5 litre drinking water in storage, several dozen cans of beans, rice pudding, custard, tuna etc etc

I became a member of costco and found myself adding the odd dozen of this and that each time i visited and then putting them into storage on a rotation system.

I have recently been equipping myself with cold weather clothing , thermals, layers and technical artic fleeces and trekking wear. Have several new pairs of walking boots and even bought some Tatical Gloves (Very good)..

Have axe, saw, commando cutting wires, several multi tools and survival knives and several tatical torches, some wind up and some solar powered......

I have found myself doing this without really planning too which I do find rather odd.. I used to buy irrelevant tech but have now switched my focus to more 'useful' stuff...... I don't know why I have switched focus, I JUST HAVE !!!

Where is everyone else on this thread from.?? UK or USA ??

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Hi Purple dog , i am in Australia and have been ready for a long time,i didnt purposefully set up my home for a bad situation it just turned out that way ,own power ,wind and solar ,water tanks ,self sufficient except for some food stuffs and cooking gas.So in a power outage situation ,as long as i have some food stocks i am going to carry on as normal except for going out in the car if fuel supplies are affected.No internet will be a drag ,not knowing whats going on around the information superhighway.Back to sitting around the wireless

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
luckily i just got paid today and theres a supermarket right across the street so in the short term yes i'd be fine. Long term though I don't know. I assume eventually paper money would become useless and people would be back to bartering and I havn't much to trade as electronice would become useless and I would never part with my books or guitar (because what else would keep me occupied when I'm not fighting for survival?). However I might be able to use my horticultural skill to barter with though it is up for debate. I don't really have the proper equipment to grow my own vegetables so if i wasn't forced to help someone else grow food i'd probably to forced to hunt in central park for squirrels and the like after a month or so of exhausting my resources, perhaps my cats could help with that. I havn't much defense against would-be raiders save for a rusty hippie-era machete (seems to have been used in nam dunno the story) and a fat mean three year old cat. Also I don't know how to drive and have no car so leaving the city would be a tough though probably inevitable option. All in all I'd say I have about a 50/50 chance of makin it out alive. What do you guys think?
edit on 18-11-2010 by jacktherer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join