It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silicone Cookware: Is It Safe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hello there I'm sure you've all seen these around, various cookware products made from heat treated silicone. Obviously the benefits being they can be heated, but are also incredibly flexible, and non-stick. This is all very well, but what I wonder is whether or not there are chemical agents in this cookware which make them 'dangerous' particularly after long term use?

We all know that aluminium foil and cling film both have chemicals which can be dangerous for development. Particularly the wide use of Bisphenol A in food products is a tad worrying to say the least. Although some retailers are now making steps to remove it from packaging sold in their stores, this is a long process, and for several generations, the damage has already been done!

I love to cook, and I love my food, but I am also very weary of chemicals being involved unnecessarily in the cooking process. So obviously I would like to take steps to avoid this inquired saturation of nasties in my diet!

Here's the type of stuff I'm talking about;

www.easycookware.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm leery of anything but cast iron cookware and always wary of putting anything soft and plastic-like into high temperatures. Trying to figure out if something is going to have harmful chemicals is wearying.

Cast iron is amazing- nothing sticks to it if you use it right. Much less expensive than that stuff you're talking about too ^^

Cast iron bakeware

edit on 16-11-2010 by StinkFist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkFist

Thanks for the reply StinkyFist going to check it out now! I'm at the point where I need to replenish a lot of cookware. Just got myself a massive wok and it is just the best! Fried noodles never tasted so good!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I've thought about buying some of those cake trays & stuff for convenience in the past but was worried about what kind of chemicals silicone liberates at high temperatures.
All plastics give off toxic chemicals when they're heated & to get an idea of the kind of damage silcones can do at body temps, google what happens to implant wearers when they leak... not nice! Got to be even more toxic when it's broken down with heat. Carcinogenic?

I'm with Stink on this one... cast iron (or glass) cookware. Both are made with chemicals that are either inert or already present in the human body.

EDIT:
ps, I stay clear of aluminium too, since most foods have a pH that dissolves a small amount of the pan. Supposed to be a link between ali & altzheimers.
edit on 24-11-2010 by HelionPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by HelionPrime

Hey Helion! Thanks for the reply I have to agree with you there. I have since opted for Pyrex mostly and a few cast Iron pots.

I know what you mean about convenience that's why they caught my eye too. I thought for making cakes in particular they would be good because you could just pop them out after!

new topics

top topics

join