It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is happening on Jupiter. A turbulent plume is breaking through the giant planet's cloudt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
REVIVAL ON JUPITER: Think of the turmoil at the sea surface just before a massive submarine emerges from depth. Something like that is happening on Jupiter. A turbulent plume is breaking through the giant planet's cloudtops in the south equatorial zone, heralding the emergence of ... what? Scroll past this Nov. 14th photo from astrophotographer Paul Haese of Glenalta, South Australia for further discussion The plume, circled in Haese's photo and known to astronomers as the "SEB Revival Spot," is a sign that Jupiter's South Equatorial Belt (SEB) is about to return. The great brown belt disappeared earlier this year, leaving Jupiter without one of its signature stripes. No one knows where the SEB went, although some researchers have speculated that it sank beneath high altitude clouds and might now be bobbing back to the top.

Christopher Go of the Philippines first noticed the Revival Spot on Nov. 9th. At first it was small and white and required careful astrophotography to detect. Only five days later, it is expanding rapidly and darkening; soon, it could become visible to novices in the eyepieces of backyard telescopes. Stay tuned for updates.

more images: from Brian Combs of Buena Vista, GA; from John Nassr of Baguio, Philippines; from David Kolb of Lawrence, KS
spaceweather.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Is it the Chinese? I hear their subs pop up here and there..

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
That looks like a lower latitude than where the Comet Shoemaker-Levys' fragments hit.
I'm going to go with the articles statement that the missing brown band is just bobbing back up to the surface after some down time.

David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Just to clarify for some readers, as sometimes I see outlandish comments regarding this, I'd like to clear up the consistency of Jupiter.

The outer atmosphere is mostly hydrogen ranging from room temperature because it swirls around the planet at break-neck speed, and some ices (NOT h20, but NH4, CO2, ammonia, etc), and some Helium. these all are from room temp- -200 Fahrenheit. deeper down, it is mostly denser methane gas, that is so dense, it is almost liquid, and very sluggish in movement. there is also a large portion of ammonia gas there too. in the center, is hydrogen gas that is so compressed, it acts almost as a solid, but it is not physically possible to freeze hydrogen. THERE IS NO ROCK CORE. when comets and meteors hit jupiter, imagine dropping a raisin into a cup of pudding... but having that raisin almost fully disintegrate before hitting the actual pudding.

glad we clarified that.

now, as for something to be coming up from those clouds, "like a submarine in a naval exercise"... that is not possible. I doubt even alien ships could move through that pudding cup of a planet. what you are seeing is perhaps an upwelling of gas, similar to a CO2 release that Lakes sometimes have. That is my take on it.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Must be the reptilians preparing to attack.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
First video chronicles the disappearance of the SEB. Second video discusses this as well, in addition to a mysterious flash of light and evidence of something possibly hitting the planet.

The second video tells us that this isn't the first time Jupiter's SEB has vanished. The last occurance was during the 1970s. It also suggests that the flash of light and the apparent impact area (dark spot) are due to a collision with a meteor. It does seem interesting that the SEB started to disappear soon after the mysterious collision.
edit on 16-11-2010 by DamaSan because: extra details

Jupiter has been very interesting lately... Like so many others, I can't help but think about the movie 2010: The Year We Make Contact
edit on 16-11-2010 by DamaSan because: closing thoughts

edit on 16-11-2010 by DamaSan because: spelling

top topics

join