It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Arab Militiamen in Sudan Said to Use Rape as Weapon of Ethni

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
In a shocking Washington Post news article, the horrors of the Sudan are coming to light. In addition to the brutal slayings in an attempt to eliminate the blacks, the Arab attackers are raping the blacks in hopes of making light babies as the story says. This is very disturbing and there is no doubt that something needs to be done quickly to stop these horrors from continuing.

'We Want to Make a Light Baby'
GENEINA, Sudan, June 29 -- At first light on Sunday, three young women walked into a scrubby field just outside their refugee camp in West Darfur. They had gone out to collect straw for their family's donkeys. They recalled thinking that the Arab militiamen who were attacking African tribes at night would still be asleep. But six men grabbed them, yelling Arabic slurs such as "zurga" and "abid," meaning "black" and "slave." Then the men raped them, beat them and left them on the ground, they said.

"They grabbed my donkey and my straw and said, 'Black girl, you are too dark. You are like a dog. We want to make a light baby,' " said Sawela Suliman, 22, showing slashes from a where a whip struck her thighs as her father held up a police and health report with details of the attack. "They said, 'You get out of this area and leave the child when it's made.' "

Suliman's father, a tall, proud man dressed in a flowing white robe, cried as she described the rape. It was not an isolated incident, according to human rights officials and aid workers in this region of western Sudan, where 1.2 million Africans have been driven from their lands by government-backed Arab militias, tribal fighters known as Janjaweed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 30-6-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It's an effective 'tool' or war. Rape, that is. Look what happened in Rwanda. It's estimated that thousands and thousands of women were raped, and many of them hate their children. It's an effective way to breed more hatred, I suppose. It's so sad to hear about.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
You would think that after the Rwandan episode that the UN would be strongly urging to expedite actions to halt these terrible atrocities. What do they do? drive by drop off a few sacks of flour & water and say "good luck, be back next week" We're talking genocide occuring right now and this has to be stopped.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
You would think that after the Rwandan episode that the UN would be strongly urging to expedite actions to halt these terrible atrocities. What do they do? drive by drop off a few sacks of flour & water and say "good luck, be back next week" We're talking genocide occuring right now and this has to be stopped.

Yup. And for every sack of flour and water they drop off (which the militia's take control of anyway) that's less money the local warlords have to spend on food and more they can spend on weapons. Gotta love the geniuses at the UN.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Unfortunately, that seems to be the way it works, Heir.
Doesn't seem to be much learned from occurences in the past.
The fact that virtually nothing is being done further shows the innefficiency of the UN.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
When I hear stuff like this, I wonder if there is any hope for the human race, if there is any good in us. Sure, we do good things, but when such barbaric acts come to light, it seems like it erases any goodwill we, as the human race, try to achieve.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
What makes no sense to me is how Sudan can have a seat in the Human Rights division of the UN. Makes me sick!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not only that but women are not the only ones being raped, school children as well, according to Amesty International.

web.amnesty.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
When I hear stuff like this, I wonder if there is any hope for the human race, if there is any good in us. Sure, we do good things, but when such barbaric acts come to light, it seems like it erases any goodwill we, as the human race, try to achieve.

Its sad, but war is essential to humanity. There will never be total world peace. Pipe dreams.

AF1

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Is there oil in Sudan?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I'm wondering why we (United States) continues to turn a deaf ear and a blind eye where Africa is concerned? Uganda for instance receives genetically modified food from us which is not really fit to eat and drugs to fight disease that are way over their expiration date. Why do we stand by and do nothing in places like Rwanda and Sudan? Is it because those countries have nothing like oil that we want? I think there is a larger issue here.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MChrisRd
I'm wondering why we (United States) continues to turn a deaf ear and a blind eye where Africa is concerned? Uganda for instance receives genetically modified food from us which is not really fit to eat and drugs to fight disease that are way over their expiration date. Why do we stand by and do nothing in places like Rwanda and Sudan? Is it because those countries have nothing like oil that we want? I think there is a larger issue here.

The US is not turning a deaf ear to the situation, and yes the Sudan is an oil rich country....

Washington has enlisted Libya's help in getting aid to western Sudan where thousands of people have been driven from their homes by war and rampaging militias, the U.S. national security adviser said yesterday.

National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice said the administration of President George W. Bush has been active in bringing attention to the crisis in Darfur, and Secretary of State Colin Powell's scheduled trip to Sudan this week will further highlight the "really difficult situation there.

"We're working with others, with the Libyans, to try to get a third route for supplies to get in to Darfur," she told "Fox News Sunday," providing no further details regarding the Libyan role.

Link to Story

It is unfair to attack the US on this matter, on one hand everywhere you look the US is an evil occupying bully of a country and should mind it's own business, and then views like this where we are wrong for not "doing more" to help the situation. That is simply unfair, the United Nations is the entity that needs to start controlling this situation and suggest a military intervention if necessary, although seeing that the Sudan is on the human rights commision, this further shows the UN for what it is, a failure...

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Unfortunately, this is not new. People have been asking for years why this issue was ignored, why Jesse Jackson and other "leaders" have been silent. Some possible answers... money, money and money.

www.anti-slavery.org...
www.davidstuff.com...
www.propertyrightsresearch.org...

And many, many more. There has got to be some swift, decisive and very aggressive action taken on this. Unfortunately the U.S. is not the country to do it, apparently. No way we're going to get the money approved to send people over there and even if we could, nobody would ever believe it was humanitarian in nature. Any action the U.S. takes anywhere is going to be seen as hostile and only for oil. If we help arm anyone it will also be seen as a hostile move against the government. Since they're now Human Rights bigwigs at the UN, it seems that is where the pressure needs to come from, but they won't do anything either. So what's the answer?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
This isnt anything new.

Years ago, i remeber reading, right after I got back from Saudi, How Arabs go into Sudan and Somolia, kidnap black women as sex slaves, which are often sold in other Arab countries. They continue to practice the slave trade under everyones noses.

Why havent we done anything to stop this?

Well, we tried that once in Somolia, and that got us no where.

So, we dont do it, pure and simple.

This is a job for the UN to take care of. Sanctions? Political and economic pressure? We can try those and hope they work, but it is doubtful.

We must find out who backs these people, and cut the feeding tube off.

top topics

join