It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran blocked, but Saudis on women's agency at UN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

www.nationalpost.com

Iran failed yesterday to secure a seat on the board running the new UN super agency for women in the face of a fierce diplomatic onslaught against its rights record.

But Saudi Arabia, criticized for refusing even to let women drive, got an automatic seat and rights groups said they will now seek to throw the spotlight on the kingdom's record.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Now it can be seen clearly that most women's right groups are used as a political tool, not to mention, even human right groups are used as political tools.

This is just a failed group, I don't get the point of such a group??

If you have such groups, shouldn't every nation who want to join it, be allowed to join it? And therefore allow its nation's women's right to be criticized, and give itself the opportunity to criticize other nation's women's rights?

What a failed agency, and what a complete waste of money.

What are your thoughts on this hypocritical move by the US?

The United States organized a global diplomatic effort to block Iran from the board, with its ambassadors approaching dozens of foreign ministries to argue that the Islamic republic’s human rights record would send the wrong message about the new body.

www.nytimes.com...

Embarrassing really, using women as a tool for politics. It just shows how desperate the US actually is

Thoughts/

ooz

www.nationalpost.com

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
kinda funny... its really a non start tho for the us. I guess the way the us sees it is that it is the lesser of the two evils

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper2137
kinda funny... its really a non start tho for the us. I guess the way the us sees it is that it is the lesser of the two evils

So you are saying it has nothing to do with US troops being in Saudi Arabia, and Saudi Arabia buying US depth, and Saudi Arabia allowing US access to its oil fields. You are saying that Saudi Arabian human rights, and women's right is better than Iran?

Last I checked there are more women studying science/engineering in Iran than any country in the world.

I will stick to my argument: US using women's right + human's right as a political tool. So desperate and miserable

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

www.nationalpost.com

Iran failed yesterday to secure a seat on the board running the new UN super agency for women in the face of a fierce diplomatic onslaught against its rights record.

But Saudi Arabia, criticized for refusing even to let women drive, got an automatic seat and rights groups said they will now seek to throw the spotlight on the kingdom's record.

I'm sure this has more to do with how much property the Saudis own/ invest in the US.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
There are more than a few (not just the Saudi's) who have some serious human rights issues going down in country. However, with regards to Iran - they were a member in 2009 remember? It is a rotating list...

Here is the list - 2010 for those interested...

Africa: Angola, Cape Verde, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Ethiopia, Lesotho, Libya, Nigeria and Tanzania

Asia: Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Republic of Korea and Timor-Leste

Eastern Europe: Estonia, Hungary, Russian Federation and Ukraine

Latin America and the Caribbean: Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada and Peru

Western Europe: Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg and Sweden

Contributing Countries: Mexico, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Spain, United Kingdom and United States

edit on 11-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I thought this agency was new and just created this year?
I'm lost now.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Ah - ok - so this is a newly created board as of July 2nd - In that case, I can't remember what board I was referencing from last year then, but I do remember specifically remarking on both Iran and the Congo being members (on a discussion here) I will try to look around and see if I can find it and reference back, if relevant...

edit on 11-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

The manner in which Iran treats its women is the reason for the objection and blocking. The Saudi's on the other hand have taken steps to allow greater freedom to women within their country and culture. The ruling council has restricted the ability of clerics to issue their own edicts. Recently the Saudi Government not only reprimanded a cleric for calling for a boycott of a food chain for employing females as cashiers, but supported the food chain in their actions to expand the role of women.

Props though for once again showing your blind hatred of the US by ignoring the plight of women in Iran and instead focusing on the US, who was objecting to a country who treats their women as property instead of people.

Why would you put Iran on a women's right council? What makes Iran qualified to sit on a council that promotes womens rights?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
And Canada looses it seat on the SECURITY COUNCIL,, u know Canada, the one nation reverered for its Peace keeping military ideas, well after afganistan not so much peace keeper reputation, anymore but,, hey i can see where INDIA would be a much better Peace Keeper role on said SECURITY COUNCIL.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Very good.

Prince Al-"Something" owns a majority of Citi as well. Guess who owns a ****-load of Citi too?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
And Canada looses it seat on the SECURITY COUNCIL,, u know Canada, the one nation reverered for its Peace keeping military ideas, well after afganistan not so much peace keeper reputation, anymore but,, hey i can see where INDIA would be a much better Peace Keeper role on said SECURITY COUNCIL.

I was under the impression Canada lost their seat on the UN because of heavy lobbying from the UAE. Honestly I am amazed the US would support adding more permanent members to the security council. I would like to see other emerging powers who have a different take on things to be more active in world affairs.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Iran’s Continued Crackdown on Women

This happened just days before Iranian officials arrested five female lawyers. Three were returning from abroad when they were detained at the airport in Tehran.

Maryam Kianersi, Sara Sabaghian and Maryam Karbasi were called a threat to national security and accused of “violating the Islamic Republic’s moral standards while outside Iran.”

Three of them had also signed a petition calling for the release of another human rights lawyer, Nasrin Sotoudeh, who is now on a hunger strike in Iran.

Hmmm ok..

top topics

join