It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto trying to circumvent USDA testing GM Food.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Genetically Engineered Foods and New Action Alert

Then we have genetic engineering giant Monsanto. They paired with the German company KWS SAAT AG, one of the world’s leading plant breeders, to produce a variety of sugar beets containing the Roundup Ready gene. This gene ensures that the beets will tolerate applications of extremely toxic Roundup agricultural herbicides. But as we reported last year, a US district court ruled that they couldn’t proceed with production until the USDA completed a full Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), which will be ready in May 2012. Monsanto and KWS didn’t want to wait. They filed a petition with the USDA for “partial deregulation,” which would allow them to continue production of the GE beets while the research for the EIS was ongoing—in other words, to let them totally circumvent the rules. And the USDA is considering it, and is accepting public comment on it for thirty days (hence our Action Alert below).

USDA News Release

Even More Dangers Linked to GM "Foods"

I get notices about these in my email- this just came today. I find what Monsanto and its collaborating companies are doing to be utterly reprehensible. There's a link to their petition thing, if you're interested in sending one, but I've just posted this here mainly to point out that they're trying to circumvent testing...again.

join